A&H

When is it too windy?

TelBoyThomas

Afternoon all. I’m a new ref and have been contacted by a club I am reffing tomorow asking what are the wind limitiations for U13 football. I’d assume it’s probably more a common sense call, but looking for some advice all the same. Cheers Terry.

The Referee Store
For me, and in experience, common sense.
Does ball stay still?
Esp at that age, can keeper kick goal kick out of box
Get keepers to try if you must, get an overall feeling for what the consensus is
Any safety factors?
Is is farcical right from the start?
You should get a rough idea in your head on the way there, and when you get there

Turned up at Arbroath once, (which is bang on the north sea and when doing a game there the waves actual hit you), opened car door and it near flew off....took about 5 mins to walk the 2 mins to the changing room, there was shakes of heads all round on arrival....
Did not even change into trackie, out onto pitch, could hardly turn head into the wind....everyone is like "ref we cant play in that"....
Quick formality to make it look good..ball out...whoosh, its away like an empty crisp packet...
Factually..cant even start the game as ball will not be stationery !
Gk, could not place ball for goal kick.....when he did..kicked it...flew out and back over his head...
No chance. game off.

Never stopped a game for wind, i've had temporary stops of games for torrential downpours and strong hail but wind generally adds to the fun!!!
Not sure how it can be classed as unsafe!!!

Never stopped a game for wind, i've had temporary stops of games for torrential downpours and strong hail but wind generally adds to the fun!!!

Ayr v ICT week last Friday was meant to be BT Sport live game, went off hour b4 kick off....too windy
Games at Queen of South went off few seasons back..some roof blew off and onto the pitch...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46395343

How can you play if ball wont stay still ? You gonna have a player holding it like at school so someone else can kick it?
pens?

Thanks for the advice. 45 mph winds due tomorrow morning so can’t honestly see how it will go ahead. Having players lay on the floor holding the ball for kick off seems a bit too much to me, albeit I have great memories of being that kid holding the ball when I was 12 years old.

I'm not sure i would call it off for wind the say before based on a forecast. If I turn up on the day and it's so windy that it would be farcical to play then it's off

I once dropped one on the hard seats on a bus upstairs, 4 people all turned around together.... It was like I was on 'The Voice'!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Struggling to see how normal wind can be considered dangerous.... Start looking for excuses to play game!!!

It wouldn’t necessarily be a case of it being unsafe, more that the conditions make the game farcical

Thanks for the advice. 45 mph winds due tomorrow morning so can’t honestly see how it will go ahead. Having players lay on the floor holding the ball for kick off seems a bit too much to me, albeit I have great memories of being that kid holding the ball when I was 12 years old.

We had three (maybe four) games off today after 20-30 minutes for the weather.

Wind was atrocious, it really marred the match I had referee today, and I was awful because I'd run one way and the bloody ball would go back over my head or go in a different direction.

With kids I think the threshold should be lower, if they can't hit the ball about, what's the point?

I played a fair amount of football in North Derbyshire (Peak District), so when it comes to adverse weather, there's probably nowhere else in England that compares! The majority of games where it's been really windy has just meant that the teams have to adjust their tactics and play on, no problem. It's incredibly rare that in adult football that both teams don't want to play because of the wind (and I think we should take that in to account in these situations because unlike frozen pitches, there's rarely safety implications for high winds). But if the wind was gale force and you struggled to even stand up then i would abandon. 40mph winds tomorrow and in my experience everyone would want to play and conditions would be difficult but perfectly playable.

Back