A&H

What would you do??

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
If the player called you a f***ing c**k end.....would you be walking them?

Of course I would. But that doesn't mean I feel the same way about him calling an oppo the same. Besides, he may be factually correct.

Sorry but to verbally abuse a neutral authority figure is a much more serious offence than an opposition player who may have reason to be angry with.

Not saying that's ok or right, but I won't be sending anybody off for a bit of swearing during handbags without them crossing the line.

So its ok for another player to be called a f**king c**k end but not you? And he may have every reason to be angry with you....don't players deserve to be treated with the same respect as you expect?

How about if the other player ups the ante and drops the c-bomb? Or strikes out at his abuser?

So its ok for another player to be called a f**king c**k end but not you? And he may have every reason to be angry with you....don't players deserve to be treated with the same respect as you expect?

How about if the other player ups the ante and drops the c-bomb? Or strikes out at his abuser?

Did my last post not end with 'Not saying it's ok or right, but"?

I expect players to speak to me in the same way I speak to them, I also expect they will be calling each other names I don't expect them to call me. That's life.

Pad foot - Imagine you're feeling adventurous so decide to go out for a sherry on a Sunday afternoon wth your stamp collecting mate(s).

After a couple of strong sherry's an argument breaks out about who owns the first edition penny black stamp. It gets a bit lairy and the police come over and watch what's going on.

In the heat of the moment after your mates' sherry has gone to his head he calls you a f***ing c*ckend.

What do the police do?

He then turns around and calls the police officer the same.

Do you not expect a different reaction from the police officer the second time as he says it to him?

As usual your nonsense of 'one size fits all' doesn't, errr, fit.

You didn't answer the whole question......

How do you know that the player didn't feel every bit as offended, insulted or abused as you would if the same comment was aimed at you?

You already know that you're in the wrong....as your previous answer suggested you know "its not right".....so....if you know "its not right"...why do it?

You didn't answer the whole question......

How do you know that the player didn't feel every bit as offended, insulted or abused as you would if the same comment was aimed at you?

You already know that you're in the wrong....as your previous answer suggested you know "its not right".....so....if you know "its not right"...why do it?

And you didn't answer mine about the police officer.

The player might be, but I'm there to referee, not counsel his emotional wellbeing if his feelings are hurt following an altercation with an opposition player.

You could say the same about any type of verbal altercation of any sort, including those not including any bad language.

You saying I should send them off as well?

If the player called you a f***ing c**k end.....would you be walking them?

Meh apples and oranges for me.

Players expect to get sent off for saying such things to referees. Both sets of players (and everyone else around the pitch) don't expect to get sent off when they say it to each other (if it's what is in op of course). You can say it's the same, I say it's not. Feel free to say weak refereeing, I call it doing my job properly and not being an over officious rule book ref with no empathy for the game. :)

So, how about you answer the original question anyway, do you often have games which end up 7 vs 7?

Last edited:
Going off at a slight tangent, if two players are having a bit of verbal, but you don't think it warrants a red, could you caution them for adopting an aggresive attitude?

Going off at a slight tangent, if two players are having a bit of verbal, but you don't think it warrants a red, could you caution them for adopting an aggresive attitude?

Very sketchy.....depends on exactly what was being said, tone, volume, etc etc.....

Any normal person would in that situation if you think it's justified.

Other that just send them off ;):hmmm:

Very sketchy.....depends on exactly what was being said, tone, volume, etc etc.....

It never occured to me before I read this thread.

I guess you could sell it if they're proper going for it but stopping just short of physical contact.

Edit to add: I'm think along the line of where the players are being restrained/held back by their teams mates etc, not just telling ech other to f**k off.

So you'd send a player off if he called an opponent a cheat after diving?

In a county where I see refs being told to "f**ck off" a hundred times a game I almost consider it unfair for me to start sending off players for calling each other "c*nts".
One battle at a time. When dissent is under control (so, never), I'll consider trying to erase the word "c**t" from my matches.

Last edited:
There are categories of swearing and c*ck end (which is used in OP) isn't anywhere near the other c word (which isn't @PinnerPaul :) ) in severity.

I call shenanigans on anyone saying red for this type of offence, you would be sending off 6-7 players a game, maybe more :)

I think you miss my point SM. I'm not saying I would send off for this phrase or that phrase.

My point was that a referee doesn't HAVE to be "offended" to dismiss for OFFINABUS.

Some seem to be using that as the sole criteria, there are two other criteria, you can apply and IF so minded can issue a red card if any one of the three is met. Of course most dissent could be literally said to be "abusive" and no I don't look to send off for "routine" dissent.

I've never sent anybody off for offinabus in the 4 years I've been refereeing. The reason for this is that I've never found anything I've heard on a football pitch insulting etc enough to make a potentially match-changing decision based on it. As with all things, when it makes me feel in my gut that the guy needs to walk - he will. :)

I've never sent anybody off for offinabus in the 4 years I've been refereeing. The reason for this is that I've never found anything I've heard on a football pitch insulting etc enough to make a potentially match-changing decision based on it. As with all things, when it makes me feel in my gut that the guy needs to walk - he will. :)

You either referee in the best behaved leagues in exsistence or you are LWR with regards to OFFINABUS!

Im in the "never offended" camp, I hear all sorts in every single game and if I get out the big red one they'd be no players left.

However, I am FAR less tolerant in youth matches, and have sent off kids for saying the same thing that on a Sat open age game wouldn't even raise an eyelid. Now, where's my popcorn?....

Im in the "never offended" camp, I hear all sorts in every single game and if I get out the big red one they'd be no players left.

However, I am FAR less tolerant in youth matches, and have sent off kids for saying the same thing that on a Sat open age game wouldn't even raise an eyelid. Now, where's my popcorn?....

You're a brave man admitting that.

Of course we should apply the LOTG consistently regardless of age or ability of the players. However, I think a tougher stance in youth leagues could be beneficial in the long run.

If they get used to the idea that sort of language is unacceptable, or at least expect to get a card (of whatever colour) then perhaps that attitude will filter through if/when they make the move to open age.

Of course seeing dissent/offinabus being dealt with correctly on match of the day would also help, but I doubt we'll ever see that.

You either referee in the best behaved leagues in exsistence or you are LWR with regards to OFFINABUS!

I do have to say Padders me old son, that the general behaviour and conduct of the players in the league in which I operate is normally quite good-natured, pragmatic and often, a pleasure to referee. Maybe I'm just lucky? Maybe I'm just deaf? Who knows? I read some of the horror stories on here about dissent and player behaviour and consider myself in a far more gentlemanly part of the country. Deal with it mate. It is ever thus..... ;) :)

I'm less tolerant in youth matches in other areas too - dissent, aggression, deliberately unposrting acts.

Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: Kes
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back