A&H

Open Age Would you have done the same?

HarryD

Hi all,

First game back after summer which resulted in a shock victory in the leagues equivalent of the fa cup.
Quick question here:
A player takes exception to a 'challenge' made (no problems with the challenge - just where they ran into each other) which resulted in a goal for the opposition. Said player begins to have a discussion with me regarding the incident. During which he called me an idiot which led to a straight red. Bit harsh or fair enough?

The Referee Store
Hi all,

First game back after summer which resulted in a shock victory in the leagues equivalent of the fa cup.
Quick question here:
A player takes exception to a 'challenge' made (no problems with the challenge - just where they ran into each other) which resulted in a goal for the opposition. Said player begins to have a discussion with me regarding the incident. During which he called me an idiot which led to a straight red. Bit harsh or fair enough?
Without an f'ing or something before it it's yellow for me but we all have our own tolerance levels. It can be argued to be offensive and abusive I suppose.

You are the ref, it's your level of tolerance.

I spent 10 years in the Army - and can take a lot of flack, if I so chose to do so, and it takes a lot for something I haven't heard.

BUT, there is a code for an offence of OFFINABUS - anything that, in the opinion of the referee is offensive, insuting or abusive. it does not have to be directed at the ref, or even be about the ref, but if it is heard, and refs opinion is that it is of the above, you have a right to santion respectively.

Now, I say that but there is also situation and context.

If i;ve pulled someone to the side for a quiet word, over a nothing challenge, and in a clam normal tone normal volume voice he wants to call me an idiot, and no=one else is about to hear it, I'd possibly add a bit of threatening behavour to the phrase, or it might be meant with a bit of intimidation.

and if others are around to hear it, well that's his stupidit for sying it within earshot of others.

So what you going to do when he actually DOES commit a foul tackle - he's already intimidated you once ......

From what is written above, you could sell it either way. I do no know your tolerence levels, or where your line is drawn butif he stepped over it, i wouldn't expect anything less.

Today I have a foul, stupid coming together, blew up pointed and got the hands thrust up and down, head back, eyes shut and a scream of "fuk's sake ref, for what?" shouting like that at me 3 yards away - yellow was up before he opened his eyes again.

aterwards he asked if I thought it was a bit hars "it;s not as if i called you a wan%er or anything was it?"

"not really - cos if you had called me a waker, i woud have found that offensive and you;d have been off.Did aynone else turn and shout at me for any other decision, inc the dnied penalty claims? No. Any you know why....

"cos you'd already given me a yellow. yeah yeah point taken ref. Thanks anyway, good game, see you in the bar........" shake of hands and walked off

If a player feels the need to call you an idiot while having a civilised conversation with you , I would binning him every time .

Offinabus is subjective so whatever you sent him off for, you're right every time and the FA will always go along with that. (until you get higher up when it goes to deaf ears required)

Not something I would've done personally, "idiot" would have to be accompanied by some sort of swearing or threatening behaviour for me to send the player off.

Every ref has a different tolerance though, and as always, difficult to judge without being there.

I suspect you think your decision was on the harsh side @HarryD from what you have posted.

Given your time again, what would you do? Handle it the same, or differently?

Id do the same again every single time but I must have fallen foul for the 'player reactions' problem!! :p

I told him that both of them ran into each other, would have been highly unfair to give a foul either way - his frustrations presumably led from the fact that a goal was scored 10 seconds later.

I told him that both of them ran into each other, would have been highly unfair to give a foul either way - his frustrations presumably led from the fact that a goal was scored 10 seconds later.

Fair enough. I've never heard the words highly unfair on a football pitch near me said by anyone. :p

What was the reaction when you asked for his name and informed him that you were sending him off?

I respect your tolerance level. I had an assistant recently who was called a similar word which was more slang by a player who he was moving back a yard to take a throw in. He told me he wanted him cautioned. I called over the player with the captain, and told the player to apologise to my assistant.

Okay the words 'highly unfair' weren't used :p Id consider the reaction reasonably similar to Chelsea to get Ibrahimovic sent off in the champions league last season, explained my decision and told them to go away. After that they claimed I 'lost match control' but that's just another way of saying they lost their cool!! :p

Okay the words 'highly unfair' weren't used :p Id consider the reaction reasonably similar to Chelsea to get Ibrahimovic sent off in the champions league last season, explained my decision and told them to go away. After that they claimed I 'lost match control' but that's just another way of saying they lost their cool!! :p
What made you think it was them who lost their cool and not you that lost control?

I was keeping up with play, on top of everything and communicating with the players. I reckon the whole thing of losing match control is thrown about way too easily nowadays as an excuse from clubs for a couple of decisions not going their way. Fair enough if its both teams then that's losing match control but if its one then theres obviously going to be a few doubts over the validity of the comments.

I was keeping up with play, on top of everything and communicating with the players. I reckon the whole thing of losing match control is thrown about way too easily nowadays as an excuse from clubs for a couple of decisions not going their way. Fair enough if its both teams then that's losing match control but if its one then theres obviously going to be a few doubts over the validity of the comments.

I think you probably hung around after the goal was scored and invited the dissent? If there has been a challenge they thinks a foul then a goal is scored from that move. Get yourself into the opposite half of the pitch, if they come at you easy caution sold to everyone. Hang around in their half and your inviting them with a big welcome saying give me your dissent.

I don't think sending a player off for calling you an idiot would help your match control.

It will let the players know where you stand with dissent, but it will also get you a reputation imo. This player won't be playing for 3 weekends for something pretty minor. When he talks to other clubs when he goes to watch his team play, other teams will say: "Why haven't you got a kit on? Injured?" - "No got suspended for 3 games" - "Oh really, must of been bad what did you do?" - "Called a ref an idiot" - "Oh Really? Which ref?"....

I respect your tolerance level. I had an assistant recently who was called a similar word which was more slang by a player who he was moving back a yard to take a throw in. He told me he wanted him cautioned. I called over the player with the captain, and told the player to apologise to my assistant.

Jacko you do realise the talk will be about you in the referees room after this? ;)

Back