A&H

Watch recommendation

The Referee Store
Fancy. Never seen that one before. I'm partial to sticking with paper and pen though.

Looks fancy, but will be pretty fiddly to manage during a game with everything else going on.

Edited to add - my favourite is the Fox's one, that comes with a great (and loud) whistle: Fox Set

The critical feature for me is a buzz every few seconds when I've stopped the clock because I am forever forgetting to restart it. That watch doesn't have it.

Honestly, you can pop this on the shelf with the yellow and red card gloves.
It probably serves its purpose as a watch but I don't really see what benefit is gained by being able to keep score on the watch.
You still need paper and pen/cil for cautions etc. So it hasn't solved a problem.
Basically a gimmick that you'll pay much more for than better alternatives.

Honestly, you can pop this on the shelf with the yellow and red card gloves.
It probably serves its purpose as a watch but I don't really see what benefit is gained by being able to keep score on the watch.
You still need paper and pen/cil for cautions etc. So it hasn't solved a problem.
Basically a gimmick that you'll pay much more for than better alternatives.
I presume you'd use it alongside write-on cards?

On the occasions I've used write-on card skins before, I've ended up either using up a page in my notebook purely for a score tally, keeping a tally along the bottom of a yellow card or carrying an additional "white card" for scorekeeping. None of those felt like a great solution - the first was wasteful, the second had the problem of players seeing you pull a yellow card out after each goal and the latter just had the issue that my homemade laminated white cards were harder to write on than the matte card skins. A watch that also kept score would solve those issues....although I will admit, I wouldn't trust scorekeeping to a device that might run out of battery unless I was working with NAR's who were keeping a full match record as well.

On the occasions I've used write-on card skins before, I've ended up either using up a page in my notebook purely for a score tally, keeping a tally along the bottom of a yellow card or carrying an additional "white card" for scorekeeping. None of those felt like a great solution - the first was wasteful, the second had the problem of players seeing you pull a yellow card out after each goal and the latter just had the issue that my homemade laminated white cards were harder to write on than the matte card skins. A watch that also kept score would solve those issues....although I will admit, I wouldn't trust scorekeeping to a device that might run out of battery unless I was working with NAR's who were keeping a full match record as well.
I use write on cards but I always carry my notebook in, with no cards, because, what I don't like doing is standing with a red card in my hand whilst trying to obtain name etc. So send offs go in the book still.
I just don't see this solving an existing problem for referees.
I've never once heard or seen a referee have a problem with keeping score nor need a solution to it. That's just my opinion built up over 10 or so years refereeing.
If you look at the features of this watch, against an equivalent, that doesn't have a scorer its a very expensive gimmick.

Write-on cards are also a gimmick which refs only do because they want to do it like the refs on the telly!

I use write on cards but I always carry my notebook in, with no cards, because, what I don't like doing is standing with a red card in my hand whilst trying to obtain name etc. So send offs go in the book still.
I've never once heard or seen a referee have a problem with keeping score nor need a solution to it. That's just my opinion built up over 10 or so years refereeing.
If you look at the features of this watch, against an equivalent, that doesn't have a scorer its a very expensive gimmick.

Imo you spot on.

Technology, advances, new methods, are generally introduced to improve existing practises, make them watertight, make then faster, easier, and cheaper.

Keeping the score, I would imagine, cannot get easier than keeping a tally on a piece of paper.

ha this reminds me, i forgot the score once. one team wildly celebrated a late goal and i wondered why since i made that 3-2 to the other team. when i wrote the score down as 3-2 on the team sheet things got a little heated!

not happened since!

Write-on cards are also a gimmick which refs only do because they want to do it like the refs on the telly!
It's undeniably quicker and easier than what I see most L4s do, which is fish around in one pocket for a notebook, fish around again for a pencil, take the details, put that all back in pockets and then pull the actual card from another pocket. Never understood that - if you're going to use a notebook, may as well use one with the cards in it so you're at least only working out of one pocket.

The critical feature for me is a buzz every few seconds when I've stopped the clock because I am forever forgetting to restart it. That watch doesn't have it.
That sounds like a great feature! Any recommendations?

It's undeniably quicker and easier than what I see most L4s do, which is fish around in one pocket for a notebook, fish around again for a pencil, take the details, put that all back in pockets and then pull the actual card from another pocket. Never understood that - if you're going to use a notebook, may as well use one with the cards in it so you're at least only working out of one pocket.
Unless the cards have room to write the players' names on them then they shouldn't be being used. I believe @RustyRef has explained before why having cards in your book can be a bad idea

Unless the cards have room to write the players' names on them then they shouldn't be being used. I believe @RustyRef has explained before why having cards in your book can be a bad idea
He has, and assuming I remember the argument correctly, I think that logic is overly paranoid. Players will be angry when they're getting carded regardless - any slight flash of colour they might see when you pull a notebook out isn't going to change that. Even the most irate player understands the concept of a notebook with cards in, I don't see anyone really failing to understand that you might have a book with both cards in. And final argument: your whistle, speed/method of isolating the player and body language should be screaming "Red" or "Yellow" regardless - all of that will have primed the player to know what to expect before you even start going to pockets.

If you're genuinely really worried about a player seeing red when they shouldn't, then a notebook with a yellow in and a red card in a separate pocket is an OK solution. And this also allows for a quick red if needed. But I think the fishing around in pockets for a routine yellow card is slow and looks clunky and indecisive.

There are some benefits to card writing. Graeme touched upon speed and efficiency.
But I like having the card in my
pocket
Edit:started and infinished post and no idea what my point was going to be so will just leave it there 🤣
That sounds like a great feature! Any recommendations?
The only watch I know that does this is a spintso.
I personally have mixed feelings on it. It's a good watch.
But it's absolutely massive and as @santa sangria will back me up the button that switches from DST and back is ridiculously easy pressed in error so you never know if you are on the right time or not.
That said has good count up and down feature and importantly buzzes when stopped.

He has, and assuming I remember the argument correctly, I think that logic is overly paranoid. Players will be angry when they're getting carded regardless - any slight flash of colour they might see when you pull a notebook out isn't going to change that. Even the most irate player understands the concept of a notebook with cards in, I don't see anyone really failing to understand that you might have a book with both cards in. And final argument: your whistle, speed/method of isolating the player and body language should be screaming "Red" or "Yellow" regardless - all of that will have primed the player to know what to expect before you even start going to pockets.

If you're genuinely really worried about a player seeing red when they shouldn't, then a notebook with a yellow in and a red card in a separate pocket is an OK solution. And this also allows for a quick red if needed. But I think the fishing around in pockets for a routine yellow card is slow and looks clunky and indecisive.
It was more the example I remember him giving about being on the line one game when an awful challenge was made, and from the whistle, body language and the fact that he saw the red card as the book came out of the referee's pocket he was confident that the ref was going to send the player off so didn't think he needed to get involved, only for the ref to then pull out the yellow and all hell subsequently broke loose (I am remembering that correctly, right @RustyRef?)

It was more the example I remember him giving about being on the line one game when an awful challenge was made, and from the whistle, body language and the fact that he saw the red card as the book came out of the referee's pocket he was confident that the ref was going to send the player off so didn't think he needed to get involved, only for the ref to then pull out the yellow and all hell subsequently broke loose (I am remembering that correctly, right @RustyRef?)
Ah, fair enough. I still think you get past that by keeping the yellow in the wallet and the red in a pocket rather than keeping the yellow separate.

The correct method of cards is what you are most comfortable with

Stonewall red and you are AR and ref goes yellow? You are duty bound to assist, advise, and if the referee still decides to stick with the yellow, you have done your bit.

There is no official method .

It's an interesting discussion. I'm very much aware (and working on), that issuing sanctions is a core skill
The difference between getting a caution/dismissal process right or wrong is very important
I'm a long way off deciding my overall preferred methodology and am yet to try anything other than the traditional method of notebook/pen and cards in various pockets

It's an interesting discussion. I'm very much aware (and working on), that issuing sanctions is a core skill
The difference between getting a caution/dismissal process right or wrong is very important
I'm a long way off deciding my overall preferred methodology and am yet to try anything other than the traditional method of notebook/pen and cards in various pockets
In terms of the actual caution, I'm 100% confident that write-on cards when you can just jot down a shirt number, time and caution code is the best. There's a reason that's what they do in the PL - it's quick, easy, almost impossible to screw up and looks smart/professional.

Unfortunately, at our level, that's frowned upon, not always actually possible and does come with the side issue I mention above about how to record the score/subs and what to do if you need to take supplementary notes. So yeah, in reality I'm with you - I have a few different methods I can use and basically just decide what feels right on the day.

Back