A&H

Worst game to date

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
Probably the worst experience to date when it comes to referee. I did a team tonight which could only be described as a pack of animals. There was no technique to keep them quiet. The game ended with 4 bookings, 2 reds and a misconduct to that one side. All bookings were dissent, one red for DOGSO and the other INOFFABUS (I’m a f’ing Dhead). Not only that but after sending said player off, he smacked my notepad out of my hand as I was writing his name in it. He then proceeded to call me a dhead again and walk off. Several self proclaimed neutral spectators told me I had a great game after and to keep my head up and in my mind, I’m happy with how it went as this team would have done this to whoever showed up tonight. To rub salt in the wounds, there was very much a feeling of being alone after the game where you’re waking off to their bench calling you a cheat, a C**t, Dhead (again) and any other word they can think of. Unfortunately with the game under lights and the dugout set back, I couldn’t make out who they were and I wasn’t willing to approach them again.

Anyway, rant over! I go again on Saturday!

The Referee Store
Chin up @QuaverRef every ref has one of those once a few years. You feel happy with your performance and that is very important.

Just out of interest, why one misconduct? There should be two reports. One for knocking the notepad out of your hand and the other for name calling at the end of the game. The second , at the very least, should result in a team fine and possibly point deduction or even standing the team down for their next game.

Once you've done 1 / 2 of these types of games you're experienced in some of the crap that idiots can get up to. These weren't every week for me but I was the ref that the ref sec would send if he feared a tasty one of their was some history. It's certainly not you, they do it with all refs, and all opponents. Use your tools at hand and let County FA justice prevail... and don't blame yourself....your experienced now if and when it happens again...

Refereeing can be a lonely place, but as you have said, if your safe in the knowledge you have carried out your duties to the best of your ability and its that one time a season then, you can rest assured it is not you, its them, and incidents like this make you stronger, as unsavoury as they may be.

picturing the incident from the post though, is it possible you where/or allowed him/ to be too close to you, maybe something to think of going forward, (disclaimer before folk prescribe me the lethal injection, I am in no way attributing blame to ref here), merely suggesting something constructive which may prevent this from happening in the future. As much as I don't take a name full stop but 100% get the procedure for doing so, I would like to think I would not be close enough to a wound up player for this to happen

have faith you did your usual performance, take heart from the neutrals and never let a random muppet or entire Sesame Street put you off.

Chin up @QuaverRef

Just out of interest, why one misconduct? There should be two reports. One for knocking the notepad out of your hand and the other for name calling at the end of the game. The second , at the very least, should result in a team fine and possibly point deduction or even standing the team down for their next game.

Hadn’t realised that, it should have been yes. The FA have already contacted me this morning to correct this as well. They’ve also told me that the player will be immediately be removed from all football. It’s the first time I’ve had a situation like this and it’s good to see the FA back up a referee so quickly after a game, less than 12 hours after it finished.

Was it Open Age?

It was, yes

It was, yes

Just curious.

Sounds like you handled it well. At least you're not beating yourself up about it. Nowt you can do when faced with a bunch of thugs. What do you think sparked it off? Or was it just a consistent flow of gobby player syndrome? :cool:

Just on the back of @Kes 's post, I often ask if there's anything you would have done differently in hindsight? Answers help keep the rest of us sharp

In matches like this, the stepped approach goes out the window.
Cautions for EVERYTHING.
If the players don't get it by the 10th caution (I've done it!!) you were never going to win anyway and you've made sure they'll be getting a bill that might make them think twice next week.
It sounds like you should have issued More than 4 cautions tbh.
Also sounds like you were f**ked no. Matter what you did. Sometimes the players are just in the mood to act like t**ts and all you can do is keep going with the cards. Howard Webb -World Cup final

Yip, a talking to can be misunderstood but nobody who plays the game can misunderstand a yellow card so if thats not clear enough for them, thats their short comings, not yours.

Just on the back of @Kes 's post, I often ask if there's anything you would have done differently in hindsight? Answers help keep the rest of us sharp
Agreed. And yes, the escalation point was the initial red for DOGSO. After 20 minutes, striker was played in one on one, took on the keeper in his area who subsequently rugby tackled him so he was red carded. The arguments started because of the lack of knowledge of the DOGSO rule, meaning the players believed it was a yellow as it was in the box. One player didn’t like the answer, called me an f’ing dhead’, red card and the notepad moment. After the penalty was taken, there was the odd grumble from the players so I took the captain to one side, explained the decision again to him 1 to 1 and asked him to keep his players calm. If I’m honest, I’m not sure what I could have done differently in this scenario, so I’m open to suggestions

Agreed. And yes, the escalation point was the initial red for DOGSO. After 20 minutes, striker was played in one on one, took on the keeper in his area who subsequently rugby tackled him so he was red carded. The arguments started because of the lack of knowledge of the DOGSO rule, meaning the players believed it was a yellow as it was in the box. One player didn’t like the answer, called me an f’ing dhead’, red card and the notepad moment. After the penalty was taken, there was the odd grumble from the players so I took the captain to one side, explained the decision again to him 1 to 1 and asked him to keep his players calm. If I’m honest, I’m not sure what I could have done differently in this scenario, so I’m open to suggestions

Could you have avoided too much explination at the time and simply said, talk you through it later guys?
I get wanting to put across the reasons for the red but at that moment in time you could tell them the sky was blue and someone wont be having it

I.e. "guys I know your not happy about it but am going red, happy to talk you through it later, please just accept it and lets not make things worse than they are"

Last edited:
Agreed. And yes, the escalation point was the initial red for DOGSO. After 20 minutes, striker was played in one on one, took on the keeper in his area who subsequently rugby tackled him so he was red carded.

You say rugby tackle so I assume there was no attempt to play the ball?

If there was an attempt to play the ball should it be a yellow instead? Just trying to think how I would deal with a similar situation and I'd be more likely to go yellow, unless there was no attempt to play the ball. I could be misinterpreting the law though.

Was it a Pickford assault on Rondon moment, except that you did what Lee Mason couldn't (not bitter btw as we won 3- 2 😀)

If there was an attempt to play the ball should it be a yellow instead? Just trying to think how I would deal with a similar situation and I'd be more likely to go yellow, unless there was no attempt to play the ball. I could be misinterpreting the law though.

I posted on another thread yesterday, Harrogate v Salford, saying that too many referees are using the revised dogso law as an excuse not to red card players, and thus make life easier for themselves...

Rugby tackle, red. Can only be red. No matter what picture rugby tackle conjours up in your head, it simply cant be a legitimate chalenge for the ball.
Its impossible in football for such a challenge, ball or no ball, to be legal.

Could you have avoided too much explination at the time and simply said, talk you through it later guys?
I get wanting to put across the reasons for the red but at that moment in time you could tell them the sky was blue and someone wont be having it

I.e. "guys I know your not happy about it but am going red, happy to talk you through it later, please just accept it and lets not make things worse than they are"
Personally think this is an explanation.
If you can educate one person you have it right e.g captain then this should aid control.
Think Michael Oliver FA Cup. Quick explanation. It's dealt with. Yes it was the other way, but the principle is the same.
Yes don't get involved in a debate, explain it once then move on. But with a subtlety in law th at you know there is a great deal of misconception on I think we owe it to the game to educate

Yeah, 100% red. And the description of a rugby tackle is not an exaggeration. The ball had gone, the striker had an empty net to tap into, the goalkeeper wrapped his arms around the players waist and dragged him down.

Yeah, 100% red. And the description of a rugby tackle is not an exaggeration. The ball had gone, the striker had an empty net to tap into, the goalkeeper wrapped his arms around the players waist and dragged him down.
Were you on your own, or did you have NARs?

Back