A&H

what would you do?

simonwref

Level 6 Referee
First post, so hello fellow refs.

This happened on Saturday....

I awarded a free kick on the edge of the 6 yard box, for pushing at a corner.
The players stroll out of the box.
The goalkeeper decides to take it quickly, miskicks it and it hits one of his defender on the back. The defender is standing close to the penalty spot (inside his 18 yard box), the ball ricochets to an attacker who scores.

Before I tell you what happens next, discuss this incident....

The Referee Store
True, and I knew this,
However, players do not.
I have pinged it on several occasions, usually for a short pass to a defender and I order it to be retaken.
They always argue 'its a free kick, not a goal kick', because it is an insignificant incident, they accept it and move on. I show them the rule book at the end of the game to prove I was right!

Back to last Saturday,
The 'goal' was scored by the home team in a local derby, about 100 home fans cheering.
The goalkeeper holds his head in his hands, the defender berates him. Not one player complains or tells me that it should not be a goal.

So, what would you do?

True, and I knew this,
However, players do not.
I have pinged it on several occasions, usually for a short pass to a defender and I order it to be retaken.
They always argue 'its a free kick, not a goal kick', because it is an insignificant incident, they accept it and move on. I show them the rule book at the end of the game to prove I was right!

Back to last Saturday,
The 'goal' was scored by the home team in a local derby, about 100 home fans cheering.
The goalkeeper holds his head in his hands, the defender berates him. Not one player complains or tells me that it should not be a goal.

So, what would you do?
Still disallow the goal and inform the keeper that he's got away with one. Match control would probably need scoring captain called in so you can explain!

True, and I knew this,
However, players do not.

Back to last Saturday,

So, what would you do?

A lesser known rule is just as important as the most fundamental rules in the game. We have a duty to enforce each and every rule so therefore disallow the goal and retake. If the crowd go mental it should not affect your performance as you would be 100% confident you were correct in your decision. If it helps and it is before half-time offer to prove to the home side the rule in question. Once one person is told the information would soon be relayed and spread to all at the game.

Out of interest, what did you do?

I ignored the voice in my head saying 'disallow it, disallow it' the goal stood.
It was on 50 minutes.
I discussed it with my assistants at the end of the game, who both had no idea about that rule (really!)

Thanx and seems a busy and knowledgeable forum.

I think it is easy to say 'apply the law' but it is more about the situation and,whether you are brave enough to apply it.

A wider discussion point is:
Are there occasions when common sense is more important than the laws, for example when mike Jones dissallowed the goal scored by Norwich after the ball had been put out of play for an injury, but Leroy fer played on instead of passing it back to the keeper. Completely wrong in law, but completely right.

Thanx and seems a busy and knowledgeable forum.

I think it is easy to say 'apply the law' but it is more about the situation and,whether you are brave enough to apply it.

A wider discussion point is:
Are there occasions when common sense is more important than the laws, for example when mike Jones dissallowed the goal scored by Norwich after the ball had been put out of play for an injury, but Leroy fer played on instead of passing it back to the keeper. Completely wrong in law, but completely right.

I have to say this is a rule that does take a certain depth of knowledge of the Laws of the Game to be made aware of it and is certainly not a law that I or an assessor would perhaps expect a Level 8, 7 or 6 to know. So congratulations for having the knowledge! I personally was only made aware of the Law earlier this season when running the line in a supply league game (I have operated as a 6 too this season but have just been informed of my double promotion to 4). When revising for the LOTG exam it did again surface and if I remember correctly did come up in the actual exam!

However if you know the Law, you MUST enforce it! It does a disservice to the profession! We all make mistakes and I'm sure you'll put your hands up and say you've made one here. Such an error could make the difference between a 68 and a 75 on an assessment!

In terms of Mike Jones, he did not disallow the goal out of common sense and sportsmanship but because he did not blow his whistle for the start of play. I'm sure we all know this is Mike Jones trying to find some way to diffuse the situation and restore justice but where such incidents occur there must be a legitimate reason for disallowing the goal not just because it seems the right thing to do!

It all depends on where the match is, I wouldn't fancy telling the 100 fans at bransholme that their team's goal won't count. I'd never be seen again :p
In all seriousness you should've disallowed the goal and taken the time to explain to both captains why you were doing it. Just as a side law, the attacker isn't allowed in the penalty area for a free kick/ goal kick inside it anyway, but that's probably a far lesser known law :)

As for the Mike Jones incident @Pierluigi he had waved play to restart anyway so it was down to pure common sense :)

It all depends on where the match is, I wouldn't fancy telling the 100 fans at bransholme that their team's goal won't count. I'd never be seen again :p
In all seriousness you should've disallowed the goal and taken the time to explain to both captains why you were doing it. Just as a side law, the attacker isn't allowed in the penalty area for a free kick/ goal kick inside it anyway, but that's probably a far lesser known law :)

As for the Mike Jones incident @Pierluigi he had waved play to restart anyway so it was down to pure common sense :)

If you look at the interviews afterwards, you'll realise I am right.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...e-held-by-fellow-strugglers-Cardiff-City.html

Care to read page 43 of the magic book

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footballdevelopment/refereeing/81/42/36/log2013en_neutral.pdf

pg 41 in this version!! Maybe take some time to research before jumping to conclusions Haywain!

My bad - though i wasn't disputing page 41 or 43 but misremembering this bit in the interpretation

'If, when a free kick is taken by the defending team from inside its own penalty
area, one or more opponents remain inside the penalty area because the
defender decides to take the kick quickly and the opponents did not have time
to leave the penalty area, the referee must allow play to continue.'

Indeed, Simon. I was confusing it with the free kick taken quickly outside the box where opponent less than ten yards away intercepts it and play continues

True, and I knew this,
However, players do not.

Back to last Saturday,

So, what would you do?

I would never take the easy option just because you thought you were going to get a hard time. Were there to uphold the laws of the game, not side with teams who influence by bullying, large crowds, etc. Not on my high horse, but we don't do it to win popularity prizes, although sometimes I do wonder why we do it :)

Back