A&H

Whats happened here then?

markieg

Level 7 Referee
http://www.skysports.com/football/port-vale-vs-fleetwood/358863

Towards the end of the match, a player appears to headbutt (or at least attempt too) another. Then Grant gets upset about something and ends up with his shirt ripped off. The ref then shows Grant a yellow card, followed by a red (as this was his second yellow).

Now my question is about man managing, something has happened to make the player (Grant) react in the manner that he does. Reports from fans that side of the pitch is that another player was racist towards him( although this can not be proven, it would explain the reaction) So, should the ref, not have taken him to the side and spoken to him about why he was upset, rather than using the cards to manage. If it was down to racism the ref has not helped the situation here, by using the cards.

When I started refereeing I was always told that my mouth is better than the cards to manage a match. Recently it seems to be the other way round.

The Referee Store
Difficult to know without seeing a better angle and being able to hear what was said.

But there is no doubt that Grant was physically grappling with an opponent and this caused his shirt to be ripped off. So I can certainly see a caution here as long as the person he was grappling with was also cautioned.

When the temperature of the game has reached that level there is nothing the referee could do other than what he did. How could the referee be expected to manage that situation with a word? Its nigh on impossible.

So, should the ref, not have taken him to the side and spoken to him about why he was upset, rather than using the cards to manage. If it was down to racism the ref has not helped the situation here, by using the cards.

When I started refereeing I was always told that my mouth is better than the cards to manage a match. Recently it seems to be the other way round.
Why?
No matter what the other player did, Grant is responsible for his actions. Are you saying the referee should be saying 'oh, so you're claiming the other player did something I didn't see or hear? Well, I guess that makes your actions okay then'.

Players get upset over absolutely nothing - or about a perception of something that doesn't reflect reality. what's the point in asking why they're upset? This isn't therapy.

I think the fact that we're talking about 'using cards to manage' is one of the fundamental problems with the game today. Why can't we be like other sports and just hold players accountable for their actions?
Maybe then it will actually be easier to manage!

Why?
No matter what the other player did, Grant is responsible for his actions. Are you saying the referee should be saying 'oh, so you're claiming the other player did something I didn't see or hear? Well, I guess that makes your actions okay then'.

Players get upset over absolutely nothing - or about a perception of something that doesn't reflect reality. what's the point in asking why they're upset? This isn't therapy.

I think the fact that we're talking about 'using cards to manage' is one of the fundamental problems with the game today. Why can't we be like other sports and just hold players accountable for their actions?

This ^^^^

All day long.

My old man is a massive Port Vale fan and came moaning about it last Sunday.

He asked me to look at it with him on the replay, so we did. I have to agree with the second yellow. Naturally the old bean thought it was ridiculous as it was his team and duly sulked I didn't agree with him.

Apparently Grant came back onto the pitch after the final whistle to remonstrate with the officials, which has subsequently earns him an additional FA charge.

Naturally if there is a racial event to this it is appalling, but I don't agree it should have changed the referees actions at the time. Grant also has form as a hot-head, so it shouldn't come as any great surprise to many people.

Why?

Considering how close the ref and the assistant were to the incident, I would say they should have heard what happened. The player was angry at another player and the ref should have managed that, why did the player that pulled the shirt off his back not get a yellow ? I am concerned that the ref did not appear to know what was happening, so just decided to use the cards to manage anything at the time rather than trying to manage it.

Back