A&H

What an idiot....

Matthew

RefChat Addict
If only I'd been recording the game.

U18 match yesterday morning that finished 6-1 to the home side. Totally one sided game with a couple of cautions for the away side; one for dissent and the other for kicking the ball away.

At the end of the game, the manager, whilst walking past me, said "I've had a word with them, you won't be sending the yellows in will you ref?". Shocked, I took a second before obviously telling him that I would be doing. What happened next made my day; akin to a small child after being told to go to bed, he let out a loud huff before throwing his arms up and walking off in a sulk.

I had to stop myself laughing at the time, but I had a good laugh after getting in the car. It made my day! :D

The Referee Store
Tut tut

If a manager asks me not to send cards in then I won't as long as I think the other is happy to as well

*runs and watches from the bushes*

Satire aside, I was shocked that when I played youth football years ago, I would say around 90% of my cards never got put in as my gaffer would always ask referee not to.

In fact I had 30 yellows and 3 reds in 4 years between U15-18 (still kept match records then as a player as I do a ref!) And I only recall getting two fines. And none of them were for the reds!

Last weeks ref again

Yesteryears ref? ;)

Managers try it on, do what you did - stick to your guns.

When I started I didn't. Foolishly believing these managers would be taking these players to task and turning the silly boys into men. Alas I've long since realised this is no where near the case. Youth football mentality is 99% win at all costs and the manager is looking out for their own backs. So the only way these lads will learn is by getting that fine and possible bans. If a player wants to spend the season mouthing off or delaying the restart then the only way they'll stop is if they keep getting fines.

"I've had a word with them, you won't be sending the yellows in will you ref?"

"Yes coach I wil be. And your misconduct report will now be joining them. (pause 2 3 4) Pint?"

I must say when I played regularly I only ever had a handful of fines despite a shameful number of cautions, although as far as I know nobody asked for them not to be put in.

I knew at the time it made me worse and even more likely to gob off, but I realise the true effect even more so now.

I love the managers comment 'I've had a word with them' - because that made so much difference last time eh?

Control your players and you won't have to leave it to the cards to do it for you.

A Manager has said to me not to "to save me the waste of time of completing' them forms, innit"

But considering that my caution yesterday took me all of 27 seconds after turning my laptop on...!

Reactions: ELP
What a thoughtful guy.

Just think of what you could've done with those 27 seconds though?

I must admit I loved the 'I've had a word' comment; probably something along the lines of "don't get caught next time" :D

Surprised to hear how many of you appear to have got away with bookings, although I experienced the same with the team I used to coach. Very odd and no excuse for it as far as I'm concerned.

The league I used to play in up until last season, won't name names here but basically your bog standard sunday league football in Newcastle, from my experience cards were very rarely submitted. That was certainly the case in the bottom couple of divisions. I remember wondering what was the point really, but seeing as I had been on the receiving end of a yellow which was never heard of again I didn't really complain too much at the time.

These days I wouldn't dream of not submitting. Look after yourself I say, if someone's stupid enough to get themselves cautioned or sent off then so be it.

You lucky SOBs!!

Got sent off 4 times between U11-U12, 2 SFP and 2 DOGSO. 11 cautions too, not one ever was let go!! Must be a Kent thing :(

Not a single caution. Ever.

Played rugby and football as a youth so talking to (or abusing) the ref was a major no no.

Of my cautions only one was ever for a dissent... an eleven year old me saying "really ref?" in a sarcastic tone after he gave the third penalty against us in the game, the second wrong penalty decision too. Boy did I feel mad at a yellow for "really ref?". Haha

Had an email from one of our league secs yesterday saying that they had reported three refs to County in the last few weeks for not submitting cautions.

"I've had a word with them, you won't be sending the yellows in will you ref?"

"Yes coach I wil be. And your misconduct report will now be joining them. (pause 2 3 4) Pint?"
Would be genuinely interested to know how many of the good folk on here would actually put through a misconduct report when coaches / players ask for cards not to be put through? I've always put cards through but will admit (in a somewhat embarassed fashion) that I've reported none of the twenty or so times that this request has been made of me ......

N
Would be genuinely interested to know how many of the good folk on here would actually put through a misconduct report when coaches / players ask for cards not to be put through? I've always put cards through but will admit (in a somewhat embarassed fashion) that I've reported none of the twenty or so times that this request has been made of me ......

I've not been asked quite as many times (About half a dozen times in 12 years) and have never reported anyone.

Not sure on what basis you WOULD report?

What are they guilty of - asking a question?

If said in a threatening or aggressive way, then you could I suppose, but the actual act of asking I can't see being called "Misconduct"

Are they not asking you to cheat?

If someone calls me a cheat, asks me to be biased then it is the same in my books. Same if someone asks me if I can make it "X v 0 as I've got a fiver on it".

Do one you low life!

I (we) don't make anything from YC/RC so why should it make us feel any better. Sure if we got £2 a yellow and £5 a red we'd sure as heck be putting them in!

The human mind is a mysterious thing; we do things because of a perceved end benefit whereas in the vast majority of cases there are none. say you give 3 YC in a game, 2 to oen team and one to the other. Team with 2 asks you not to send in as the guys are having a tough time and they'er expensive. Do you stop those two but put the one other through? You;ve helped the two guys who may or may not be going through tough times, but what do you get back? are they going to thank you, they going to behave better the next game or give you a better ref score?

who can say, but YOU feel better about potentially helping someone out. get caught and the league will kick your ass for months, that's for sure.

Same goes when people are waiting to cross the road. a pretty girl looks at you as you approach, smiles and waves her hair, puts her hand half way up and sort of does some shambolick impression of a wave, and you let her cross, slowing down and maybe even taking a blow of a horn for your sudden braking in the middle of the road. 300m later mr builder guy has a handful of bacon butties and 5 polystyrene cups of tea stacked and you see him tottering accross but you put your foot down to make him hurry .....

What's the girl done for you except make you feel like you've been noticed.

Bloomin poor excuse for attention grabbing and personal satisfaction.

And next time it's "oh it's the ref that don't put cards in, s go for it an i'll speak to him after". "ere ref, those reds you gave, same as last time is it - you know, between you, me and the goal posts yeah? cheers. what? No, well, ya know, we're a bit short on your fee this week mate but maybe we can come to something, what d'ya think eh ref?"

I've heard that too @Cheshire Ref and apparently the CFA are finding ever ingenious ways of finding these things out.....

Why you would want to is beyond me. The hard work is done and think how much harder it makes it for 'Next weeks' ref'

Back