Yellow or Red

• Yellow

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Red

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters
The Referee Store
Said red as soon as it happened so wasn’t a surprise for me

The thing that gets me is the the pundits are OK with it being a foul (for me it's a dive) yet are all certain its not dogso (which it clearly is - if you give the foul)

Red card. Don't grab the attacker by the arm and you're the last man. And we know that the ref will never call the foul if he doesn't go down. This was a foul.

Absolutely fine with the red card, but I don't really think it was a foul. He's felt the contact and thrown himself over, in giving a penalty for this it is just encouraging players to dive.

It's probably a red(can't really be a yellow I don't think as there was no attempt for the ball) but he is not exactly through on goal there either. I think fans find it hard to accept a red card can be given for not a nailed on DOGSO like that yet a very cynical foul in the middle of the pitch can just be a yellow.

It's probably a red(can't really be a yellow I don't think as there was no attempt for the ball) but he is not exactly through on goal there either. I think fans find it hard to accept a red card can be given for not a nailed on DOGSO like that yet a very cynical foul in the middle of the pitch can just be a yellow.

At the time of the foul he is just outside the area, moving into it, and the touch doesn't really take it wide. The way the pundits were talking you would have thought it would have been by the corner flag by the time he got it under control, but in reality he would have been well inside the area one on one with the keeper. That can only really be a red card.

At the time of the foul he is just outside the area, moving into it, and the touch doesn't really take it wide. The way the pundits were talking you would have thought it would have been by the corner flag by the time he got it under control, but in reality he would have been well inside the area one on one with the keeper. That can only really be a red card.

No but the angle was not heading towards the goalmouth either(more the 18 yard line) and with a potential covering defender I'm not too convinced it's a clear DOGSO imo. I think there be less complaints if the angle was more towards the goalmouth.

can't really be a yellow I don't think as there was no attempt for the ball
This only applies to fouls inside the area which is not the case here.

the angle was not heading towards the goalmouth
This is not a requirement. His overall movement has to be towards goal and general direction of play is considered. Both of these tick the box for DOGSO.

potential covering defender
He was a bit too far away for me and slowing down.

No but the angle was not heading towards the goalmouth either(more the 18 yard line) and with a potential covering defender I'm not too convinced it's a clear DOGSO imo. I think there be less complaints if the angle was more towards the goalmouth.
That doesnt matter. There was aaw change to address this in recent future to say general direction towards the goal.

It's a very very cheap foul to give away. He has looked at him, moved into him and very lightly grabbed him so gave the referee a decision to make on the foul.
I'm not sold on foul but you blow the whistle here it must be followed by red.
Distance, direction, number of defenders and control all in no doubt for me.

Thought the more interesting event was the referee stopping play due to a pitch invader during WHU's attack late on.

WHU fan too! Silly.

I think it's debateable whether it was actually a foul, but it's naive from Cresswell. It was obvious what the attacker was trying to do and he fell for it (and in doing so gave the ref a decision to make). Had to be a red once he'd given the foul and it wasn't a C&O error that warranted VAR stepping in.

I found Zouma’s tracking back interesting, he hardly sprinted back, if he had I think he could have contributed to it being less DOGSO. He didn’t view it as an imminent danger to his goal?

Would you still award a red card if this was a youth game?(u11/u12)

Skill level at that age group is far lower, so it’s less likely to meet the obvious criteria, and it may not even be a possible opportunity.

At those age groups, any case of Denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity or even denying a goal has to be so obvious that nobody can genuinely argue against it - eg past the goalkeeper and pulled bodily off the ball, shoved over, or a blatant punch/slap the ball off the line.

Back