A&H

Junior/Youth What have I become, sending off an 11 year old!

The Referee Store
Just about everything you've suggested here could be considered child abuse.....showing a red card has never, to my knowledge, been seen as child abuse

Lol.

I am disappointed that you've seen it necessary to quote me out of context to make this point though.

@micky2001 it obviously depends on th context, as ever with refereeing. If it's said with real venom then probably a red simply because of the use of the blind part. I was taught at our referee training questioning a refs eye sight is pretty serious. At the end of the day I've got a lot of experience with kids these age, and not just refereeing and if they aren't being taught to respect authority from a young age they'll just get worse getting older.

As has been said before, there are know absolutes for OFFINABUS except the obvious racist or TV remarks.

Its down to the ref and if @DaveMac found it OFF IN or ABUS then good call. Well done.

That's incredibly harsh. Yellow at most IMO, with a bit of a blocking to boot. OFFINABUS might be up to the individual, but I'm still questioning of it in this case.

OFFINABUS is clearly subjective to the referee, but I just find it surprising that being called 'crap' (in terms of eye sight) by an 11 year old is at all offensive?

One point guys, I think davemac even from his OP accepts he was a little harsh. Let's stop putting the boot into him.

Supportive community of referees. :)

One point guys, I think davemac even from his OP accepts he was a little harsh. Let's stop putting the boot into him.

Supportive community of referees. :)

Its cool, I'm happy with the decision. Needless to say I'm sure I'd have been hung out to dry by everyone on here had I said I let an 11 year old get away with saying the same thing by just having a word with him! The wonderful world of refchat where everyone likes to point out your wrong ;)

'You've got crap eye sight ref'
I don't see OFFINABUS in this. It's a yellow, definitely, but I just don't see a red card here.

My youngest red card is U/11, and I've given a few at that age - but that's in Futsal, and at the nationals, and they've all been very clear cut (DOGSO, or 2 yellows). Outdoors, I've given a few at U/12, don't think I've had U/11. U/12 has been for a range of offences.

I'm far less tolerant of dissent, aggression and deliberately unsporting behaviour at younger ages than older ages - but I guess my philosophy on cards is that they shouldn't just be for match control only. A yellow card sends a message that a stern word can't - particularly if it's the sort of player who knows he can get away with a lot. And some young players are like that, and they start to learn that a word is essentially meaningless. But a card? That's scary - I mean, who gets a card at this age?

Back