A&H

Match Control - AA

DaleM

Took on my first game of the season on Sunday. An U17 fixture between Greens & Whites which finished 7-3 to the home side (Greens). Handed out 3 cards on the day, all to Green players. It was a well-contested game with only 1-2 poor challenges.

The first came fairly early on in the first-half, around 25 mins in. After being fouled in the middle of the park, I blow for a Green FK, only for the Green lad proceeded to get up and push his White counterpart a couple of times. I opted for a booking (for adopting an aggressive attitude) but continued with the Green FK. The Green captain pointed out that all it was his first offence and that a warning would have sufficed, to which I responded that as he'd raised his hands in any manner, he could have been deemed lucky to escape a red.

Second half, a similar situation unfolded in the 65th minute. Centre-half for Whites pulls back a Green and I award the FK. After I blow, the lad gets up, has a moan and calls his marker a 'fat ****', which earns him a booking.

The third was a booking for a late challenge (reckless play) from the Green captain in the 80th. I actually played a decent advantage and went back for the booking, so happy with that. He held his hands up and admitted he'd mistimed it.

I'm fairly confident I got these right, and I have to admit to feeling as though my performance on Sunday was the best of the 10 or so I've reffed so far (having no major decisions to make helps I suppose!).

What makes me wonder though is whether there is a way to get a grip on this a little better to ensure no threat to my match control? I've awarded the team the free-kick for the offence on two occasions, and yet ended cautioning their players. Is it a case of them being a bit stupid? Would a word have sufficed for the first incident or would I have been inviting problems later on?

First ever open-age game this weekend so though it's not much of a controversy, I thought I'd be best to open it up to discussion.

The Referee Store
Sounds like you handled it pretty well. All three incidents definitely worthy of cards and not your fault if players want to try and take the law into their own hands. Only thought to consider .. on the second incident, what (and in what manner) would the Green player have needed to say to his opponent for it to have been an OFFINABUS Red card from your perspective??

You could make a convincing case that the phrase "you fat ****" ticks all three of the boxes for Offensive, Insulting and Abusive, depending of course what lies behind the stars ..... :)

You're right Russell, I could have quite easily sent him off for it. I opted for a caution because I felt the nature of the match was very much 'well-intended', with the two above incidents being a clear outliars if you like. He was reacting to a challenge, so he did have something to be frustrated at (though that's of course not always an excuse).

Had it a fierce match, I might well have shown a red, but in this instance I didn't feel it was warranted - if anything I reckon it'd have descended into a bit of a farce had I done so. As for what he'd have needed to say, and in what manner, to actually receive a red card for OFFINABUS in a match like that, I'd probably say it'd have had to be 'unprovoked', discriminatory, threatening etc, or even better, aimed at me ;)

All seems good to me. Rarely have to card for offinabus directed at other players, a very quick vocal intervention usually works for me. One chance only per half, but direct it at me and there's no chances and its never yellow.........

Last edited:
IF..... that was a fat see you next tuesday.... i would have given a straight red for foul and abusive language. And for the Green Captain telling me what i should do, a quite word for him methinks....... but i agree you done well.

For pull on the second foul I might have given a caution for but in the cases where you've cautioned bang on

You've handled these incidents well, so no worries there.
I always love the 'it's his first offence ref!'....I mean, have they ever stopped to think about what they're really saying from that argument?
You get ONE leg breaking tackle a game, but only one! :p
In answer to your concern that 2 of these incidents blew up -sometimes if you see an indication that a player is going to get aggressive you can move in there sooner. similarly, if it's a bad foul you should be getting over there. Sometimes players will just square up out of the blue and there's nothing you can do about it.
I'd only suggest you consider whether there were any niggle claims during the match....the player that squared up, were there complaints that he had copped minor fouls earlier in the match that you didn't give? Whether it's a small late tackle, pushing in the back, anything like that? If so that may explain the aggression and it may be something you've missed.
But odds are these just came out of the blue. It happens. I once had an U/18 match. 4 red cards - all in isolated incidents (2 for VC, 2 for DOGSO), yet overall the match was calm and easy to referee!

Well done: It's really pleasing to see you on top of dealing with USB/AA offences so proactively. It's similar to my mindset: I'm happy to 'manage' (to some degree) footballing offences, but my tolerance level drops like a stone when it is anything off the ball or handbags related. There's no need for it, and it's important to stamp out that behaviour early.

i think everyonje seems to have covered it all ... I say well done on all decisions. I could understand the captain saying 'its his first one' if it was a challenge, but as @Mewcenary said, no need for handbags - leave it in the dressing room, and if both had a little push then yellow a piece.

also nailed on still giving the FK to greens, remember the incident happened at a 'dead ball' so you deal with the incident and restart as always planned.

great bit of refereeing that chappie! congrats

You're right Russell, I could have quite easily sent him off for it. I opted for a caution because I felt the nature of the match was very much 'well-intended', with the two above incidents being a clear outliars if you like. He was reacting to a challenge, so he did have something to be frustrated at (though that's of course not always an excuse).

Had it a fierce match, I might well have shown a red, but in this instance I didn't feel it was warranted - if anything I reckon it'd have descended into a bit of a farce had I done so. As for what he'd have needed to say, and in what manner, to actually receive a red card for OFFINABUS in a match like that, I'd probably say it'd have had to be 'unprovoked', discriminatory, threatening etc, or even better, aimed at me ;)

What was the caution for? What offence?

Thanks for the above posts & feedback by the way - didn't realise until after I'd replied there as I'd came straight in from a notification.

If it's sufficiently offensive to be starred out on here.....it's offensive enough to be dismissed for........

When i star a swear word i put a star in for every letter (no, i don't know why either) so i assumed it was the C word although there are several available i think footballers prefer the C one best

Back