A&H

Would you play this tomorrow??

I didn't feel like I'd had a game unless I spent the next week hobbling about
I once had a bruise from my knee to my ribs after a haematoma burst in my groin. Still played the following week despite doctors's advice 🚑
Apparently our own Dr @Kes is quite good for these types of diagnosis's!!

Reactions: Kes
The Referee Store
My game is off tomorrow. I doubt snowflakes on the pitch caused it to fail a snowflake inspection; more likely the home team fancied tonight on the tap

I once reffed a lad bigger than this playing as a striker.... This is what they get up to before we get the pleasure on a Sunday morning!!!

In the nicest way possible, it’s probably in the best interest of the players that you aren’t refereeing anymore. Player safety goes completely out of the window as you seem to be stuck in the 80’s

In the nicest way possible, it’s probably in the best interest of the players that you aren’t refereeing anymore. Player safety goes completely out of the window as you seem to be stuck in the 80’s
Better qualified refs than you and I played in these types games for years and will continue to do so.....I'd say your last statement is totally insulting to millions of colleagues all over the world that don't buy into this H&S garbage... You'll be telling me next that man created global warming!!!

Better qualified refs than you and I played in these types games for years and will continue to do so.....I'd say your last statement is totally insulting to millions of colleagues all over the world that don't buy into this H&S garbage... You'll be telling me next that man created global warming!!!

True story and I have the newspaper article somewhere. I turned up for a low league game, park was a near bog, sticky, and surface water everywhere.
So, got a ball, and kicked it around a bit, it rolled, it bounced, I ran around a bit and granted it was heavy but, dangerous?
Back to dressing rooms, told teams, yes, do it, but as ever if I feel things change I will reserve the right to change my mind too
I carefully watched the teams warm up, and gks warmed up away from the goal mouths..
Long story short, game went on, 1-1, no physio was ever on the pitch, one yellow card and game forgotten
Until next weeks paper when I was slammed for destroying the home teams park and they never played another home game for 5 weeks..
Did I get lucky? No. Injuries and accidents happen on bowling green pitches just the same.

That’s my point, you’re stuck in the past. And if you/they consider that insulting, I’m really not arsed. It was acceptable then, it isn’t now.

It isn’t safe to play in icy conditions, you might as well be playing in the car park outside. We also have a responsibility to the fans, icy conditions driving in, the stairs at the grounds and the surrounding areas.

That’s my point, you’re stuck in the past. And if you/they consider that insulting, I’m really not arsed. It was acceptable then, it isn’t now.

It isn’t safe to play in icy conditions, you might as well be playing in the car park outside. We also have a responsibility to the fans, icy conditions driving in, the stairs at the grounds and the surrounding areas.
You couldn't insult me if you tried.... its about time people looked after their own responsibilities and stopped looking for someone to blame if nature beats them!!!

Riddle me this? Say 6 year ago, Glasgow was Artic blasted. Celtic had a home game. The park was perfect. But, due to the surrounding areas and so on, police said no game. Fine.
However, on the same road as Parkhead, is the Parkhead Forge Shopping centre, avec Asda, Greggs, Poundland,Cinema, Buffet King, all the usuals....
Why was it not ordered to close??
It gave me the mental image of working man in his company car being deemed unsafe yet Granny in her Motability adapted Citreon Relay was perfectly fine to travel on the same road and walk the same streets!

Riddle me this? Say 6 year ago, Glasgow was Artic blasted. Celtic had a home game. The park was perfect. But, due to the surrounding areas and so on, police said no game. Fine.
However, on the same road as Parkhead, is the Parkhead Forge Shopping centre, avec Asda, Greggs, Poundland,Cinema, Buffet King, all the usuals....
Why was it not ordered to close??
It gave me the mental image of working man in his company car being deemed unsafe yet Granny in her Motability adapted Citreon Relay was perfectly fine to travel on the same road and walk the same streets!
It’s the responsibility of the referee and the club to look out for the fans as well as the players. If a fan slips over walking to their seat and snaps their leg, nature won’t be the one with an insurance claim on their hands

It’s the responsibility of the referee and the club to look out for the fans as well as the players. If a fan slips over walking to their seat and snaps their leg, nature won’t be the one with an insurance claim on their hands
No, he'd be a clumsy XXXX :cool: There is zero liability......

My point being, its the same rules for the shopping centre. Yet it was open
Referee is not responsible for fan safety, thats a club chore. The match delegate and league may decide to postpone due to the conditions in the stadium but its not a decision for the referee.

My other point was police said no to folk going to Parkhead to watch football but it was ok for folk to go to Parkhead Asda or Parkhead Cinema 800 yards along the same road.

9305092-6660325-The_brave_women_ditched_their_winter_coats_and_woolly_jumpers_fo-a-68_15491043...jpg
It was -1 in Newcastle last night, the health and safety department were safely tucked up in bed with a big blanket, a mug of Horlicks and were certainly wearing a furrowed brow! 'I can't see a game being on today they said'!!! Meanwhile the girls just got on with it in their high heels and protective underwear hopefully!! :cool:

Last time I looked you could fall on a wet or muddy pitch too... when will this be stopped!!

Last time I looked you could fall on a wet or muddy pitch too... when will this be stopped!!
You do realise what studs are for?

My point surrounding this is basing your checks, assessments on tackling etc on something 40 years ago is ludicrous. It’s like blaming the ball for a goalkeeping mistake because it moves more in the wind than it did in the 80’s. It’s absoloutely irrelevant on a refereeing forum as we keep in line with the current LOTG, not one being dusted off from the attic

You do realise what studs are for?

My point surrounding this is basing your checks, assessments on tackling etc on something 40 years ago is ludicrous. It’s like blaming the ball for a goalkeeping mistake because it moves more in the wind than it did in the 80’s. It’s absoloutely irrelevant on a refereeing forum as we keep in line with the current LOTG, not one being dusted off from the attic

Some idiot VAR gave a penalty in another thread from a LOTG they we all are not privy to, so what's your selective point??
Weather hasn't changed, if anything, its slightly better, pitches are better, boot technology is better, why the rush to get your feet up bleating health and safety!!! Who died, nobody, total over reaction....

Every year. 160,000 people die from heart and circulatory disease. 73,000 people die from coronary heart disease (CHD). 42,000 people died prematurely from cardiovascular disease (CVD), shall we ban McDonalds??

The notion that player safety wasn't a concern back in the day is nonsense. Decisions on the playability of the local park on days like today are the same now as they were back in the early 90s when I started playing. At the local level, nothing has changed. Its either frozen/waterlogged or it isn't. The idea that things are different now at a local level regarding health and safety is rubbish imo, and I've been involved I football every weekend of the season for the last 25 years and we'll over 1000 games at a guess so I think there's decent sample size.

Things change quickly at the pro level. Locally they don't. 25 years ago the referees would line you up to check your studs weren't sharp! H&S gone mad even back then.

The notion that player safety wasn't a concern back in the day is nonsense. Decisions on the playability of the local park on days like today are the same now as they were back in the early 90s when I started playing. At the local level, nothing has changed. Its either frozen/waterlogged or it isn't. The idea that things are different now at a local level regarding health and safety is rubbish imo, and I've been involved I football every weekend of the season for the last 25 years and we'll over 1000 games at a guess so I think there's decent sample size.

Things change quickly at the pro level. Locally they don't. 25 years ago the referees would line you up to check your studs weren't sharp! H&S gone mad even back then.
🤛great post brother Ben 😻

Back