A&H

Winter clothing

The Referee Store
Do shorts and knee high socks not provide enough cover for the legs? Never understood the benefit of tights, especially when most of them are manufactured specifically for cooling the body and not actually providing warmth.
Yeah they make a big difference. I'd rather see my AR in track pants than tights personally...

Did a semi final as an AR last season during a blizzard at Penistone (Yorkshire moors). Refs instructions were "wear what you want, it's as cold as ive ever known". Took the long sleeve shirt out of its packaging and off we went. Used to work and play football in Buxton, highest town in England. Sheffield is tropical compared to that place. I did waver and brought a flask of hot chocolate for half time.

The coldest I have ever been in this country was in Northampton in January. It was bitter all week i was there, and I lived up North for 10 years.

In all seriousness. If you're so cold/wet that it's having an adverse effect on you and your ability to do what you're been paying to do then it makes no sense whatsoever to not take appropriate action. I thought the refs comments to "wear what you want" in those conditions was very sensible. We all have different tolerances.

Would a referee ever tell his ARs not to wear particular clothing even in the harshest conditions?

I think there are a few who try to "tell". But I would always wear whatever I need if it's cold (well, long sleeves!).

Depends on your aspirations. If you want to get to higher levels you might as well get used to it, as trust me as a L4 you will have to freeze your nuts off as AR on a one sided supply league game in January with the howling wind blowing in a snow storm. The best you'll have to protect you is long sleeves, base layers and gloves, but you certainly won't be wearing leggings, hat, coat, etc as it wouldn't be allowed.

PL and FL games are played in very cold and even snowy weather sometimes, have you ever seen a referee at that level wearing a hat or leggings? I know that FIFA have a threshold below which officials can wear leggings, but that's about it.

Back