The Ref Stop

Yellow & Red Cards - Junior Grassroots Games

Ginger_Ogre

New Member
Hi All,

Been refereeing on and off for a while now. I only really ref for the junior grassroots club I am a coach at (although never my age group) as I cant commit to anything more due to said coaching. Anyways I stumbled across the forum while looking for something football related a while back. Thought I'd join up as always interested in reading how other referees act in certain situations in a bid to be as good as I can be.

As above, I only ref junior grassroots matches, usually U14s-U17s and was wondering how seriously (for want of a better word) people who referee these age groups take it in terms of application of the laws. When I say that, I don't mean the main laws, more the 'technical' laws, such as countdown for goal-kicks and throw-ins, but also in regards to yellow & red cards.

Before matches I always speak to both teams and the coaches, explain how I like to ref so they know. For example, I like to play advantage where possible so explain if a tackle comes in I will likely give it a few seconds before blowing so I don't have a load of folk appealing for stuff and going crazy if a foul not given immediately. One other thing I always mention is that I have my cards, but prefer not to use them unless absolutely needed and that I would rather 'have a word' where possible, explain the offence and why it has bee penalised and clam things down in the hope it gives the kids time to reflect and learn rather than rile them up brandishing a card in their face.

How does everyone approach it? Are you similar, or is it 'the rules are the rules' type approach?
 
The Ref Stop
A lot of people have expressed differing opinions on this many a time previously on the forum, but my opinion is: play silly games, win silly prizes. If the player is willing/able to commit a reckless challenge or serious foul play, they are able to understand the consequences that come with that. I'm not saying treat it like a premier league game, but teenagers know what they're doing...
 
Caveat--I'm in the US, not the UK.

Above 14U, I'm not at all hesitant to pull cards. They are old enough to play properly.

At 14U, I see it as a bit of a question of level. I may cut slack on somethings, but generally if a player earns a caution I'm going to give it.

At 12U and below, I almost never give a card--but then, at those levels players almost never do something to earn one.

(In AYSO in the US, if cautions are earned at 10U and below, we are asked not to show the card, but to talk to the player and the coach about the caution--including the possibility of being sent off. And with a send off at that age, we don't show the red card either. The official view is that the public nature of the cards is not age appropriate--but that does not exclude the conduct.)
 
Back
Top