A&H

Where is offside?

I am more and more stunned by this thread. I was amazed that Brian thought that it was possible to have the IDFK for offside in the players own half and now we have a level 4 ref who believes the same thing! I really thought that the position of the IDFK for offside was one of the things that referees knew but players and spectators constantly got wrong - a bit like the ball having to leave the PA on free kicks as well as goal kicks - but it seems I was wrong.

The law quoted above is very clear...I really don't see how this confusion has arisen...I'm off to have a bit of a lie down...

The Referee Store
Somehow, I've managed to bite my tongue on this thread, but I can't do so any longer.

An IDFK for offside CAN NEVER, EVER, EVER be taken from inside the offending team's defensive half (the kicking team's attacking half).

The offending player only becomes active once he ticks all the appropriate law stipulations, but he starts that BY BEING IN THE OFFSIDE POSITION (you can't be offside if you aren't in an offside position!).

Therefore, the IDFK takes place from the starting position of the offside player. Seeing as you can't be offside in your own half, the starting position for offside can't be in your own half and thusly, neither can the IDFK.

In addition (referencing one of Brian's earlier comments about the AR moving 30 yards), yes that is exactly what is supposed to happen! I can't believe that there Supply/Contrib league officials (refs, AR's & assessors) who have got this wrong. That scares me.

Someone who had a go at me when I skated the new L4's, feel free to bake some humble pie!!!!!!!!!!!

I am more and more stunned by this thread. I was amazed that Brian thought that it was possible to have the IDFK for offside in the players own half and now we have a level 4 ref who believes the same thing! I really thought that the position of the IDFK for offside was one of the things that referees knew but players and spectators constantly got wrong - a bit like the ball having to leave the PA on free kicks as well as goal kicks - but it seems I was wrong.

The law quoted above is very clear...I really don't see how this confusion has arisen...I'm off to have a bit of a lie down...
I didn't ever say it should be taken from inside the offending players own half. if you can find where I did and quote where I said it should, I'll be happy to agree with you.

Somehow, I've managed to bite my tongue on this thread, but I can't do so any longer.

An IDFK for offside CAN NEVER, EVER, EVER be taken from inside the offending team's defensive half (the kicking team's attacking half).

The offending player only becomes active once he ticks all the appropriate law stipulations, but he starts that BY BEING IN THE OFFSIDE POSITION (you can't be offside if you aren't in an offside position!).

Therefore, the IDFK takes place from the starting position of the offside player. Seeing as you can't be offside in your own half, the starting position for offside can't be in your own half and thusly, neither can the IDFK.

In addition (referencing one of Brian's earlier comments about the AR moving 30 yards), yes that is exactly what is supposed to happen! I can't believe that there Supply/Contrib league officials (refs, AR's & assessors) who have got this wrong. That scares me.

Someone who had a go at me when I skated the new L4's, feel free to bake some humble pie!!!!!!!!!!!
Supposed to Dan but very rarely (if ever) happens. Law vs practice.

C'mon Bian

From where the offence occurred. It's not an offence to be in an offside position so it can't be where he was when it was played to him.

You're not talking "practice" here, you're clearly talking law, just admit it already and move on

C'mon Brian
You're not talking "practice" here, you're clearly talking law, just admit it already and move on
You're right that part was law. That was right at the start of this thread and was before the debate got going but I think we have moved on from there.

The part about not running 30m back up the line to the position of the player who eventually touched the ball, after running 30m alongside a team mate, was practice. It can be about both and often is during games.

Oh and I've corrected the spelling of my name when I quoted your post, just in case you hadn't noticed. <inserts invisible smiley>

Sorry Bran ( :p )

How could you say "that was correct at the time" ? That was never correct ! The law didn't change during the discussion

Sorry Bran ( :p )

How could you say "that was correct at the time" ? That was never correct ! The law didn't change during the discussion
Ha ha I have just re-read my post (2nd one in the thread) and it is not worded correctly. I apologise for being the village idiot on this occasion.

It's the expected practice at Contrib as well as being law!
Thanks for that. I'll mention it at my first Contrib assessors seminar on Sunday

@McTavish you quoted my post which resulted in me admitting I was an idiot to @Yacinho but it doesn't say I would ever award a free kick in the offending player's half. So if you want another try I'll let you have a go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm stunned that what is in essence a simple law can run to three pages.
Paralysis by Analysis. Many inexperienced referees reading this thread will have ended up far more confused than when they started!!

Let me know what's said please!
The directives for Contrib Assessors are currently being re-written so no outright answer available. The rest of the meeting was taken up trying to achieve consistency in the classification of offences careless/reckless/excessive force. The criteria used are the same I've been using while training/assess referees for about 4 years, so it's all good. Can't wait for the season to start.

Do you let 13yo become assessors in the UK ? I'm starting to get really worried

Back