A&H

Wearing of Wedding Rings

Peter I

Level 7 Referee
At todays game I asked a player to remove his ring of which I got the usual it will not come off. I said you cannot play and thereafter the antics played out. A call was made to someone in the League by the manager who was told my decision on the pitch was final. At the very lower end of the football spectrum (Adults) what is the law of the game in this regard. If it is taped up is this acceptable? What if the ring is taped and then gloves are made. Any assistance gratefully received. The ring was removed on this occasion but after much drama by the player. I am sure I have seen Premier League players with taped up rings which does not assist our cause at grass routes.

The Referee Store
At todays game I asked a player to remove his ring of which I got the usual it will not come off. I said you cannot play and thereafter the antics played out. A call was made to someone in the League by the manager who was told my decision on the pitch was final. At the very lower end of the football spectrum (Adults) what is the law of the game in this regard. If it is taped up is this acceptable? What if the ring is taped and then gloves are made. Any assistance gratefully received. The ring was removed on this occasion but after much drama by the player. I am sure I have seen Premier League players with taped up rings which does not assist our cause at grass routes.
There are a few on here who will preach the book, but for me it depends on the level (and whether you're being assessed). This has been squabbled over many times on here before, with fantastic stories of finger dismemberment and so on, but I'm not one for 1/100000 outcomes. Like you say, a player could wear gloves and the whole thing goes away. Indeed, Premier League players are allowed to wear 'finger bands', so why should we invite hostility? Another football farce... is this subject

Guidance I got from my county FA a few years ago was that if it was below Senior Standard football (where I am Junior Adult League or Vets), then allowing wedding rings only was acceptable as long as it was taped. At this level of football the guidance is all around encouraging participation.

At grassroots Senior level or above - so getting into step 7 then it’s not allowed at all and unless it comes off, they are not playing

I'm at the very bottom of the football pyramid. I know refs that have had issues enforcing this but for me all jewellery comes off else they don't step foot on the pitch.

No jewelry, simple as.

It's not new, it's not a sudden change to the laws.

The only reason players think they can get away with it is because referees don't enforce the laws of the game.

Whether we agree with it is irrelevant, we are paid to referee matches in accordance with the laws of the game, not to pick and choose what laws we want to enforce.

I'm guilty of it too, but the very fact we all have differing opinions on something clear in law makes it so much harder for the referee that does turn up and ask for it to be removed. Women's game recently had 5/6 players lined up to walk out with various earrings and nose piercings, some taped up - "everyone has said we are allowed them taped", "they don't come out" etc. Immediately you're the bad guy because last week's ref let them do it.

No jewelry, simple as.

It's not new, it's not a sudden change to the laws.

The only reason players think they can get away with it is because referees don't enforce the laws of the game.

Whether we agree with it is irrelevant, we are paid to referee matches in accordance with the laws of the game, not to pick and choose what laws we want to enforce.

My local league actually emailed out last season due to complaints from the hospital from the number of people coming in from jewellery being caught.

I've always been strict on this rule and I always sigh when I see a player wearing a festival wristband which can only been cut off because this simply means last weeks ref didn't do their job. I do sympathise with players with wedding rings which won't come off as that isn't usually a lie, players aren't that dedicated to a ring that they wouldn't remove it for a few hours if they had to but I have prevented players from playing due to that fact, they are paying me to do a job and I have a rule book to follow as part of that. I'm surprised that some County FA's have been a bit more relaxed about the rules based on the standard of football, what difference would that make?

Has anyone ever heard the story of this in Australia?
In the 2005-06 A-League season, Damian Mori (was Australia's top goalscorer before Tim Cahill), playing for Perth Glory, was told the same thing: to take off his wedding ring. He told the referee he couldn't, and the referee didn't let him play. Cue funny footage of him trying to get his ring off (Perth started the match a player down, and Mori was substituted in the 5th minute), and he couldn't. Lucky for him it was cut off the next day, and Perth's shirt sponsor was an insurance company, and they launched a marketing campaign with him and his ring.

Using that as an analogy, it seems to be a thing where it's each case as it comes. I honestly don't see much jewellery in Australia's professional leagues, but overseas and at grassroots, I do see a lot of taped up ring fingers.
But the other thing that could be a discussion is, again using the Mori example I just brought up, could the referee just say start one of your substitutes instead? Or must they play a player down. I'm guessing it was an option and Perth just thought that he would get it off quickly.

I am sure I have seen Premier League players with taped up rings which does not assist our cause at grass routes.
I'm fairly sure what you're seeing is players who remove the ring but wear tape on their finger where the ring would be, worn to symbolise the actual ring.

Anyway, for me it's a straightforward question of player safety. Even if it's a relatively rare event (and the post from @QuaverRef suggests perhaps it isn't as rare as some might imagine) why would you take the risk of a player under your control suffering such a horrendous, life-changing injury?

This truly is a horrible injury. If you're not squeamish, try Googling "ring avulsion images." Warning: it's not for the faint of heart. In most cases (and in every case involving a footballer that I've read about) the person loses the finger. This is, as mentioned, a life-changing injury and could even sometimes be career-threatening, for someone that works with their hands.

Especially when it's something the law says that you're not supposed to allow in the first place and the downside is so massive, I can't see the point of running the risk, small though it may be.

I assume that every referee who allows someone to play while wearing jewelry would be happy to be held accountable for any injuries that occur because of that decision?

I'm fairly sure what you're seeing is players who remove the ring but wear tape on their finger where the ring would be, worn to symbolise the actual ring.

Anyway, for me it's a straightforward question of player safety. Even if it's a relatively rare event (and the post from @QuaverRef suggests perhaps it isn't as rare as some might imagine) why would you take the risk of a player under your control suffering such a horrendous, life-changing injury?

This truly is a horrible injury. If you're not squeamish, try Googling "ring avulsion images." Warning: it's not for the faint of heart. In most cases (and in every case involving a footballer that I've read about) the person loses the finger. This is, as mentioned, a life-changing injury and could even sometimes be career-threatening, for someone that works with their hands.

Especially when it's something the law says that you're not supposed to allow in the first place and the downside is so massive, I can't see the point of running the risk, small though it may be.

I'm just not buying the argument that there is no ring under the tape. I have seen a video taken in the QPR tunnel before a game and to call the kit check cursory would be under statement. I don't believe that all these top level players are witnessed taking off the ring and then taping up the finger.

Why have the wives/players suddenly decided to do this - its just not credible that they are all of a sudden, all at the same time taking the rings off. In fact on the front cover of the QPR programme there is a picture of Mark Pugh in full kit, clapping the crowd wearing a ring & its not even taped.

Just for the record I always take my two rings off - even though 1 needs soap and water to do so now and I accept just because Harry Kane et al are allowed to wear taped & untaped rings that we should allow it, but like allowing GKs to wear identical kits to the refs, things like that don't make our job any easier.

Others above my pay grade can ignore what they like, but as this element of Law isn't something we can hand wave away in a "spirit of the game" kinda way (see threads about drop balls, retakes, substitution procedure etc), but it's a player safety issue that should it ever go wrong is going to absolutely bite you, the referee, in the arse... it all comes off in my games, no exceptions. Any complaints get pointed straight to the sentence in the LOTG.

I assume that every referee who allows someone to play while wearing jewelry would be happy to be held accountable for any injuries that occur because of that decision?

That's a key point here. If a player does end up on the receiving end of a significant injury due to a piece of jewellery they were wearing and the FA ask us why we either A) Didn't tell them to remove it or B) Allowed them to put tape on it, what argument do we have?

There was a similar event locally in a U16 game. Nipper comes on as a half-time sub without shin pads. Clattered.

Who got the blame: Himself? Coach? Parent? Person who fouled him? Literally anyone else? Nope... ref's fault. Promotion over.

That's a key point here. If a player does end up on the receiving end of a significant injury due to a piece of jewellery they were wearing and the FA ask us why we either A) Didn't tell them to remove it or B) Allowed them to put tape on it, what argument do we have?
Something makes me think that "It's Sunday morning, not The Premier League" won't cut it.

There was a similar event locally in a U16 game. Nipper comes on as a half-time sub without shin pads. Clattered.

Who got the blame: Himself? Coach? Parent? Person who fouled him? Literally anyone else? Nope... ref's fault. Promotion over.
Obviously the player and coach (maybe the parents if they knew he didn't have shin pads) need to shoulder some of the blame.

But the referee is responsible for making sure people don't play unless they are wearing the correct equipment.

It doesn't take 2 minutes to check whether the teams have made changes at half time, 1 to make a note of the subs etc and 2 to do a quick kit check.

Yeah, that was my point. God forbid if something does go wrong, all that blame is heading straight towards the referee.

(Am getting adverts for wedding rings on websites or his afternoon now hehe)

I'm just not buying the argument that there is no ring under the tape. I have seen a video taken in the QPR tunnel before a game and to call the kit check cursory would be under statement. I don't believe that all these top level players are witnessed taking off the ring and then taping up the finger.

Why have the wives/players suddenly decided to do this - its just not credible that they are all of a sudden, all at the same time taking the rings off. In fact on the front cover of the QPR programme there is a picture of Mark Pugh in full kit, clapping the crowd wearing a ring & its not even taped.

Just for the record I always take my two rings off - even though 1 needs soap and water to do so now and I accept just because Harry Kane et al are allowed to wear taped & untaped rings that we should allow it, but like allowing GKs to wear identical kits to the refs, things like that don't make our job any easier.

Harry Kane, who this is usually aimed at, took off the band over his finger last week live on camera at the end of the game and there was nothing under there. As I've said before, I've seen this at senior games when I've been AR and I always did a touch check when I saw this and never found anything under the tape or band.

Harry Kane, who this is usually aimed at, took off the band over his finger last week live on camera at the end of the game and there was nothing under there. As I've said before, I've seen this at senior games when I've been AR and I always did a touch check when I saw this and never found anything under the tape or band.

Aww, c'mon, don't let facts get in the way of a conspiracy theory . . . .

Back