A&H

When is ball inside penalty area? (5 a side)

If the ball is on the line when the 'keeper handles it, then the Direct free kick could also be on the line and therefore in the area! Therefore it should be a penalty kick for handling by a goalkeeper within his penalty area!

Not sure how the last bit follows.

If the GK's hand is on the line it's not an offence. If he handles it outside the line the FK is given from where he handled it. Where would you place the ball for a foul just outside the penalty area? Personally I can't see a problem under the laws if the ball touches the ground outside the PA and part of the ball is in the penalty area - but then I don't go with the whole concept of extrapolating law 9 to anything else (e.g. goal kick taken when the base of the ball is outside the goal area).

The Referee Store
If the goalkeeper touches the ball when the majority is inside but his hand is an inch outside the penalty area then the ball would have to be placed on the line. If you're moving it outside the area so it isn't on the line then you're not taking it from where the offence was committed. I wasn't suggesting that was what you'd do, but players would be asking why it's not a penalty kick when the ball is on the line, and they'd have a point.

I agree it's messy, but the Law states that the goalkeeper can handle the ball within his own penalty area (the ball, not the goalkeeper) The Law does not say the goalkeeper has to be in the PA, or even on the field to handle the ball, as long as it's inside his own penalty area.

As I said, if I believe the ball to be outside the area then it's a direct free kick. If I believe it to be inside then play on. Anything else is looking for trouble and I send enough off anyway without doing that!

If the goalkeeper touches the ball when the majority is inside but his hand is an inch outside the penalty area then the ball would have to be placed on the line. If you're moving it outside the area so it isn't on the line then you're not taking it from where the offence was committed. I wasn't suggesting that was what you'd do, but players would be asking why it's not a penalty kick when the ball is on the line, and they'd have a point.

I agree it's messy, but the Law states that the goalkeeper can handle the ball within his own penalty area (the ball, not the goalkeeper) The Law does not say the goalkeeper has to be in the PA, or even on the field to handle the ball, as long as it's inside his own penalty area.

As I said, if I believe the ball to be outside the area then it's a direct free kick. If I believe it to be inside then play on. Anything else is looking for trouble and I send enough off anyway without doing that!
It's not messy. If the offence (handball, trip, strike etc) is an inch outside the PA, then the base of the ball can go on that spot an inch outside the line. Whether you would put it there rather than a bit further outside the line is another matter. The only exception (I think) is for an offence outside the FoP when the FK is taken on the boundary line.

Supposing the ball is going out of play for a throw in. Before it has fully crossed over the touchline a player handles it, outside of the field of play, and picks it up for the throw.
The player is allowed to handle the ball outside of the field, but the ball is still inside the field of play, even if only just.
What would you give?

Why would a player (other than the GK in / just outside his area) be allowed to handle the ball outside the FoP (while the ball is in play)? It's a FK on the line (or penalty if it's a defender behind the line of the penalty area).

No one ever thought there was a question if a defender punched the ball out from behind the goal line within the goal if his hand was behind the line. Penalty.

Back