A&H

Yesterday's Game

Danny

Yesterday I took charge of a U13 game between two very physical teams. I was pre warned by the home manager the day before that saying the away manager was gobby and the players far too physical and gobby also.

So this on board I decided to change my pre match chat the the teams, although I'm still developing my pre match chat. I decided to tell the away teams I know of the history and expect a fair game and honest game. If I see it, I give it!

During the game nothing much happened that was controversial. Just things that I need to improve on. I found I was more observant with the CAR'S for offside which I was pleased with, but again during the game twice this time, I lost my bearings a little and pointed in the wrong direction for the throw. For some reason I'm doing this once a game.

I think I got a lot of the decisions right, but a couple play on my mind on reflection. At one point I gave a corner instead of a goal kick. The away team adament it was a Goal Kick and judging by the home team players reaction. Im inclined to believe that, but stood by my decision. Unfortunately it lead to a 10th goal, 9-1 to home team.

A couple of Soft penalty claimed from parents I waved off.

Then at one point an away player (large lad) "shouts ref he's just called me a fat *******" i didn't acknowledge this as I didn't hear it, but was I right to?

Does anyone have any tips how I dealt with various situations and how I got the arms wrong with a couple of throws.

I don't think I was vocal enough through the game, but don't want to be shouting good tackle all the time etc, if that makes sense.

The Referee Store
Time is your best friend, take it when you need to. The temptation to go quickly to show control and authority is strong, slow it all down a bit and you will benefit hugely.

For throw ins I will always pause a moment to judge reactions. It's all it takes. At corners if it's 50/50 or you are not sure then always go defensive. Better to be criticised for a goal kick rather than having your ear chewed off as the home side pick the ball out of the net.

Lastly I wouldn't pay much regard to one managers opinion about the opposition. In those situations talk to both managers at the same time and set your stall out- give what I see, no trouble in TA etc etc. In youth games I will always remind them of our responsibility under safeguarding legislation to make it a positive experience for the players.

Thanks Paul.

I think overall I did a good Job, I did have an Away parent come up to me afterwards and shake my hand saying I Refereed the game brilliantly. despite their team being hammered 12-1 in the end.

Do u think ignoring the lad with the insult reporting right?

Also still gettin to grips with the abbreviations, TA?

Thanks

Dan

One comment never listen to what people say about teams...every match is a new match and different reactions/circumstances/scores/moods etc. Develop your pre match to suit what you want to say not targeting specific teams, I have learnt with experience once they know how you referee they will adapt to your behaviours, also never ever tell the you know their history..you are pre judging them and that's very unprofessional as first time you have to sanction they will go "you have it in for us anyway".

Half time is the wrong arm killer you get used to giving one way the suddenly have to change...still do it many years on just apologise and correct yourself.

What position were you in when you gave the corner? Could you have been closer? Did you do a dynamic sprint to get close and see who touched last or were you lazy and stood 30 yards away waving an arm in a general direction?

As for the boy who yelled at you, I am a great believer in making your own decisions and not communicating with players however others favour talking to them in this case dependent on the way you want to referee you may wish to just acknowledge it and say you will listen out for anything else in future but you can't react unless you hear it. It let's the other player know you will be listening (even if you don't) and it might stop them saying anything else.

Have confidence in yourself because if you don't how will the teams/spectators!

Then at one point an away player (large lad) "shouts ref he's just called me a fat *******" i didn't acknowledge this as I didn't hear it, but was I right to?
Yes, if you didn't hear of see something there's not much you can do about it. Given the age group I might adjust my positioning to be closer to the players involved just to check that there wasn't anything going on.

Thanks Paul.

I think overall I did a good Job, I did have an Away parent come up to me afterwards and shake my hand saying I Refereed the game brilliantly. despite their team being hammered 12-1 in the end.

Do u think ignoring the lad with the insult reporting right?

Also still gettin to grips with the abbreviations, TA?

Thanks

Dan
Congratulations on the good feedback! It always seems to feel more valid coming from a team who lost as well, doesn't it?

TA I presume would be "technical area" - or as is more likely, the bit of grass next to the pitch where the manager chooses to stand!

You can't give what you don't hear, so you certainly don't have the option of pulling out a card based purely on what one player claims has been said. But I also wouldn't recommend literally ignoring the player and running away, as that may well be interpreted as you being unwilling to deal with abuse, which could lead to the player taking matters into his own hands.

I'd suggest explaining that you can't act on something you haven't heard, but reassure the player that you'll be listening out and that you'd be willing to use cards if you did hear anything like that. If it's a battle that's likely to reoccur (say a RW vs LB), consider hanging around them a little more than you normally would for the next few minutes - again, this will reassure the "victim" that you took his complaint seriously, while simultaneously making him think twice about taking retribution.

As freethinker says- unless you hear it for yourself you can only say that you will listen out for it in the future.

TA- technical area

I still get my arms mixed up. Call the colour of the shirt until you settle into which way the teams are playing: if you forget your arms then no harm done.

At corners don't be frightened by getting into the area itself, warn players about arms, holding etc then as the corner is taken start moving. Confuses them and they are less likely to try things on if you start and finish in different positions each time.

With throw ins worry about where it is going to rather than from where it's coming. I only get worked up about foul throws until people start moaning , watch a couple, give one if it's obvious, then get back to the elbows and shenanigans of the drop zone. That's where your key match incidents will be, not a foul throw!

Enjoy and smile- works for me

For the alleged verbal abuse, as others have said if you don't hear it then you can't give it.

A tactic I've employed successfully in the past is at a break in play tell the offended player that you didn't hear it, but that you'll keep an eye on it moving forwards.

I've found this also works when people are saying a CAR is being dishonest etc.

Your first two paragraphs worry me to be honest. You shouldn't be taking any notice of what the home team manager tells you, and you certainly shouldn't change how you approach the game as a result. What if the away team turn round and ask how you know about "the history", you are then off on the wrong footing before you have even started.

Hi Rusty, Tbh my comment of 'History'wasnt as bad as it sounds. I basically said I understand the history of a physical game between them both and looking forward to a fair and honest game.

I was kinda rushing this morning when wrote the message. The home manager is a friend and runs the U13s of the team i run U8s, but my own eldest plays for another under 13 team altogether so when talking to his manager, he too confirmed the kind of team they were. i used to be part of the U13 set up before my lad moved, across town to play, so I could ref the game totally unbiased.

I didn't let this change anyway I controlled the game and think the lack of any major issues was good sign of management.

I was recently "warned" pre-match by a home manager about playground threats allegedly made by some away team players regarding breaking legs etc . Local derby, most of the players from both sides go to the same school, so only natural comments may or may not have been thrown around prior to the match. As it turned out, whilst at times the game was slightly feisty with a few minor niggles which were quickly extinguished, it was generally played in a good spirit by two 2 teams wanting to play good football. Showed 1 yellow card during the game, for kicking the ball away after a free kick was given, to a home team player.

Occasionally pre-match warnings about oppostion teams might be valid, but most of the time they are just hot air and best ignored. Pre-match chat should be more or less the same for both teams. If I have witnessed certain teams or players crossing the line in the past, I might keep a closer eye on them, but try not to let it cloud my overall judgement.

Communication with players is important, but don't overdue it. I try to keep it short and to the the point, occasionally with a smile on my face, referees who give a running commentary during games can quickly become an annoyance to both the players and coaches/parents!

"Knowing your teams" is a tricky subject. I usually try and avoid finding out too much and I was actually quite surprised when I went to a promotion seminar, the guest speaker mentioned "doing your research" and everyone nodded. I've always made a concious decision that it would be fairest to turn up with an open mind. And I've always trusted my ability to react to keep a game in check if there was a grudge there already in the same way I would if a grudge developed during the match.

But the problem with this theory is that eventually, you're going to turn up to a match where you've refereed one team before and have a pre-conceived opinion about them (good or bad) and have never seen the other team at all. And by my own previous logic, surely that's potentially unfair?

I have in the past been given so called 'problem' teams or matches to officiate. I do no research. Every team gets the benefit of the doubt.
All I do is ensure I'm on my mettle, start the game with an extra tight grip and take it from there.

I appoint referees to local competitions and sometimes have to smile when I get told about a tough local derby coming up between 2 U13 teams. I send along a 16 year old in his first season who towers over the players and there's no problems. I send along an experienced level 4 who played alongside the dads of some of the players back in the day and he has them eating out of his hand. I send a highly rated level 5 unknown to both teams and he has no bother.

The secret? I promise to send someone along to watch the game from our local FA to take note of the behaviour of players and club officials. Rarely do I follow through with my promise, but it has the desired effect. And they say only managers can play mind games...

Bring em on, bigger the better, they want Mr B'stard, he's here, they want to pull my chain, he's here. They want to play a proper man game like good little boys... Game on!!!

Don't waste your time developing a pre match chat......no matter how much you think they are listening....they aren't, and will do and say exactly what they always do regardless of how eloquent and charming you might be.

Also, take anything that managers say to you about the opposition with a 5 gallon bucket of salt......

Don't waste your time developing a pre match chat......no matter how much you think they are listening....they aren't, and will do and say exactly what they always do regardless of how eloquent and charming you might be.

Also, take anything that managers say to you about the opposition with a 5 gallon bucket of salt......
For all you new referees who are developing your version of the Gettysburg address. Read this. YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME ESPECIALLY WITH JUNIOR TEAMS.

Thanks.

Referencing the Getrysburg address to the yoofs of today is a leap of faith Brian!
If its not on Twitter or Facey its way over their heads!!!..:)

Clickerty linky things are the future Brian.. Lets hope they are still around when we are sucking through straws in some care home somewhere!!!

Back