spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
Its not too far away now.

Whats acceptable, whats a total no no.

GLOVES

SNOOD

BASE LAYERS

HAT (baldy ref)

SWEATSHIRT (black nike one with appropriate county badges on)

The Referee Store
Base layers, including various thicknesses and collars, and tights for me if it's approaching 5 degrees or under, and gloves in extremis, especially as AR (or one glove with the whistle).

Snood, hat, sweatshirt all to be avoided IMHO. I did wear a hat in a blizzard game once.

(In October and April we have a lot of games in near freezing conditions or worse. Only a handful of games outside in the off season between Nov-Mar. Today I have an evening game in 7 and windy in a big empty stadium. Tights yes. Hat no.)

Snoods are not permitted equipment any more so I'd bin the idea of that straight away.

The others are all acceptable depending on your preference.

Wouldn't normally bother me the hat but being a baldy your head gets freezing.

Fellow baldy here but i would rather freeze to death than wear a hat. May sound stupid but rub some baby oil into you napper before you go out, another fellow baldy gave me that advice a while back and it works a treat!

Depends on what your aspirations are, but if aiming for L4 and above the best you are going to get is gloves so you might as well get used to the cold now. Leggings, hats, hoodies, etc, are a big no no and you'd be pulled to pieces, although you might get away with a sweatshirt under your main shirt.

At lower levels I would probably be OK with black leggings under the short and socks, but that's about it. The players can't wear hats, hoodies, coats, trackie bottoms, etc, so I wouldn't be best impressed if I observed a referee doing just that.

Reactions: JH
I tried to tough it out my first season and there is no point. Go for long sleeve base layer and gloves without hesitation. I don’t go beyond that as I don’t feel the need no matter how cold. But perhaps if I was doing multiple youth matches back to back and not running very fast or far I would look at a hat.

Snood- no. Not even off the pitch ;-)

Mix the the baby oil with deep heat apparently it works very well. base layers gloves once last season I wore skins on my legs but I was doing a young age group on a small pitch so wasn't going to move much. These only apply to southern refs as anybody north of crewe will ref in -10 Eskimos vs Laps with a ball of ice and still work up a sweat:).

And this is meant to be the snowflake generation !!!

In my day, central heating was a fire in the middle of the house :old:

When it was cold in our house in the early 70s we’d all huddle around the one coal fire just to keep warm... if it was really cold Dad would light it! :redcard:

Its not too far away now.

Whats acceptable, whats a total no no.

GLOVES

SNOOD

BASE LAYERS

HAT (baldy ref)

SWEATSHIRT (black nike one with appropriate county badges on)
If you're genuinely thinking of wearing more than long sleeve under armour and a pair of gloves, then it's too cold to play.

I'v never had a problem with my AR's wearing a RA jacket in cold/wet weather, even a clear poncho. There's more important things than the overstated importance on appearance.

I mean, yes, appearance is important, but I'd argue that being highly uncomfortable (even risking your health) is going to affect your game more than some arguably highly subtle notion of whether somebody has a slightly yet imperceptibly lower amount of respect for your because you're wearing something warm that influences them to show greater dissent, which in turn influences other to dissent and destroys your match control.

As a referee with glasses, I'd wear a hat if it so much as looks like raining. although I'd also wear a hat if I have a fairly long day (3-5 games) just to reduce sun fatigue (even mid winter can be well over 20 degrees celsius).

I used to referee at a youth tournament once a year in a particularly cold part of Australia, referees and AR's would be wearing tracksuits and beanies. Just a matter of being much colder than we're used to...and, youth tournament and a full week of weather exposure. So again, it's about what's actually important.

Anyway, Snood, no. Sweatshirt? I'd argue to get yourself a jacket. Gloves, hat, no problem for me as an assessor. Always found it ridiculous that we somehow think that officials aren't allowed to dress appropriately for the weather.

But it's a 'when in Rome' thing, of course. You can disagree with things while still abiding by them!

Do shorts and knee high socks not provide enough cover for the legs? Never understood the benefit of tights, especially when most of them are manufactured specifically for cooling the body and not actually providing warmth.

Long sleeved base layer on cold days. Only ever wore gloves once and that was for the second half of a really cold night game as assistant.

Back