A&H

West Riding

WARef

Level 5 Referee
Hi There,

I am an Australian Official that has recently emigrated back to the United Kingdom. Back in Australia, I was refereeing the National Premier Leagues 18s (2nd Tier) and Western Australia State League Reserves (3rd Tier) and assistant refereeing the National Premier Leagues 1st Team. I was a Level 2 Theory Referee, (moving back before I could complete the practical assessment). I have recently received my English Accreditation back from West Riding FA and it seems I will be placed as a Level 6 Official. What sort of matches can I expect to be refereeing and assistant refereeing as a Level 6? I doubt it would be at the same standard as back in Australia but I have struggled to find any sort of information that correlates levels to appointments. Also, how does one go about promotion through the levels in England.

Thanks very much :)

The Referee Store
Thanks for the information Brian :) I was informed that I am unable to apply for promotion to Level 5 this year, as it is my first year as a Level 6. Is this the procedure for each level, or are there exceptions to this rule?

Cheers

Your first year you cant apply as you need to have completed 20 games in the season before you apply for promotion. If you get you6-5 in season 2017-18 then you'd be abelt o look at 5-4 in 2018-19.

So it's not season ant 6, go 6 to 5, season at 5, go 5 to 4 etc, just the first one.

in the UK There are a lot of (that I have met in London - mostly) East European refs that have been at national level, top level assistants, etc who have come over and been reassigned as L5, 6 or even 7, when they would have been the equivillant of 1, 2 or 3 - but that's to do with the actual standards of football being played. Level 1 in Faero Islands is the same as Level 5 / 4 in the UK .....

What type of football - Local parks, local teams, no assistants, non league. May pick up a coupe of county cup games or a FA cup line if lucky.

Thanks for the information Brian :) I was informed that I am unable to apply for promotion to Level 5 this year, as it is my first year as a Level 6. Is this the procedure for each level, or are there exceptions to this rule?

Cheers
You'll need to get in 20 games (open age middle, not assistant) before you can apply for promotion. Once achieved you can apply for the next marking season which is March to February. At level 6 you may get some County Cup early rounds, you won't be considered for FA Cup duty for the 2016-17 season. They are usually reserved for experienced level 5 referees and those seeking promotion to Level 4, in my previous experience in our County.

Where abouts in West Yorkshire you based?

We can point you in direction of a Referee Association group as well

You'll need to get in 20 games (open age middle, not assistant) before you can apply for promotion. Once achieved you can apply for the next marking season which is March to February. At level 6 you may get some County Cup early rounds, you won't be considered for FA Cup duty for the 2016-17 season. They are usually reserved for experienced level 5 referees and those seeking promotion to Level 4, in my previous experience in our County.

Had an FA cup line each season - L7 and 2 seasons at L6..... Hoping this year will be 4 out of 4 ;)

Had an FA cup line each season - L7 and 2 seasons at L6..... Hoping this year will be 4 out of 4 ;)
If you read my post properly I clearly stated in my County (which happens to be the County about which the OP was enquiring) and in my experience. I can't speak for other Counties.

Last edited:
Get down to South Yorkshire, home of a World Cup ref, and one particular road in the west of Sheffield with a current EPL select group referee and an old has been... He often pops round for a chat and a bit of advice! :)

Get down to South Yorkshire, home of a World Cup ref, and one particular road in the west of Sheffield with a current EPL select group referee and an old has been... He often pops round for a chat and a bit of advice! :)

My 3 years in Sheffield (as a L6) I couldn't even get a match on a Saturday.
Refereed for 3 years in the Sunday u18 league.
E-mails and letters ignored. My experience of S&H FA couldn't have been worse.

My 3 years in Sheffield (as a L6) I couldn't even get a match on a Saturday.
Refereed for 3 years in the Sunday u18 league.
E-mails and letters ignored. My experience of S&H FA couldn't have been worse.

Baffled with that really as I regulary get 3-4 offers for any Saturday morning game. ..Don't start me on S&HCFA though, we could be here all week!!!

Back