A&H

Watch recommendation

The Referee Store
In terms of the actual caution, I'm 100% confident that write-on cards when you can just jot down a shirt number, time and caution code is the best. There's a reason that's what they do in the PL - it's quick, easy, almost impossible to screw up and looks smart/professional.

Unfortunately, at our level, that's frowned upon, not always actually possible and does come with the side issue I mention above about how to record the score/subs and what to do if you need to take supplementary notes. So yeah, in reality I'm with you - I have a few different methods I can use and basically just decide what feels right on the day.
I insist on having all participants names in my notebook before entering the FOP
So whilst I don't use write-on cards, I'm not scribbling names I can't spell whilst dishing out cards. Confirm number, name, time, code... then allow the player to speak... a quick word from me... and hopefully the card comes out (last) before they've turned their back on me

Spelling lessons from someone who might not be feeling too amorous, is not gonna happen. If I needed to, I'll scribble what I hear and confirm spellings with someone else (or from team sheets) afterwards. But that's only on the rare occasion my notebook is not populated beforehand

The critical feature for me is a buzz every few seconds when I've stopped the clock because I am forever forgetting to restart it. That watch doesn't have it.
No one I know uses this feature.
But nice one!

In grassroots games - mental note to self of stoppages.
In serious games with comms - AR2 calls the running total of all stoppages.
The killer feature for me is setting the Spinsto to 3 halves so the time carries on running after 90.
The prob with using the stoppages feature is what happens if you don't want to blow - you don't know the time anymore.;)

But nice one!

The killer feature for me is setting the Spinsto to 3 halves so the time carries on running after 90.
The prob with using the stoppages feature is what happens if you don't want to blow - you don't know the time anymore.;)

Its always good to hear various ways of doing things, it provokes thought if nothing else
AR2 calling stoppages is new/alien to me.
If am ref, and am thinking 3, yet the AR says 5, do we go 5?
split it and go 4?
stick to the 3 as ref we consider suitable, and at the same time nullifying the AR2 input?
At best, with comms, I can see me going, 'guys am thinking 3, any thoughts?'

but def nothing more, even with a 4th, its my call

But nice one!

I haven't used the Spintso, but on the refwatch app, it will vibrate (I think you can make it beep, but why?) at full time and continue running after full time. And it vibrates every 30 seconds once you have passed full time. (It does that in the first half, too, so it will run to, say, 47 minutes or how ever long it takes, then you stop to time half time, and when you start the second half it restarts at 45.)

(While I mostly just mentally add on for delays, I use the stoppage feature if I call a coach onto the field for an injury so I don't have to think about how long it takes--and I love the vibration that means I can't forget to restart it.)

Its always good to hear various ways of doing things, it provokes thought if nothing else
AR2 calling stoppages is new/alien to me.
If am ref, and am thinking 3, yet the AR says 5, do we go 5?
split it and go 4?
stick to the 3 as ref we consider suitable, and at the same time nullifying the AR2 input?
At best, with comms, I can see me going, 'guys am thinking 3, any thoughts?'

but def nothing more, even with a 4th, its my call
The referee is the sole timekeeper so the assistant referee determining the stoppage time is not in line with law in my opinion.

The referee is the sole timekeeper so the assistant referee determining the stoppage time is not in line with law in my opinion.

I agree 100%

was curious as to the mindset of AR2 suggesting the added time, maybe its a done thing elsewhere, and, if so, the logic behind it.

I disagree. The referee makes all calls on the field, too, but typically accepts the recommendation of his ARs--on OS and other things. I don't think there is any Law issue that prohibits the R from asking the AR to track added time--it is still the referee who decides to accept the recommended amount of added time. I sorta get the concept of having an AR track--it means the R isn't distracted by that as he's managing the field, and in particular getting folks who come on to check players off. (And in games with VAR, not having to think about anything but the OFR and managing players.) That said, in the games I do, I would not even consider having an AR be the primary person tracking added time--I absolutely want to own that decision completely.

Reactions: one
It was more the example I remember him giving about being on the line one game when an awful challenge was made, and from the whistle, body language and the fact that he saw the red card as the book came out of the referee's pocket he was confident that the ref was going to send the player off so didn't think he needed to get involved, only for the ref to then pull out the yellow and all hell subsequently broke loose (I am remembering that correctly, right @RustyRef?)

Yes, exactly that, I saw the red in the wallet and assumed he was dealing with it but he then pulled yellow from the other side. But I've also seen players go ape when a referee has pulled out his wallet and the player he has called over has seen the red in the wallet, it really just isn't worth the risk. Write the name down, wallet away, take card from pocket, it takes no time at all.

Lots of referees ask their 4th official to keep a stoppages log, he will then suggest the added time and the 4th official will either say yes or disagree. The benefit there is if anyone queries the added time you can say there was 2 minutes for substitutions, two injuries at a minute each, etc.

Never heard of an assistant being asked to do this though, and obviously it is a lot harder for them to write during the game.

The vibrate function on my Casio RFT-100 and my Apple Watch is a godsend. Sure it’s Refsix that’s used on the Apple Watch but works a treat for me

The vibrate function on my Casio RFT-100 and my Apple Watch is a godsend. Sure it’s Refsix that’s used on the Apple Watch but works a treat for me
Can that vibrate when paused. I know it does for 45 mins up.

The Referee Timer app for Garmin was good. You have one timer counting down from 45 (or any other time you need to set it to) which starts and stops with the press of a button, and another timer counting up from zero which continues when paused, and it vibrates every few seconds so you don't forget to restart it. It buzzes you when the original 45 is over, and again when the added time is over. Only downside that I can see so far is that it records the entire match including half time as one activity, with (as far as I'm aware) no function to make the first half, half time and the second half separate laps, meaning you can't see distance travelled in each half, and there's no way of discounting the distance travelled during half time.

The only watch I know that does this is a spintso.
I personally have mixed feelings on it. It's a good watch.
But it's absolutely massive and as @santa sangria will back me up the button that switches from DST and back is ridiculously easy pressed in error so you never know if you are on the right time or not.
That said has good count up and down feature and importantly buzzes when stopped.
I've had three of them over the last 5 years or so. One got stolen and the other two just stopped working when out of warranty.. I guess I'm just unlucky. Loved the functionality but don't plan to buy another one. With a little more money you can get a smartwatch with software which has all the functions and more. There are other threads here about them. That's my plan for next season anyway.

That would be a fairly extreme interpretation Jimbob.

With no 4th...
AR1 takes the timings for subs
Where we are we ask AR2 to take goals and cards, including timing, as a check for the ref.
And in higher level games with comms, some of the most serious aspiring refs ask AR2 to call the stoppages and running total as a check for the ref. Seems perfectly sane to me.

The last match I did with a ref that requested this - she did the national cup final the following week and has done some European games - so I see no reason to quibble this one ;)

That would be a fairly extreme interpretation Jimbob.

With no 4th...
AR1 takes the timings for subs
Where we are we ask AR2 to take goals and cards, including timing, as a check for the ref.
And in higher level games with comms, some of the most serious aspiring refs ask AR2 to call the stoppages and running total as a check for the ref. Seems perfectly sane to me.

The last match I did with a ref that requested this - she did the national cup final the following week and has done some European games - so I see no reason to quibble this one ;)
No way I'm asking for assistance (or guidance) with respect to 'added time'. The amount we add on at the end is quite a personal thing. It's also important enough that I wouldn't want to delegate that responsibility. I wanna be the sole arbiter on this matter!

No way I'm asking for assistance (or guidance) with respect to 'added time'. The amount we add on at the end is quite a personal thing. It's also important enough that I wouldn't want to delegate that responsibility. I wanna be the sole arbiter on this matter!
I wouldn't say personal is the right word to use here. Subjective prob a better word.

I too keep all added time myself, however I don't mind if any ref delegates it to an assistant. We do accept their recommendation on decisions much more critical than added time.

Back