A&H

When a ref on promotion needs to notify the RDO she has a match

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I'm writing a web application to facilitate reporting match appointments to RDOs by referees, and appointment of observers to those matches by RDOs.

Referees on promotion need to notify the RDO when they are appointed to referee a competitive match. (I think that's universal, correct me if I'm wrong).

Some levels need to do a certain number of lines. Which levels are these and do they ever get observed?

Do any referees need to notify an RDO if they are appointed fourth official?

[For the purposes of this question I am assuming it's the RDO managing the promotion scheme, I realise that's not always the case]

The Referee Store
You will find the county FA websites useful, e.g. www.hampshirefa.com has a full list of requirements from Levels 7 to 4. Assistant Referees on Supply Leagues will receive observations next season - but not as part of their promotion observations, carried out by Supply League observers.
In some counties, as you say, the RDO is not the person who needs to be told about games - it can be the County FA individual managing the promotion scheme, or an area Observer Appointments Officer, for example. Hope that helps.

You will find the county FA websites useful, e.g. www.hampshirefa.com has a full list of requirements from Levels 7 to 4.

Thanks, so for example on level 6 -> 5 they need to do 5 lines but they are not observed - do they need to report those appointments as they are made in the same way that they report their refereeing appointments?

I'd ask my RDO but he's furloughed ;)

Thanks, so for example on level 6 -> 5 they need to do 5 lines but they are not observed - do they need to report those appointments as they are made in the same way that they report their refereeing appointments?

I'd ask my RDO but he's furloughed ;)

Refs need to keep a record of their games and provide it to their County FA to show that they've completed the requirements in terms of games.

A good CFA representative for the promotion will be speaking with referees on promotion to see how they are doing with their quantity of games.

This season just gone, I have did the level 7 to 6 promotion scheme.

At the end of each month I had to supply a record of matches I officiated on to my RDO. It was essentially an excel spreadsheet, I entered each game I did, home & away teams, venue, age range, competition, whether I was ref or asst. ref.

If it was a qualifying fixture (for promotion purposes) I would highlight the game (green if ref, yellow if asst. ref). So if, for example, I did an U16 County game I could record it on my log, but I wouldn’t highlight it, just to show my RDO I was doing plenty of games. Not really an onerous task, and probably not worth building an app or webpage to do the same job.

In addition, I had to notify someone else (not the RDO, but the “observer supervisor“ (don’t know the real term)) of my upcoming qualifying games. On the leagues I do, I would typically only be assigned about a week (typically less than) a week before the game. I would just send him an email, usually just a greeting, a bit of standard text, and then I’d copy & paste the relevant Details from full time.

Again, this worked well, and allowed quite a bit of flexibility in Jan & Feb this year when games were changing at quite short notice due to the weather.

You possibly could automate this part of the process, but I’m not sure what would be gained over how it currently works.

hth

Jeff

You possibly could automate this part of the process, but I’m not sure what would be gained over how it currently works.

From your point of view it won't make a lot of difference.

From the "observer supervisor" point of view these would be some of the benefits:

- no errors on the match submissions because the details (eg. venue address) are checked by the system
- no need to transfer matches to a spreadsheet - see a list in the app
- when assigning observers to a list of matches the list shows you
- the number of observations the ref has had so far
- which observers are available that day
- how far each observer is from the match
- automatically email the referee and the observer of the observer appointment

From your point of view it won't make a lot of difference.

From the "observer supervisor" point of view these would be some of the benefits:

- no errors on the match submissions because the details (eg. venue address) are checked by the system
- no need to transfer matches to a spreadsheet - see a list in the app
- when assigning observers to a list of matches the list shows you
- the number of observations the ref has had so far
- which observers are available that day
- how far each observer is from the match
- automatically email the referee and the observer of the observer appointment
You should also consider which observers have already seen the referee, as counties try to use different observers each time.

The process @RefJef describes is pretty much the same as what I did. As said, not sure if there's really anything to gain from a referee's perspective in terms of sending in fixtures.

Something our Observer Coordinator asked for was to simply forward Full-time email notifications, that way they have all the relevant match details.

I think this system would be better to aid observer appointing officers/coordinators, so it might be worth finding some of their contact details to get an idea of what they want/need.

This season just gone, I have did the level 7 to 6 promotion scheme.

At the end of each month I had to supply a record of matches I officiated on to my RDO. It was essentially an excel spreadsheet, I entered each game I did, home & away teams, venue, age range, competition, whether I was ref or asst. ref.

If it was a qualifying fixture (for promotion purposes) I would highlight the game (green if ref, yellow if asst. ref). So if, for example, I did an U16 County game I could record it on my log, but I wouldn’t highlight it, just to show my RDO I was doing plenty of games. Not really an onerous task, and probably not worth building an app or webpage to do the same job.

In addition, I had to notify someone else (not the RDO, but the “observer supervisor“ (don’t know the real term)) of my upcoming qualifying games. On the leagues I do, I would typically only be assigned about a week (typically less than) a week before the game. I would just send him an email, usually just a greeting, a bit of standard text, and then I’d copy & paste the relevant Details from full time.

Again, this worked well, and allowed quite a bit of flexibility in Jan & Feb this year when games were changing at quite short notice due to the weather.

hth

Jeff

Similar to this. We were given a spreadsheet at the start of the season to fill in as we go. It was pointed out to us that we weren't to alter the format in any way (clearly there had been some issues previously with people reformatting it). I kept my own record of all games that I did and the CFA spreadsheet for all games that qualified as a 'promotion game'. I attached my own spreadsheet, which had a few friendlies and junior games on just so the RDO could see I was doing plenty of games should he want to (I assumed he wouldn't look at it but it was there to prove my availability over the course of the season was good. We had changed RDOs mid season and the amount of CFA appointments dropped for a while). I left the promotion spreadhseet filled in as mentioned above, with only promotion criteria games inputted.

Last edited:
Back