A&H

Worst games...

From one female to another (I’m based in North Riding- so not far away) don’t be disheartened. Easier said than done but the advice you have been given is excellent. Honestly I’ve developed my game a lot from listening to the advice from members on here. I always find experience and listening to those with experience is fantastic in situations like this. We all have games which are frustrating, annoying and/or down right enraging. As cliche as it is, take it down as a learning curve. Just remember those coaches/parents/kids are attacking the uniform not you. Trust in yourself that you made the correct decision, not everyone else. Heck even have a bit of arrogance about it i.e I’m right and everyone else is wrong. It’ll make you enjoy it more.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
From one female to another (I’m based in North Riding too- so not far away) don’t be disheartened. Easier said than done but the advice you have been given is excellent. Honestly I’ve developed my game a lot from listening to the advice from members on here. I always find experience and listening to those with experience is fantastic in situations like this. We all have games which are frustrating, annoying and/or down right enraging. As cliche as it is, take it down as a learning curve. Just remember those coaches/parents/kids are attacking the uniform not you. Trust in yourself that you made the correct decision, not everyone. Heck even have a bit of arrogance about it i.e I’m right and everyone else is wrong. It’ll make you enjoy it more.
Well said Olivia, you couldn’t have said it better!

From one female to another (I’m based in North Riding- so not far away) don’t be disheartened. Easier said than done but the advice you have been given is excellent. Honestly I’ve developed my game a lot from listening to the advice from members on here. I always find experience and listening to those with experience is fantastic in situations like this. We all have games which are frustrating, annoying and/or down right enraging. As cliche as it is, take it down as a learning curve. Just remember those coaches/parents/kids are attacking the uniform not you. Trust in yourself that you made the correct decision, not everyone else. Heck even have a bit of arrogance about it i.e I’m right and everyone else is wrong. It’ll make you enjoy it more.
Great advice

To be fair, that actually makes sense, they’ve just taken back to billy basics and laid out of the decision points.

I imagine if you took DOGSO and write down everything you need to consider it would look fairly similar
Great advice

And supports a great club as well! Took great pride wearing my Boro jacket around town Saturday evening as a Boro fan living in Bristol!

There is enough good advice posted already, mainly, speak to an actual person that you know and can trust

can I pick up on something else which was already posted, for my knowledge more than anything, U11 is 7 a side here with no offside? Is it different in England?

There is enough good advice posted already, mainly, speak to an actual person that you know and can trust

can I pick up on something else which was already posted, for my knowledge more than anything, U11 is 7 a side here with no offside? Is it different in England?
Yes, there is a mix of 11v11 and 9v9. Never done 9v9 so not sure about offside.

Ah ok, here its U11 is 7s and girls u13 is 7s too.
I know the referee is new and not having a dig at her or anyone officiating that level but, really, struggling to call offside when the players can barely kick the balll 20 yards???? Not in any way saying the abuse is right, no no no, and, (ok am slightly more experienced), I would have been going red card without even batting an eyelid, I dont care what age/level/ability am officiating, am not out there to take rubbish off anyone !!

I enjoy the younger games, as it offers a chance to interact/educate while I ref. When I coached, I often saw newer referees that were nearly silent on the field - and the kids often had no idea what the referees were calling or why - even on simple things like throw-ins.

Now that I referee (and I'm a new ref too) - I'm pretty vocal when refereeing - calling "Blue ball" when raising my arm to indicate possession helps them understand what's going on. Saying "hands down #7", when you let a little contact go will probably help when you whistle #7 for a foul the next time they do the same thing. I'm often saying "play, play" when two players come together, as they both might think they were fouled, or that they fouled the other player.

When play is stopped for injury, I may ask the kids if they know what the restart is - many don't - so you can explain the dropped ball restart to them. This has the advantage of making you more human too - not merely as Olivia says - just a uniform.

You're definitely going to have players/coaches/parents unhappy with your calls - and know that some of it may be downright manipulative - trying to get you to change calls, or give calls in their favor later. I'm vocal with this too - I'll call "no, no - blue ball - off red's leg" if a red player picked up a ball to throw it in.

One other item - in both cases you said things started well. You might be finding that by letting marginal fouls go early that you're signaling for the kids to continue to push the envelope to see where your limit is at. Making some early calls on marginal fouls will nip that in the bud, and set the tone for the rest of the game. It's a lot easier to stop the marginal fouls early than it is to try and rein the kids in later in the match when it's a bit more tense.

By the way - you're ahead of most of your peers, as coming to forums, etc. to get input/support means you care a great deal about your performance on the pitch - well done!

Back