A&H

Women’s appointments

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
Just seeing if I’m unique in this but being a level 7/4W and going for 3W I’m in a weird predicament with appointments.

To prepare myself for WNL and 3W I really need regional women’s games that are closer to the standard and often include NARs but it seems most appointment secretaries in my area won’t give them to me because I’m a 7.

I get why but if the women’s pathway is going to be separate, using men’s levels to judge appointments just seems pointless and potentially damaging. No wonder most referees on my regional league are male whilst county games have more of a mix.

The Referee Store
I had similar issues when getting my 3W. I reasoned that it was down to the significant disparity between number of womens leagues/games vs mens on Sundays. Would just be much easier to get a mens Sunday league match.
Eventually got through with one of the womens leagues in my area - its all about building connections with other referees and appointments officers, and who you know.

Similar position to you. In the WNL dressing room, I've been told several times by referee's that I don't belong there due to my level (3W but 7 mens pathway). I don't referee mens football at all. Haven't done for around 5 years now and I'm staying with womens football for the foreseeable. For me, I just ignored them and got on with the job with several great observations over the last year.

The womens game is very different. Different expectations, different skill set needed in certain situations and definitely something that requires the different pathways. The regional league did prepare me for the national league in terms of preparation, matchday experience, paperwork and player management.

As Volt has said, get closer to other referees on the league and reach out to the AO.

Similar position to you. In the WNL dressing room, I've been told several times by referee's that I don't belong there due to my level (3W but 7 mens pathway). I don't referee mens football at all. Haven't done for around 5 years now and I'm staying with womens football for the foreseeable. For me, I just ignored them and got on with the job with several great observations over the last year.

The womens game is very different. Different expectations, different skill set needed in certain situations and definitely something that requires the different pathways. The regional league did prepare me for the national league in terms of preparation, matchday experience, paperwork and player management.

As Volt has said, get closer to other referees on the league and reach out to the AO.
If it's a women's game within the women's pathway and you're the relevant women's level, why would you not belong ? Why is there a comparison to the main levels ?

If it's a women's game within the women's pathway and you're the relevant women's level, why would you not belong ? Why is there a comparison to the main levels ?
Thats a great question and the answer is there shouldn't be. I suppose it's more of a them and us mentality with some of the referees I've had in the middle who were L4 or L3 possibly thinking they were going to get another 'experienced' ref on the line and I turn up (even though I've been doing this for over 10 years now).

I'm over it, happy with my journey, happy with where I am and will continue to work hard to get as high as I can through the womens pathway.

Yeah I think the fact both AOs for my two local leagues have been replaced and the new ones aren't always responsive (been particularly bad this past month).

Good for you on the rest of your message, you're assessed at the same criteria as the 4s and are more than capable I am sure!

2/3 of my 4w-3w promotion have come on mens games anyway

Thats a great question and the answer is there shouldn't be. I suppose it's more of a them and us mentality with some of the referees I've had in the middle who were L4 or L3 possibly thinking they were going to get another 'experienced' ref on the line and I turn up (even though I've been doing this for over 10 years now).

I'm over it, happy with my journey, happy with where I am and will continue to work hard to get as high as I can through the womens pathway.
Out of interest, why have you not progressed through the main pathway ? What is a 3W ?

I just don't know why you wouldn't soldier on to level 5 anyway. Woman's games are open age games, I used plenty for my level 6/5.

So a level 5 would be easily achievable.

I can see you have 14 middles so far this season, probably could use what you did last season also, most likely already have 25 middles.

I just don't know why you wouldn't soldier on to level 5 anyway. Woman's games are open age games, I used plenty for my level 6/5.

So a level 5 would be easily achievable.

I can see you have 14 middles so far this season, probably could use what you did last season also, most likely already have 25 middles.
This is helpful to know that you can use women's games also, as I didn't realise that. Plenty of thought now for my OA games next season!

Do all 3W's get WC AR appointments or is it only selected "promising" officials?
Looking at the April appointments on MOAS, it appears that the net is cast wide, not just "promising" officials. That is in line with the men's pathway, where Level 4's are appointed to assist Level 3's, etc.

This is helpful to know that you can use women's games also, as I didn't realise that. Plenty of thought now for my OA games next season!
Yeah I swapped my youth league on the sunday for women's.
So basically tick off 2 open age a week.
Came in handy as I got my level 5 with exactly 25 middles and 5 lines, did my 25th match the day before the cutoff. Not one match nor 1 day to spare.

Do all 3W's get WC AR appointments or is it only selected "promising" officials?
It used to be the case, but now there are a lot more 3Ws than even two years ago. There exists an unspoken 2WAR level which is now being classified into the 3W fitness tests which they expect of us this Summer.

It used to be the case, but now there are a lot more 3Ws than even two years ago. There exists an unspoken 2WAR level which is now being classified into the 3W fitness tests which they expect of us this Summer.
I'm now even more confused 🤣 I had no idea there was a fitness test for 3W's.

Same as 4s. In a lot of ways it’s a women’s pathway equivalent to 4 (but some forum members don’t like to hear it)
I had considered going for 3W next year, but now I know that's the case I'll stick to men's pathway for a year or two to improve fitness to that standard.

Out of interest, why have you not progressed through the main pathway ? What is a 3W ?
To be honest, I just don't like men's football at any level other than watching international matches. I reffed it for just over 5 years and fell out of love with it towards the end. Maybe one day I'll get back into but for now I'm happy. I get a minimum of one game per week and enjoy every minute of the match day.

To be honest, I just don't like men's football at any level other than watching international matches. I reffed it for just over 5 years and fell out of love with it towards the end. Maybe one day I'll get back into but for now I'm happy. I get a minimum of one game per week and enjoy every minute of the match day.
Echo this!

Back