The Ref Stop

What flag signal to make.

And that where some make problems for themselves - trying to be too clever. The basic process has stood the test of time for a reason - because it’s very good and comms/buzzer flags are tools to assist, not change.

The Ref Stop
I disagree. I don't think there is value in spending the pre match talking about flag signals that in reality the AR should know. There are far more important variable things that a referee should cover in their pre-match, not flag signals that will never change and are very unlikely to come up anyway. If you went to the nth degree covering all of that, not only would your pre-match be very long, it would also lose it's impact.
It's one short additional sentence, to cover the most important of signals, and referees have individual preferences re its use. Most importantly, the instruction to be seen to be at the corner flagpost when players look across, and to agree a signal - this forum has already produced several alternatives.

It's one short additional sentence, to cover the most important of signals, and referees have individual preferences re its use. Most importantly, the instruction to be seen to be at the corner flagpost when players look across, and to agree a signal - this forum has already produced several alternatives.
Again, I disagree. Firstly I don’t think it’s ’the most important of signals’. I understand why you say it is as it has the most important meaning, but the most important signal my AR can give is offside. That’s the one they’re gonna use in 99% of matches multiple times.
I’ve been in football 7 years and I’m yet to signal a goal as an AR.
In the extremely unlikely event that the AR needs to signal a goal that hasn’t obviously crossed the line to everyone else, and the even more unlikely event that they don’t know how to clearly signal it, then I would rather take my chances that that situation looks messy, but we still end up with the right decision, because let’s face it, the AR will tell me or be screaming worst case scenario, than waste 20 seconds of extra prematch time every week telling people who know how to signal it, how to signal a goal.

If you want your ARs to actually be engaged during the pre match, I’d advise not treating them like idiots, but that’s just my opinion.

As I say, there are things that differ from ref to ref which is what the pre match should cover (I.e. what I would want my AR to do in the eventuality of a player in an offside position, not interfering with play but possibly in the line of sight of the goalkeeper as a shot goes in). Stuff that isn’t in law, isn’t universal.

Again, I disagree. Firstly I don’t think it’s ’the most important of signals’. I understand why you say it is as it has the most important meaning, but the most important signal my AR can give is offside. That’s the one they’re gonna use in 99% of matches multiple times.
I’ve been in football 7 years and I’m yet to signal a goal as an AR.
In the extremely unlikely event that the AR needs to signal a goal that hasn’t obviously crossed the line to everyone else, and the even more unlikely event that they don’t know how to clearly signal it, then I would rather take my chances that that situation looks messy, but we still end up with the right decision, because let’s face it, the AR will tell me or be screaming worst case scenario, than waste 20 seconds of extra prematch time every week telling people who know how to signal it, how to signal a goal.

If you want your ARs to actually be engaged during the pre match, I’d advise not treating them like idiots, but that’s just my opinion.

As I say, there are things that differ from ref to ref which is what the pre match should cover (I.e. what I would want my AR to do in the eventuality of a player in an offside position, not interfering with play but possibly in the line of sight of the goalkeeper as a shot goes in). Stuff that isn’t in law, isn’t universal.
Agree to an extent, in 25 years of refereeing I've only had two occasions where I've had to signal ball over line. But I do think it is important there is some level of instruction, specifically around telling the AR to wait by the corner flag until everyone has seen him signalling the goal. The last thing you need is for an AR to signal a goal then have run 10 metres up the touchline by the time people look at him, that is going to kill any credibility of the decision.

I'm confident it was on this forum (but could have been a dev day) where someone said at halftime their assistant said he seen the ball cross the line but didn't know how to tell the ref. So just left it.

I'm confident it was on this forum (but could have been a dev day) where someone said at halftime their assistant said he seen the ball cross the line but didn't know how to tell the ref. So just left it.
Maybe I'm being abit dismissive by saying it doesn't need to be in a pre-match, but I would hope / expect that this is a very inexperienced referee, presumably level 7. Obviously a pre-match is tailored to suit the experience level of those you're working with, but I wouldn't expect to need to cover it in my pre-match when I've got 2 level 4s running the line to me. Even if the signal isn't 100% correct I'd expect that they would give me some sort of signal

Back