A&H

Would you play this tomorrow??

The Referee Store
View attachment 3003
Football, before the pussies took over!!!

Jan Molby bigger than the two players in front of him combined? Is it Paul Walsh and Ricky Hill? without digging out Panini 83

No chance, thats Lutons concrete attempt at astro?
No way, far too slippy. That pitch was simply green concrete and the players have mouldies on!
No no no, Am not running about on that, far less a player

Expecting all non top flight games here, even those on 3/4g to be off tmrw....

Last edited:
If the lines had been cleared, there was no further snow scheduled, and I could be sure that no area of the pitch covered by snow wasn't frozen I might play it. It's clearly still snowing, and there's no real way of inspecting a snow covered pitch, so I'd be having a look and going home.

Yes - Ricky Hill behind Paul Walsh. I think it's probably the FA Cup replay that Kenny Dalglish is still complaining about. (I was there!!)If I remember correctly lines were cleared before the game and there was only a slight fall of snow during the game.

Can I state am not fussed at all by the snow? Am concerned about the ice, which of course we cant see
If its simply snow, then, game on (providing lines are clear)

That said, council facilities here put the game off for snow, health and safety and all that, so, ref sometimes does not get a chance, and, going to higher levels, health and safety again, the pitch might be ok but police say no, as risk to public in the surrounding areas....

Scottish Cup tie on tv few years back, ref tried to keep playing, had a pen kick shout late on, gave free kick, there was next to no line to see but it was obv from advert boards (knowing where line was meant to be ) and so on that it was 2 yards inside box.

Yes - Ricky Hill behind Paul Walsh. I think it's probably the FA Cup replay that Kenny Dalglish is still complaining about. (I was there!!)If I remember correctly lines were cleared before the game and there was only a slight fall of snow during the game.

Nope it was the season before... no go for me..first 5 mins of the highlights, for example, stop the clip on 3 min 42 secs....farce. no lines, waste of time, too slippy also

I was just typing that ! Neither can see the lines and both are gliding around like Bambi on Ice

Falkirk legend Alan Irvine on bench for Liverpool !!

Having looked at the vid, it was obviously thawing........play on!

Actually, I don't mean that, whilst it may have been acceptable back in the day, I'd want to be able to see every line as a minimum......

Bad angle on the picture but the video clearly you can see the lines....Play on.... :angel: They've come to see the players perform not you!!! :redcard:

Grass or Astro turf?

Both my games at the weekend still on!

Sat - astro - pitch cleared today, we're told
Sun - grass - goalmouths covered - I'm told

At least my next game Weds evening is predicted to be played in a balmy 8c!

The original game at Luton was the snow game. Luton won the second replay on a much greener piece of plastic.
I doubt there was much difference in the conditions on that pitch.

Imagine being 20 and budding world class star. You're about to sign your first 100k per week contract and then you tear your acl on an icy pitch and your career comes to a grinding end.

Imagine being 20 and budding world class star. You're about to sign your first 100k per week contract and then you tear your acl on an icy pitch and your career comes to a grinding end.
Players didn't get £100K/week in that era
Nowt wrong with the weather, but Lord knows how those old 'astro-turf' pitches ever made it into the professional game

I'd say there are more injuries today than there ever was back in the day, the players are Molly coddled now and are more athletic and probably faster. Pitches are much better these days and look as good as new even through the winter months. Weaker lilly livered players and referees by the sounds of it!! Spoiled the game, its a challenge, different conditions and surfaces, swings and roundabouts!!

Jan Molby wasn't built for speed, I think he played a few years too long as you can see from the pic!!

I'd say there are more injuries today than there ever was back in the day, the players are Molly coddled now and are more athletic and probably faster. Pitches are much better these days and look as good as new even through the winter months. Weaker lilly livered players and referees by the sounds of it!! Spoiled the game, its a challenge, different conditions and surfaces, swings and roundabouts!!

Jan Molby wasn't built for speed, I think he played a few years too long as you can see from the pic!!
I didn't feel like I'd had a game unless I spent the next week hobbling about
I once had a bruise from my knee to my ribs after a haematoma burst in my groin. Still played the following week despite doctors's advice 🚑

Back