A&H

Citee Pool then

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Somewhat controversial finish in Rome. At 2-0, Fazio already on a yellow, got a final warning after bucket loads of dissent at a free kick, then cynically took out Iniesta, but avoided a 2nd yellow. Understandably Barca not happy. By all accounts though, Barca were poor and Roma deserved the win over 2 legs.

Not seen replay of alleged push by Sterling for City goal but if so it balances the penalty not given in first leg. Nowt balances the two (three?) awful offside decisions at crucial points of each game.

Pep and that ref have history.

And Spanish officials when Pep's wearing a ribbon for Catalunyan political prisoners? Only at uefa....

Last edited:
Watched first 60 minutes or so and thought the ref did brilliantly from my position in a packed sports bar in Birmingham. As all fellow refs on here, I’m sure we could all see most of the cards were coming out when they did and happy too to see Pep in the Stand after his rant.

I wasn’t bothered who won but happy too to see c0ck sure Barca dumped out.

Last edited:
Not seen replay of alleged push by Sterling for City goal but if so it balances the penalty not given in first leg. Nowt balances the two (three?) awful offside decisions at crucial points of each game.

Pep and that ref have history.

And Spanish officials when Pep's wearing a ribbon for Catalunyan political prisoners? Only at uefa....

A better move, imo, would have been to give this game to the Scottish team who are in Munich tonight, Weds
Akin to Atkinson reffing Wales v ireland at the Euros
Collum has reffed Munich and Seville before, but not City or Liverpool.
I dont for one moment think the ref follows Pep around trying to knock him out cups!
Last nights offside cant be described as awful either, I defy 100/100 of us to see it was played by Milner, one view, first time.
Also strong refereeing, Pep thinking he is the man by pulling his players away fom the ref at ht but only so HE could have a go at him himself! As we say often on here relating to grass roots,a teams behaviour is usually a reflection of the sidelines, quite right to bin him, if managers like that want a word, ask nicely in private, do not undermine the referee in front of millions!

Edit forgot to add, AR flagging to alert attention to a possible offside I can understand, the AAR should have been able to help out, he would have had the best view of everybody to tell it was hit by Milner.

Last edited:
I am keen to to take something away from the officials last night. The cards were good, the two goal decisions were human error but there's a but... the ref and AR2 in particular did not inspire confidence from the pre-match respect ceremonials. It also turned out AR1 was not really quick enough to keep up a few times. They looked just a little bit dishevelled. Could it be something as simple as a late flight... or is it something in the way Lahoz has quite a relaxed approach... do you know what I mean... could the whole team have looked a bit tighter and been a bit sterner from the off - poker faces rather than friendly faces for this one?

A better move, imo, would have been to give this game to the Scottish team who are in Munich tonight, Weds
Akin to Atkinson reffing Wales v ireland at the Euros
Collum has reffed Munich and Seville before, but not City or Liverpool.
I dont for one moment think the ref follows Pep around trying to knock him out cups!
Last nights offside cant be described as awful either, I defy 100/100 of us to see it was played by Milner, one view, first time.
Also strong refereeing, Pep thinking he is the man by pulling his players away fom the ref at ht but only so HE could have a go at him himself! As we say often on here relating to grass roots,a teams behaviour is usually a reflection of the sidelines, quite right to bin him, if managers like that want a word, ask nicely in private, do not undermine the referee in front of millions!

Edit forgot to add, AR flagging to alert attention to a possible offside I can understand, the AAR should have been able to help out, he would have had the best view of everybody to tell it was hit by Milner.
Yep, I saw it from 100 yards away (but not my son next to me) but three professional officials close to it couldn't. What was the AR saying on the coms? AR: "I don't know who it came off", AAR "neither do I", CR: "Really?"

Hard decision to make for the offside but I can't believe that three of the supposed top officials in the world can't see that the ball comes of Milner. Disappointing really.

Yep, I saw it from 100 yards away (but not my son next to me) but three professional officials close to it couldn't. What was the AR saying on the coms? AR: "I don't know who it came off", AAR "neither do I", CR: "Really?"

Exact same as you on your public park game this weekend, if you aint seen it....

It looks to me like the AR indeed is not sure who played it and is asking that question. The AAR is best placed for me but as we know all too well, their intervention is few and far between.

Exact same as you on your public park game this weekend, if you aint seen it....
He didn't see it come off a City player but that's what he gave. None of them saw it - or if the AAR did (perhaps implied by your last post) and didn't intervene, that is truly shocking. As for alexgr's, "I can't believe that three of the supposed top officials in the world can't see that the ball comes of Milner", if I said that, the "c" word would be out!

3 crucial officiating mistakes in 3 crucial games. Just saying.

He didn't see it come off a City player but that's what he gave. None of them saw it - or if the AAR did (perhaps implied by your last post) and didn't intervene, that is truly shocking. As for alexgr's, "I can't believe that three of the supposed top officials in the world can't see that the ball comes of Milner", if I said that, the "c" word would be out!

Oh give over, you think anything that goes against city is a conspiracy.

The AR alerted the referee to someone being in an offside position, which the City player was, watching it live, for me, and I confess am not crystal on this, the AR is also asking/checking with the other officials re who played it. That is the role of the AR, to alert the referee of someone being in an offside position. Given the ref, the aar, and clearly the AR, were unable to be sure of who played the bal, then ten times out of ten, sorry, but, offside will be given.
You officiating your own game at the weekend will also give offside here
And, if you wait till am at my laptop, I will show you a similar clip from a different game at the weekend, where, I am factually aware ref and AR were unsure, so, offside it was, (Wrongly but as neither could be sure, what else were they meant to do, it will just prove this incident is not football being anti City, just that, hey these things happen)

The AR alerted the referee to someone being in an offside position, which the City player was, watching it live, for me, and I confess am not crystal on this, the AR is also asking/checking with the other officials re who played it. That is the role of the AR, to alert the referee of someone being in an offside position. Given the ref, the aar, and clearly the AR, were unable to be sure of who played the bal, then ten times out of ten, sorry, but, offside will be given.
You officiating your own game at the weekend will also give offside here
And, if you wait till am at my laptop, I will show you a similar clip from a different game at the weekend, where, I am factually aware ref and AR were unsure, so, offside it was, (Wrongly but as neither could be sure, what else were they meant to do, it will just prove this incident is not football being anti City, just that, hey these things happen)
Exactly right. You can very clearly see that after raising his flag, instead of dropping it to horizontal as you would to signal offside, he drops it completely and then his hand goes to his mouth to talk over comms. Either one of the ref or the AAR believed he was it played by the city player, or even possibly they went with the balance of probability and gave the offside.

or is it something in the way Lahoz has quite a relaxed approach... do you know what I mean... could the whole team have looked a bit tighter and been a bit sterner from the off - poker faces rather than friendly faces for this one?

Last night the fantastic Irmatov from Uzbekistan did a Champions League semifinal in Mexico as part of a referee exchange program. He was excellent and handled the match a lot better than I expected him to. He did a lot of smiling when confronted with dissent or when he made a tough decision and it worked for him. It looked real. When Lahoz did his smiling thing it felt fake and like he wanted to be the center of attention.

It’s a Conspiracy I reckon... :blackeye: .......Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has been charged with improper conduct and being sent off during Tuesday's Champions League defeat by Liverpool.

European governing body Uefa has also charged Liverpool after fireworks were set off and objects thrown inside Etihad Stadium.

Guardiola was sent to the stands after confronting referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz on the pitch at half-time during the quarter-final second-leg 2-1 defeat.

The case will be heard on 31 May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back