A&H

Citee Pool then

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for the benefit of little moi, who has not seen any of this match, was this Milner offside/not offside a deliberate touch or a deflection?

The Referee Store
So for the benefit of little moi, who has not seen any of this match, was this Milner offside/not offside a deliberate touch or a deflection?

It is irrelevant as the ball was played by Karius and then to Milner, not a City player.

De Bruyne and Milner challenged for the ball after Karius made a save. It wasn't initially clear whether De Bruyne or Milner sent the ball into the path of Sane who scored. Replays show it was Milner who last touched the ball, and calling it a deflection would be extremely generous, suggesting the goal should have stood.

And further, at the time the ball was last played by a Manchester City player, there were no Manchester City players in offside position.
Not strictly true. There's evidence by which you could argue Jesus was in an offside position at the point at which de Bruyne played the ball in. However, he had no further part to play in the action unless you consider him to be the Manchester City player who played the final ball to Sane.
That said, there was no offside offence and someone got it wrong. My finger is pointed at the referee. IMO, the assistant referee was just doing his job.

Sure UEFA's statue behind the goal, more commonly known as AAR, would have had the best view out of the 3 officials. Did he get involved at all or are they not allowed to get involved & advise on this sort of incident? Remain unconvinced as to the benefits of AARs given the number of incidents missed/ignored that take place right under their noses.

End of the day replays show the officials got it wrong, but over 180 minutes despite City's possessional dominance Karius was rarely tested, City conceded 5 goals and ultimately wasn't good enough to go through!

Agree with above, these officials like to look on their toes for the cameras when the ball is next to them but any other help is minimal
Having acted as one, as things stand, its purely window dressing

Letting my ignorance show, I thought the AAR's were just there for goal/no goal. Aren't they obsolete with GLT?

What worries me is how many referees are talking about the significance of whether Milner's touch was a deliberate play or not. That is totally irrelevant, and would only be relevant if the touch came at some point between De Bruyne playing the ball in and Karius clearing it, which it obviously didn't.

I'm going to ask a question here. I know the answer but I'd like more feedback and maybe it will help clear up for others possibly reading this.

I've seen it mentioned a number of times now on social media when discussing why the flag went up because nobody was offside. A lot of people are "clearing up the rules" by stating it was offside because the goalkeeper is ahead of Sane and leaving only one Liverpool defender either in-line or behind Sane...therefore Sane has to be offside because "there has to be two players either in-line or behind Sane" so if Ederson was on his line, that would be two players so Sane would be onside however Sane is offside because there is only one players between him and the goal.

Sane clearly offside position. The only thing up for debate is how the ball got to him

For me, the AAR must help here.

Attachments

• IMG_6227.PNG
    IMG_6227.PNG
    3 MB · Views: 13
Sane clearly offside position. The only thing up for debate is how the ball got to him

For me, the AAR must help here.

Why is he offside? There is a Liverpool player behind him? And how does your comment above correlant with Rusty Ref's post above that he feels that it's irrelevant how the ball got to him because it was obviously a pass from KDB. Seems to be some confusion here about when/if ever Sane was offside, who played the ball to him and why the flag went up!

What worries me is how many referees are talking about the significance of whether Milner's touch was a deliberate play or not. That is totally irrelevant, and would only be relevant if the touch came at some point between De Bruyne playing the ball in and Karius clearing it, which it obviously didn't.

Why is he offside? You are on the wind up? Define offside!

Clue, its something to do with the ball and the SECOND last opponent

Where is the second last opponent please?

Edit purely based on being in an offside position, leaving aside the debate over how the ball got to him

Attachments

• IMG_6227.PNG
    IMG_6227.PNG
    3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

But why is that relevant at that stage? The pass was played by De Bruyne when Sane was clearly onside. Karius punched the ball, Milner touched it to Sane, Sane scored. You asked the question or said "the only thing up for debate is how the ball got to him." It's not up for debate. The ball came off Milner. That's a fact, not a debate. But I thought it had already been discussed that the mistake was because the officials deemed a City player to have made the touch not Milner. So it's not a debate, it's an error of judgement. I thought you were saying it was still up for debate now.

Your post was confusing because you stated "Sane clearly offside position". At no point was he in an offside position because he was onside when KDB made the pass and then Karius/Milner touched it and he was still and never was in an offside position. I misunderstood what you meant.

Easy, easy Ciley, i think he might have mixed it up with the "or the last 2 defenders". @NorthernLondonRef, the minute the keeper moves away and leaves defenders behind he is considered as second last defender. The laws never said anything about a keeper!

There has to be a breakdown of communication here

Right, the AR flagged because Sane is clearly in an offside position

The officials, between them, could not confirm who played the ball.

thus, the debate, real time last night was, not is Sane in an offside position because its fact that he was. The debate was, who played the ball to him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back