A&H

Wall encroaching at free kick

Sam Brooks

Level 7 Referee
Had a quarter final on Sunday, all going well very tight match at 2-2 when green team gets a free kick on the edge of the oppositions half, stone wall free kick. A lot of moaning from defending team but after speaking with their captain all was well,marked out 10 yards and moved into my position, when blowing my whistle certain players in the wall encroached 3-4 yards before the ball was kick and ended up blocking the free kick. I reordered the free kick to be taken which brought a lot of criticism from the defending team. After one yellow card and speaking with the captain to calm down the situation the free kick was retaken and was scored.

First time I have ever been in this situation, was it the correct decision?

The Referee Store
Absolutely right, as long as that was the reason for your caution (rather than dissent). My first ever caution was for this and I was pleased as it was entirely non-contentious. Everyone knows that encroachment (failure to respect distance) is an easy yellow!

Yup, I had the same thing a few weeks ago. Free kick given, wall moves forward, blocked.

Ask for it to be re-taken, and book the player for C6. Free kick is re-taken and goes straight in.

The same player encroached again during the 2nd kick, however as he gained no advantage from it, I let it go. If I was in a bad mood, I could have easily given him his 2nd yellow,

Yup, I had the same thing a few weeks ago. Free kick given, wall moves forward, blocked.

Ask for it to be re-taken, and book the player for C6. Free kick is re-taken and goes straight in.

The same player encroached again during the 2nd kick, however as he gained no advantage from it, I let it go. If I was in a bad mood, I could have easily given him his 2nd yellow,

I've had a few cases where the same player has encroached again and I've justified letting it go for that reason. Although it's been blatant and I've kind of regretted that 'soft' decision - after all, it can still be offputting to the kicker.

Just to play devil's advocate. You've got a wall of 5 and all 5 commit a C6 offence. Would you all do?

It's a pity we have this weird approach in this game that the more people doing the wrong thing, the more okay it is. Like mass dissent or a mass confrontation - imagine if we actually dealt with everybody doing the wrong thing appropriately!

I've had a few cases where the same player has encroached again and I've justified letting it go for that reason. Although it's been blatant and I've kind of regretted that 'soft' decision - after all, it can still be offputting to the kicker.

It's a pity we have this weird approach in this game that the more people doing the wrong thing, the more okay it is. Like mass dissent or a mass confrontation - imagine if we actually dealt with everybody doing the wrong thing appropriately!

I think a mass confrontation is slightly different, you're bound to miss something. I believe at the English professional level they are told to get the two instigators and the any blatant offences and leave the rest to the cameras.

Back