A&H

What would you do??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoofItYouDonkey

RefChat Addict
Level 6 Referee
Two players on opposite sides square up to each other one shouts at the other: "You're a f***ing c**k-end, mate".
Would you send him off for OFINABUS??
Thoughts??

The Referee Store
I would. It is abusive language. The fact he said "****ing" emphasises the point he is making and makes it worse IMO

There are only a couple of scenarios (rightly or wrongly) which would compel me to consider a straight red for OFFINABUS.
The use of the C word (and I don't mean "cheat").
Anything racist/homophobic etc.

Outside of that, I can't think of any other "language" or gesture that would have me reaching for the red card. :cool:

Have to agree with the above in general.

I swear like an absolute f'in trouper in life (although not a peep on the pitch or any time while I'm in the black I must add before the ref police start) and it's very difficult to offend me.

Racist/homophobic/cheating or c u next Tuesday will see a straight red. Most others yellow depending on context of course.

If they're not at each other's throats first might be a different story.

There are only a couple of scenarios (rightly or wrongly) which would compel me to consider a straight red for OFFINABUS.

Outside of that, I can't think of any other "language" or gesture that would have me reaching for the red card. :cool:

Agree, though I thought maybe that was just different standards down here amongst the convicts :D

threatening somebody is also a possibility of a red card.

Up to you. A lot of people are offended by that. Depends on context.

In my book not always. As stupid as it sounds at my work we often call each other that as a term of affection. Don't ask why but we do.

It's your call ultimately. If it's completely one sided and aggressive in nature then probably so. Jokey or 50/50 perhaps yellow.

You find your own way in time.

the word cheat directed at a match official should always be a red card

After booking a player for calling one of my decisions "retarded" on Sat, at half time I quietly suggested he didn't use that particular word because some referees might take greater offence, and I might take greater offence.

I sent a player off earlier in the season for calling another player who he had just chopped down a "****ing poof". I don't think he was being intentionally homophobic, but his challenge, aggressive tone and choice of words added up to a red for me.

I tend to tell players to curb their language as much as anything to help match control, it's easy to escalate.

While I appreciate you as the referee isn't offended by some of the language you may hear surely, it's not just about you? As the OP states this is an insult said between two players. The thought of the ref shouldn't be "pah, I'm not insulted by that" but more like "is that player insulted by/offended by/abused by that statement". Ditto with your assistants, the coaching staff and maybe a spectator.

Here we go again.....another thread full of referees finding excuses not to do their very simple job properly....'I wasn't offended so it isn't a red card'.....'my tolerance level is....' Blah blah whatever.

If someone is swearing and being abusive you have 2 options....crawl into your shell and pretend you didn't hear it, or grow a pair, do the job properly and send them off.

For the hard of understanding, there is a difference between dissent and OFFINABUS.....before someone tries to muddy the waters.

Here we go again.....another thread full of referees finding excuses not to do their very simple job properly....'I wasn't offended so it isn't a red card'.....'my tolerance level is....' Blah blah whatever.

If someone is swearing and being abusive you have 2 options....crawl into your shell and pretend you didn't hear it, or grow a pair, do the job properly and send them off.

For the hard of understanding, there is a difference between dissent and OFFINABUS.....before someone tries to muddy the waters.

Have to agree - and anyway isn't it "Offensive, Insulting OR abusive" - meaning if its any one of the three its a red card - if you're not offended fine but if someone calls you or anyone else the c word how is is not insulting and abusive?????

I should start by saying that my personal tolerance level for OFFINABUS is pretty low. I've sent two off for it this season, one for (loudly) calling an opposition player an effing fat c**t and one for calling a CAR an effing cheat.

That said, I WILL work off MY tolerance level not anyone else's. We all know that there are people out there in the world who would be offended by the injudicious use of phrases like Jesus Christ, B***ocks and even Damn .. but I'm not going to be sending players off for using them. However if a referee was genuinely offended by them he'd have every right to do so (though obviously he'd be making a massive rod for his own back). Until or unless someone clearly defines for all referees what exactly constitutes OFFINABUS, I see no other option for referees but to decide on their own tolerance level and then stick to it consistently ..

There are categories of swearing and c*ck end (which is used in OP) isn't anywhere near the other c word (which isn't @PinnerPaul :) ) in severity.

I call shenanigans on anyone saying red for this type of offence, you would be sending off 6-7 players a game, maybe more :)

There are categories of swearing and c*ck end (which is used in OP) isn't anywhere near the other c word (which isn't @PinnerPaul :) ) in severity.

I call shenanigans on anyone saying red for this type of offence, you would be sending off 6-7 players a game, maybe more :)

Yep. A sense of proportion is needed. :)

If the player called you a f***ing c**k end.....would you be walking them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back