A&H

what would you do?

Some interesting replies.

At a centre restart, if a player is not in his own half, receives the ball and lobs the keeper from the hw line, would you disallow it?

I think my comment of 'i would do it again' was taken a bit out of context.

I have always pinged it when the goalkeeper passes the ball two yards to a defender. Yes, they accept it because, it is a retake and nothing is at stake.

The goal obviously makes it more difficult to ping it.

It is a once in a career hypothetical incident and needs a bit more situational awareness and empathy.

The Referee Store
can we please now move on to the more serious question of how you 'ping' a whistle :)

great question about the centre restart / goal

I think my comment of, "I would do it again, even if an assessor was there" was taken a bit out of context.

Can you explain that please?
I have always blown my whistle when the goalkeeper passes the ball two yards to a defender.

Except if a goal is scored.

What would you do if a free kick in the penalty area was played straight to a striker who was then brought down by the keeper as he was about to score? What would you have done on Saturday if the incident had resulted in a deflection behind rather than a goal?
They accept it because it is a retake and nothing is at stake. The goal obviously makes it more difficult to call it.

Not at all. It's a fairly straightforward call. It's a Law, just like the one that says a goal kick must leave the area. It's not even that you're disallowing a goal, because the ball never made it into play. What you're actually disallowing is the free kick.
It is a once in a career hypothetical incident and needs a bit more situational awareness and empathy.

I thought you said this actually happened? How come it's now "hypothetical"?

Also, it may not be a once in a career incident.

What do you mean by "it needs a bit more situational awareness and empathy"?
At a centre restart, if a player is not in his own half, receives the ball and lobs the keeper from the halfway line, would you disallow it?

As before, it's not about "disallowing a goal". If it's a problem - ie, he's several yards in the opponent's half - then the call should be made before the ball is anywhere near the opposition goal. Probably before the kick-off has even been taken. I guess it's about refereeing proactively, rather than retroactively.

Last edited:
Fair points.

It was once in a career for me, hypothetical for you, unless anyone has had this or a similar incident.

The I would do it again wording was badly put by me, but I don't regret the call I made, as I felt it was common sense in that situation. (if it hadve been deflected, I think I would have said corner, if the keeper brought him down, I think I would have said penalty and rc? Don't know, its hypothetical)

If you are able to apply the laws with no situational awareness, you are a far better ref than me :)

Fair points.

It was once in a career for me, hypothetical for you, unless anyone has had this or a similar incident.

The I would do it again wording was badly put by me, but I don't regret the call I made, as I felt it was common sense in that situation. (if it hadve been deflected, I think I would have said corner, if the keeper brought him down, I think I would have said penalty and rc? Don't know, its hypothetical)

If you are able to apply the laws with no situational awareness, you are a far better ref than me :)

Very good point there, in the heat of the game you made the call you did. This isn't a dig at anyone but, when seeing messages on this forum we can sit and think about it before typing a response.

Fair points.

Very well said. :)

So, to ask the question burning on everybody's lips...would you do it again? ;)

Last edited:
Back