A&H

World cup final

And as I said, technically you can't do that. If there's any discussion, you're obliged to just drop it and get on with the match.
I had this a couple of times this week in very difficult games - and I did not manage the drop balls.

I think it comes down to respect. If we manage the drop ball we are encouraging players to abdicate their responsibility for being respectful.
The whole thing about kicking the ball back to the other team is one of the highlights of any game when it comes to demonstrating respect. It is the one time fans, players, coaches and the officials applaud together.

If we command that, there is no longer any gesture of respect.
And, if a player or team decides not to be respectful that is on them - and it is part of our duty to give them the opportunity to show respect.

The Referee Store
I'm inferring that it was very difficult to pick up a yellow and i'm stating that the referees declined every opportunity to dismiss the superstars. This consistency was clearly mandatef, which obviously benefited the Sponsors (and likely FIFA officials on the take). The officials probably despised their instructions
I think you are taking a massive leap there. I think the ref press confs hinted that they moved the goalposts for all yellows for the tournament. It makes sense that they would try something like that. I don't think we have to have the tin foil hats on about that... Spain vs Russia on the other hand... ;)

I'm inferring that it was very difficult to pick up a yellow and i'm stating that the referees declined every opportunity to dismiss the superstars. This consistency was clearly mandated, which obviously benefited the Sponsors (and likely FIFA officials on the take). The match officials probably despised their instructions
I would add to this, a positively biased identification of penalty awards to reduce the number of low scoring games

I had this a couple of times this week in very difficult games - and I did not manage the drop balls.

I think it comes down to respect. If we manage the drop ball we are encouraging players to abdicate their responsibility for being respectful.
The whole thing about kicking the ball back to the other team is one of the highlights of any game when it comes to demonstrating respect. It is the one time fans, players, coaches and the officials applaud together.

If we command that, there is no longer any gesture of respect.
And, if a player or team decides not to be respectful that is on them - and it is part of our duty to give them the opportunity to show respect.
Not that much of a leap. Would you tolerate Ronaldo spitting feathers in your face? A sudden shift towards giving penalties for anything to prevent low scoring games. Subjecting the referees to humility matters not. As for Infantino and Putin embracing like old friends... there's plenty to remind us of what really drives the game

I saw that as well. Looked like chest and possibly foot nearer to goal than 2LD.

It's tough to tell at first glance, but he was onside. The red arrow points to the left foot of the defender behind Pogba. You can see Pogba's legs in blue socks/yellow boots between the legs of the defender in front of him.

nQpdJa8.jpg

It's tough to tell at first glance, but he was onside. The red arrow points to the left foot of the defender behind Pogba. You can see Pogba's legs in blue socks/yellow boots between the legs of the defender in front of him.

nQpdJa8.jpg
47A3A425-C5A8-4EAE-81BC-EB93872B2746.jpeg

nQpdJa8.jpg
Good spot. Couldn't see that on my replay. Looked like possibly Pogba's foot in real time which would've put his head and chest in OP. Angle is off by 10 yards but seeing that foot now, he is on. VAR wouldve been all over this.

well you got that ok never a penalty

God works in mysterious ways..

It was bound to happen in the final & yet Fifa will say handball correct decision VAR did it’s job..

Glad it’s over tbh can’t wait for English domestic football to restart & regain some normality.

Minor point perhaps, but why is the first goal being given as a Mandžukić own goal? I've looked at the replays several times and for me, the effort from Griezmann is clearly on target. If anything, the touch from Mandžukić puts it slightly higher and more towards the side netting. Without that touch, based on everything I can see it was going lower and more centrally into the goal. I don't know of any official (FIFA/IFAB) rules on this but I thought the generally-accepted principle was that if the initial attempt is goal-bound it is credited to the player making the goal attempt.

Last edited:
Minor point perhaps, but why is the first goal being given as a Mandžukić own goal? I've looked at the replays several times and for me, the effort from Griezmann is clearly on target. If anything, the touch from Mandžukić puts it slightly higher and more towards the side netting. Without that touch, based on everything I can see it was going lower and more centrally into the goal. I don't know of any official (FIFA/IFAB) rules on this but I thought the generally-accepted principle was that if the initial attempt is goal-bound it is credited to the player making the goal attempt.
Good point there. While the principle is correct, its not a definitive definition. I wont argue if its given as an OG for two reasons.
1. The initial shot was not meant for goal and it was a cross.
2. Had it not been touched by Mandžukić, it would have been save by the keeper with relative ease.

Last edited:
The implementation of VAR was very flawed for the handball. The protocol clearly states not to look at handballs in slow motions. The reason is very simple. Slow motion gives the impression that the player had a lot more time to avoid the ball than he actually had. Yet the first and second replays for Pitana were in slow motion. Then there was one normal speed followed by another two or three slow motions replays. It unfairly influenced his decision.

1531719190938.png

If this same incident is replayed to ten experienced referee in normal speed, my guess is 8 or 9 would not give a handball. Ten other similar referees seeing in slow motion and 8 or 9 will give a handball. The process completely ignored the research, studies and experiments done in the effect of looking at slow motions replays on human perception.

I missed something in the chaos of the handball pk that someone pointed out to me this morning, sorry if its already been noticed, but, at the handball pk, the ref gave a goal kick..?
Does this tell us in real time he never saw Croatia defender touch the ball at all?

Spare a thought for Nikola Kalinić, Croatian player sent home after the first game because being a sub is beneath him v Nigeria...#Plonker!

I missed something in the chaos of the handball pk that someone pointed out to me this morning, sorry if its already been noticed, but, at the handball pk, the ref gave a goal kick..?
Does this tell us in real time he never saw Croatia defender touch the ball at all?
I had spotted this. And I wondered if, following the review he might go and award a corner, having seen that there was a clear error. However, he only went and give a bloody handball and PK.

I def should have spotted he gave a goal kick, without watching it again, he moves out the box and then we had the French swarm protesting
I def however overlooked it in the chaos that followed

It did however remind me that this tournament has basically reduced ARs to glorified club linos, at best
After all, they can leave close offsides pending a video review, and ignore usual off the ball calls etc as var will spot it.
Was any lino clearly involved in any big call, for better or worse?

Back