A&H

World cup final

Why wasn't the HB at the end of the game reviewed? It was more of a penalty than that being discussed because it was more avoidable? Answer... because the players didn't surround the referee en masse because the game was already won

The Referee Store
Time to move on chaps... Love Island.. Jack & Danni to win? MiB?

Yeah they’ve got it in the bag.

Its dragging on a bit now tbh don’t get me wrong the scenery never gets boring but I’m done with it now.

It’s getting that boring lately I’m considering reading the lotg.

He's entitled to have arms, but he has a responsibility to not be unnecessarily waving them around.

Look at the scenarios where an attacker is bearing down on goal. Defender crouches down in front. Now, if the defender is sticking his arms out to the side, and the attacker kicks the ball and it strikes the arm, we'd award a foul because he shouldn't have had his arms in that position. He's just making himself bigger - it might be 'natural' but it's also unnecessary and defenders have had to learn to make a conscious decision to move their arms elsewhere. Even more to the side of the body works in their favour.

So what's the difference when jumping?

Anyway, your argument against it being a foul is also a perfectly reasonable one and I don't really have anything to try to claim that's the incorrect approach to DHB. I see where your coming from and it makes sense. Not saying I agree ;-)

Stand in front of a mirror and try and jump as high as you can. You arms will come out to the side, then as you come back down they will drop back to your side. For me that is what happened here - he didn't intentionally move his arms towards the ball, rather he arm was already moving in that direction and accidentally swatted the ball.

If FIFA insist on that being intentional handling they should press IFAB for a law change to make any time the ball hits the hand an offence.

I must of had a dozen friends contact me about the call asking me what I’d of done!!! Most are in the no pen camp, a couple are in the pen camp? Very subjective decision for anyone, my gut feeling is normally your best thought... no pen for me!

I lost track of this debate pages ago but has anyone seen how both Matuidi (I believe) & Peresic are in tandom with there arm movements & anticipation for the ball it’s uncanny!

I’ve super slowed it down from behind the touchline and both on point do exactly the same from jump through to there arms coming back down.

If that’s a deliberate handball then they were both attempting to handball it as both had identical landing motions with there arms.

Do you believe Matuidi was deliberately attempting to handball his own teams corner?

For me it’s ball to hand in the process of landing & no penalty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stand in front of a mirror and try and jump as high as you can. You arms will come out to the side, then as you come back down they will drop back to your side. For me that is what happened here - he didn't intentionally move his arms towards the ball, rather he arm was already moving in that direction and accidentally swatted the ball.

If FIFA insist on that being intentional handling they should press IFAB for a law change to make any time the ball hits the hand an offence.
And that Rusty is the panacea to all the handball disagreements.........change the flipping law...........

If you think that's handball then I hope you call handball on EVERY hand/arm contact in your matches to be consistent.
It was so NOT a handball they should show it in new ref's class as what ISN'T a handball.
I don't know how anyone who has actually played football (at ANY level) can think this is a pen

If you think that's handball then I hope you call handball on EVERY hand/arm contact in your matches to be consistent.
It was so NOT a handball they should show it in new ref's class as what ISN'T a handball.
I don't know how anyone who has actually played football (at ANY level) can think this is a pen

Skip back a few pages someone labelled it a nailed on pen :wide:

You've learned well over this World Cup MiB..... You may be ready now to rise the slippery pole!!! Saddle up folks! :angel:

I’m going into this season with a positive relaxed attitude well i actually refereed a friendly the other day u23’s good standard of football was a pleasure & was the first time I thought Jesus I could get used to this brand of football new ground 4g pitch etc.

Although I did slip back to my old ways slightly, had a fella moan about an offside that the Lino flagged for i blew for it & the player wouldn’t shut up so i took my shirt off well got it half over my head & said swap shirts you ref the rest of the game & I’ll play in Centre mid. He was gobsmacked no ref no ref I was just saying, I smiled and said let’s crack on with the game then.

I promised myself I woudnt share that moment because it ends up in 10 page conversations about what I’ve done wrong & how I’m a disgrace to the badge etc, I’ll not be sharing any of my magical moments this coming season but of course will still ask for advice on the lotg after I’ve researched them myself 🤥

No one has said you’re a disgrace, I actually applaud your candidness. You can guess that most of us have fecked up, I certainly have. Good thing is sometimes bringing up these things actually helps shyer members who may not want to ask or admit stuff...

I’m just imagining what people on here was thinking when reading my match reports last season lol can’t blame them for thinking it was a wind up.

Nah I’m gonna get myself a week in Cyprus early Sep I’ve got my Howard Webb book & LOTG, I’ll come back fully tuned & ready to rumble.

I’m going into this season with a positive relaxed attitude well i actually refereed a friendly the other day u23’s good standard of football was a pleasure & was the first time I thought Jesus I could get used to this brand of football new ground 4g pitch etc.

Although I did slip back to my old ways slightly, had a fella moan about an offside that the Lino flagged for i blew for it & the player wouldn’t shut up so i took my shirt off well got it half over my head & said swap shirts you ref the rest of the game & I’ll play in Centre mid. He was gobsmacked no ref no ref I was just saying, I smiled and said let’s crack on with the game then.

I promised myself I woudnt share that moment because it ends up in 10 page conversations about what I’ve done wrong & how I’m a disgrace to the badge etc, I’ll not be sharing any of my magical moments this coming season but of course will still ask for advice on the lotg after I’ve researched them myself 🤥

I have seen me do similar, but with the whistle. Offer them it and say
" here, you take over and me and everybody else can shout at you instead"

Not sure what I would do if the guy agreed right enough, luckily, it aint happened yet

I have seen me do similar, but with the whistle. Offer them it and say
" here, you take over and me and everybody else can shout at you instead"

Not sure what I would do if the guy agreed right enough, luckily, it aint happened yet

Just the thought of it scares the life out of them although if I’m persuaded to play the odd game again next season & the ref offers me the whistle it could get interesting.

Back