A&H

World Cup VAR

I get carried away incase u hadn’t noticed lol, all I’ll say is I’m very interested to know the cut off where VAR is no longer an option after a close offside call with no flag.

Having thought about it it’s not gonna happen that often anyway but I’d just be interested to know if & when it does happen a goal being scored after a tight offside call how far can we go back for VAR.

The Referee Store
Its not an easy one to answer. There is no set time or number of passes. My understanding is that offside has to be within the same attacking movement of play that produces the goal for VAR to intervene. So offside player receives the ball and two or three passes later a goal is scored then it will be disallowed. But if the ball is passed backed and played around by midfiled with defenders well organised to defended it and a goal is scored in the next attacking play, then the goal is allowed.

Which is where I struggle with it tbh, basicly the attacking team get to retain possession fairly quickly again & score even so there last attack could well of been offside.

Basically there won’t be offside flags on tight calls anymore it’ll be like 5 a side just play on & we’ll see if you can score then if it’s quick enough we’ll go VAR if not goal stands & off we go, just seems a bit odd to me.

I’d love to get the view from premier league linesman that have worked all there adult life to get where they are & do a bloody fine job I might add.

That's not quite right. If done correctly, offside flag is only 'delayed'. And the ones that are delayed are only the ones where its a tight call AND there is an imminent goal scoring opportunity.

If a goal is coming from the next attacking play then the previous phase offside that was missed is just like any other offence that was missed. Say a throw in was given to the wrong side and they retain possession and score a minute later with the ball going back an forth a few times. The goal will not be disallowed by going that far back.

That's not quite right. If done correctly, offside flag is only 'delayed'. And the ones that are delayed are only the ones where its a tight call AND there is an imminent goal scoring opportunity.

If a goal is coming from the next attacking play then the previous phase offside that was missed is just like any other offence that was missed. Say a throw in was given to the wrong side and they retain possession and score a minute later with the ball going back an forth a few times. The goal will not be disallowed by going that far back.

From reading what Colina said he clearly states don’t get confused if you think a Lino has missed an offside in a tight situation he has been advised to keep his flag down & let VAR decide if it’s a goal or not.

You & others are confusing me (not difficult) with this whole delay the flag statement.

Either Lino’s have been told categorically to keep there flags down in tight offside situations or not.

From reading what Colina said he clearly states don’t get confused if you think a Lino has missed an offside in a tight situation he has been advised to keep his flag down & let VAR decide if it’s a goal or not.

You & others are confusing me (not difficult) with this whole delay the flag statement.

Either Lino’s have been told categorically to keep there flags down in tight offside situations or not.
I think we have been through the Collina statement discution in the previous pages (or was it another thread?). Not sure if you have read them. No point goin back to it.

I think we have been through the Collina statement discution in the previous pages (or was it another thread?). Not sure if you have read them. No point goin back to it.

Fair enough I got the vibe that people weren’t really taking it seriously or didn’t think he explained it properly, even yourself you have stated delayed flag when Colina clearly stated no flag.

Anyway we’ll soon find out not long to go now.

What a shock. MiB takes a quote from Collina and blows it out of proportion.

Its a game changer for me as well. Knowing you can't correct an incorrectly raised flag (As I've been saying for months) is bound to affect your thinking as an AR - the safe option is to not raise the flag, knowing it can be corrected. Its not a huge leap to the referees thinking the same, a missed foul can be corrected, an incorrectly awarded one can't.

Also, I thought VAR was only supposed to be used for penalties and goals and the play 'leading up to' those.

How can you judge if an offside is going to lead to a goal/pen?

Example - Its a 'tight' offside, AR doesn't flag as instructed. Corner results, that's cleared for another corner, maybe the next one is half cleared and there's a free kick that attacking side score from. Meanwhile the 'tight' offside WAS offside - are we bringing the play back after say 5 mins have gone?

I'm with MIB, it can only be a farce and already the scope of VAR has been increased.

Finally with the ARs not flagging so much, it can surely only lead to more 'wait and see' stoppages after goals - changing the game for the worse as we know it in my view.

The art & pinnacle of being a Lino is to get the big calls right & to have that responsibility take that away from a Lino & what do they have.

Ball in & out generally a ref can call, most obvious offsides a ref can call, a tight game changing offside is what only a Lino can call, talk about belittle & undermine them.

As long as they all tuck their shirts in they can do whatever they like! The VAR will overrule either way so does it really matter what the Lino does any more? You may as well post Minty and I there on our dentist chairs on the edge of the box for what use they’ll be!

Last edited:
Going forward this is a very expensive system to implement and maintain 24/7 around the world at this standard, I suppose it’s a good gig for any recently retired referee who want to continue to milk the FA and PL cash cow!

Going forward this is a very expensive system to implement and maintain 24/7 around the world at this standard, I suppose it’s a good gig for any recently retired referee who want to continue to milk the FA and PL cash cow!

Don't forget, although FA and FL (For their 'League Cup' games at PL grounds) ARE using it, the PL are not..........yet!

The real problem IMHO with Collina's comment is that it teaches the rest of the football world to play to the flag, not the whistle.
"if the assistant referee raises the flag then everything is finished"....

Nooooo....

Bonus: The total cynic in me (just look at the numbers of officials charged since the tournament was awarded to Russia, and Russia's recent sporting history) says that this delay in making decisions on the field gives any country (with the world's most advanced cyber arsenal in the world) an opportunity to game the technology.

When the White House Press Secretary says something during a press conference it doesn't make it binding policy of the US Government.

When the FIFA Referee Committee Chairman says something during a press conference it doesn't trump the Laws of the Game or existing FIFA/IFAB protocol.

This will be my final post on the subject of what Collina said. If you honestly believe that ARs will deliberately miss five to ten offside decisions a match and that is what FIFA has instructed them to do then I will never be able to convince you otherwise. It's like arguing with a moon landing hoax person.

We will know the truth in about a week when offside is called pretty much like it's always been called except for a few circumstances when the AR delayed the flag during a goal scoring opportunity.

If the assistant delays flag due to a goal scoring opportunity and a shot comes in, goalkeeper saves it and goes for a corner, will the flag go up or not?

What's the maximum delay between an offside offence and the flag going up?

Back