The Ref Stop

West Ham v QPR

The Ref Stop
I'd call it an understandable but incorrect decision, not a howler.

Without the benefit of VAR I can see why was given - the defender’s trailing leg takes the attacker's ankle and the point of contact is very close to the line, with momentum taking both players into the area and making the contact look like it was on the line.

However the point of contact of the foul was outside the area, and let's face it, no-one expects a foul to be given when the defender has won the ball first, unless they've done it in (at the very least) a reckless manner.
 
Not a penalty for me either but for a different reason. Contact was outside. But definitly a a foul. The only concession I am willing to make for playing the ball is downgrading it from reckless to careless.

View attachment 8881
Side discussion in another thread on the same topic. It would be a foul anywhere else in the world. In England, not sure.

For me it clearly fits the definition of at least careless but likely reckless. Playing the ball doesn't void that definition (or the responsibility of the tackler to comply with it).
 
I don't think anyone in football expects that to be given as a foul. It was a controlled tackle, he won the ball clearly and I wouldn't say it was careless, certainly not reckless. I haven't heard anyone involved in football come out and say it was a correct decision, and I'm pretty sure Pro Ref will say it was a mistake.

I can see why it was given, I don't think the referee can see the touch on the ball through Soucek's body, and that probably means he also can't see whether it was inside the area or not. The active AR had a couple of players between him and the incident so also might not have got a clear view. Positioning didn't help either, the worst place you can be for a challenge like that is directly behind it and that's exactly where Reubyn Ricardo was.
 
Almost exact same tackle (less intensity) was given just now in Arsenal v Leeds as defensvive free kick. 54th min (a min before goal)
 
Almost exact same tackle (less intensity) was given just now in Arsenal v Leeds as defensvive free kick. 54th min (a min before goal)

The game does have a pretty different standard for FKs against attackers and PK’s/close to the PA. I’d expect it called in mid-field, but surprised it’s called in the PA—especially in England. But not so sure it should be a VAR reversal once called. But the standard for that seems ever shifting.
 
Almost exact same tackle (less intensity) was given just now in Arsenal v Leeds as defensvive free kick. 54th min (a min before goal)
If it's the same one I'm thinking of he didn't get the ball, looked like he did from the broadcast angle but then clearly didn't from the replay.

But, and as @socal lurker has said, there are undoubtedly different thresholds for challenges on attackers in penalty areas than other challenges. If it had been an attacker tackling a defender and a foul given no one would have batted an eyelid, and they certainly wouldn't still be talking about it after the match, but very different when it leads to a penalty. Literally every pundit, journalist, fan, radio presenter, etc I've heard or read have described it as a mistake. Henry Winter is one of the most respected football journalists in England, and isn't one to pile onto referees, and he had this to say.

1791645955084.png
 
Back
Top