A&H

WSL/WC referee fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
Recently asked at a family event how much WSL and Women's Champ Refs are paid, realised I have no idea.

AR fees were as low as £60 not long ago for the WSL according to the Mirror, wondered what there were now?

Not professionalised yet are they?

The Referee Store
Recently asked at a family event how much WSL and Women's Champ Refs are paid, realised I have no idea.

AR fees were as low as £60 not long ago for the WSL according to the Mirror, wondered what there were now?

Why is £60 low for a WSL AR ?

It's the professional and highest level of women's football and less than 50% higher than an AR would get for a county cup final
I don't understand this from your wording. In my experience, County Cup finals are unpaid and I know this topic has been discussed recently.

The question I then have is, if £60 is too low, what should it be ?

I don't understand this from your wording. In my experience, County Cup finals are unpaid and I know this topic has been discussed recently.

Never seen an unpaid county cup final in Wilts or London, so many are paid.

It's just £10 more than a middle in London Sunday league.

I don't have a set figure in my head, but a PL AR is paid £850 per game AND a base salary.

£60 is in the ballpark of what a ref gets in my local step 5/level 9 men's league. If that's still roughly what the WSL or even Women's Championship (levels 1 and 2 of women's football) pays, it seems pretty clear why it feels low.

The WSL rules and fees are fairly easy to Google.

40p per mile also for all the below.

WSL referees £248
WSL assistants and fourth officials £120

Championship referees £130
Championship assistants £85
Championship fourth officials £78
Didn’t even occur there’d be a rules and fees document like a county league would have! I was googling but mostly found old articles about PL match fees.

Thank you! I’ll actually know what to say when relatives ask now

Despite the increasing attendances this season the money in the women's game is still nowhere near that of the men's. Taking aside the big 3 who regularly play at the main stadiums, average attendances are probably similar to National League clubs. A National League referee gets £180, assistants £90 and 4th official £60 (£80 if televised), so I'd say the WSL fees are more than generous.

Despite the increasing attendances this season the money in the women's game is still nowhere near that of the men's. Taking aside the big 3 who regularly play at the main stadiums, average attendances are probably similar to National League clubs. A National League referee gets £180, assistants £90 and 4th official £60 (£80 if televised), so I'd say the WSL fees are more than generous.
I have no issue with the amounts listed, £60 for a WSL AR did feel wrong

It’s such a shame that although the WSL is the highest standard of women’s football in England, the refs are not professional. Nor are any of the Championship clubs. The women’s game is increasing in popularity- great! - but the amount of money simply is not there. Only Chelsea and Arsenal seem to have loads.

It’s such a shame that although the WSL is the highest standard of women’s football in England, the refs are not professional. Nor are any of the Championship clubs. The women’s game is increasing in popularity- great! - but the amount of money simply is not there. Only Chelsea and Arsenal seem to have loads.
I think some of the referees are professional, just not to the same level as men's. I'd imagine the FIFA referees in the WSL don't have another job. Rebecca Welch is definitely pro as she is part of Select Group 2 as well. I may be wrong though. They are part of the Women's Select Group which is what gives me the feeling they are at least semi-pro.

Last edited:
Its just pure economics, there isn't enough money in the game to pay for it. Attendances are up yes, but if you look at Arsenal who have the biggest crowds, ticket prices for top category games are between £12 and £18, you can even get an executive box with hospitality for £59 per person. A Cat A game for the men's team is minimum £80 for the worst seats, and hospitality is close to £600 per person, the two things just don't compare.

Then you have the domestic WSL TV deal which is worth £8 million per year, the equivalent Premier League deal is £1.7 billion per year.

Its just pure economics, there isn't enough money in the game to pay for it. Attendances are up yes, but if you look at Arsenal who have the biggest crowds, ticket prices for top category games are between £12 and £18, you can even get an executive box with hospitality for £59 per person. A Cat A game for the men's team is minimum £80 for the worst seats, and hospitality is close to £600 per person, the two things just don't compare.

Then you have the domestic WSL TV deal which is worth £8 million per year, the equivalent Premier League deal is £1.7 billion per year.
Completely agree. I am a very avid supporter of Chelsea women, have been following them for many years.

but popularity will not be there if tickets are the same (super expensive!) cost as the men’s games.
Families go to the WSL because it’s a fun day out to see their favourite players, and it’s a teeny fraction of the cost as it would be for the men’s teams.

This means the clubs don’t make much money, if any.
People talking about adding VAR in WSL, as is in UWCL, Womens Euro, WWC etc. but the amount it costs to operate is absurd and will not be sustainable if brought in to the WSL.

Incredibly generous.
Compared to the equivalent standard of Mens Football I would agree with you. However, in light of the far greater exposure of the top level Women's football, with many games live on TV and a significant terrestrial highlights package, I'd suggest that the fees are about right in that context

Really… I was watching on TV and 120 quid does not fit flagging Chelsea Arsenal. 4-5 hour gig. TV. Massive crowd. Some if the best players in the world.
Arsenal Women average attendance is around 35,000, most games are televised and they'll near-enough sell out the Emirates for the biggest games in the season, around 60,000. While that's not going to be the case all the way down the WSL, games exist in the WSL that are better attended that a lot of lower PL games.

And that feels like a better gauge for where fees should be than the club's ability/inability to make money from these games?

The gauge has to be financial sustainability, which means costs go up as revenues go up, with a 'fair' distribution to all participants. We all know what happens in football when that's not the case.

I love the rate at which women's football has taken off and officials' fees have risen and should continue to rise in line with that, but comparing to officials' fees in the men's PL is no more sensible than saying players should be paid the same.

I don't have the definitive data to back it up but with average attendance of about 7500, but paying more like Step 2/3 entrance fees, current levels feel about right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back