A&H

Very sad

The Referee Store
And not enough assessing of the assessors!
Yep, some of the crap I've heard from assessors defies belief. But these guys have way too much power - I firmly believe the power of assessors is highly understated; if these guys are determining promotion, then these are the ones who are having a massive impact upon not only who gets to the top tiers, but what they're doing. I personally believe that inadequate assessors is a far bigger problem than inadequate referees.

If you are a referee 'who takes no rubbish' then you can pretty much knock 10 marks off your club score before you even arrive because you, unlike last weeks ref, wont take their abuse.
What even happens with 'club marks'? Do they go back to the league and effect your progress or the games you may get?

Our referee's secretaries take absolutely no notice of club marks. I think the idea that they are a factor in promotion is ridiculous.

Not quite fair. The ref secretary will ignore individual marks in most cases, but across the course of the season the overall average club mark is a good representation of the referee ability. I think it is fair to use the average mark in these cases.

I've done 25 games in one league this season, so I think the average mark I've received should be about right. For every upset club giving me dodgy marks, they'll be a happy one giving me full marks.

What even happens with 'club marks'? Do they go back to the league and effect your progress or the games you may get?

It varies from league to league. Most referee secretary's can see when you've dropped marks for your zero tolerance approach. Usually given away by the huge difference in scores.

Referees should not be moaning anymore about player behaviour - they aren't the problem. We are.

Yes, yes, YES!!
Now send these words out in BIG RED BLOCK CAPITALS to every referee in my county.

In my changing room yesterday it had the clubs code of conduct towards officials which included bad language. I went into the Home teams changing room after the match to collect my fee and there was nothing on the wall.

A few of my teams when they confirm matches by email have a standard body text describing the acceptable behaviour by visiting players.

I must say I was quite suprised how easy it was to become an assessor however I've never assessed anyone but L7s and you are only looking for real basic competancies for L7-6.
2 out of the 3 assessors for my L6-5 were spot on I have to say.

Cheers mate! That rather p***ed on my joy about my recent promotion.

It's like a driving test.
A big deal at the time but in a few years when you're a L4, you'll look back and laugh you ever worried about it.

Last season I asked for the marks the managers gave me, in the league I reffed in most.
I can honestly say that if I gave away any contentious decisions against a team I was marked down.
If I gave several I got a very low score.
It had nothing to do with whether the team lost or not - merely whether the manager thought my decisions went against his team.
In fact the best 2 marks I got were from teams that lost - and yes, you guessed it....gave no contentious decisions against them.

Club markings are an absolute joke.

Referees should not be moaning anymore about player behaviour - they aren't the problem. We are. What you don't punish you encourage. there are quite a few of us out there doing lots of encouraging. This makes me sad.
Let it begin at the top of the tree and filter down the levels then ....These Sunday league players watch Rooney and co calling the ref and his assistants cheating C*****S and so on every week of the season...... and its wrong ! Good practice must be across the levels and consistent for it to work ,doesnt matter how much money is involved in the Premier League.

While I don't disagree, I also don't think they will ever change. Money is king at that level.

Money is not king at our level.

While I don't disagree, I also don't think they will ever change. Money is king at that level.

Money is not king at our level.
But money is king at grassroots, or rather lack of it.
The ones that can afford the misconduct fines don't have any to pay (unless the clubs have internal protocols). The ones that can't afford the fines are the ones that are hit hardest by it. They shouldn't copy their "heroes" because its a bad example and very bad for finances. Perverse.

Let it begin at the top of the tree and filter down the levels then ....These Sunday league players watch Rooney and co calling the ref and his assistants cheating C*****S and so on every week of the season...... and its wrong ! Good practice must be across the levels and consistent for it to work ,doesnt matter how much money is involved in the Premier League.

Couldn't agree more, a few times I've sent someone off for Offensive language they argue that Rooney or gerrard or some other too flight footballer said that and nothing came of it... :-/

Going back to the original discussion here I usually find that cautioning for dissent will not effect your club marks either way because the clubs know full well who are the gobsh***s amongst there team so almost expect them to be cautioned at some point during the 90 minutes. My best club mark came from one league that mark us out of 10, I got a 1 because in his words " I cant exactly give you a 0 can I?" my response was simple, of course you can give me a 0. Incidentally that is the same amount of hours sleep I lost over it.

Going back to the original discussion here I usually find that cautioning for dissent will not effect your club marks either way because the clubs know full well who are the gobsh***s amongst there team so almost expect them to be cautioned at some point during the 90 minutes. My best club mark came from one league that mark us out of 10, I got a 1 because in his words " I cant exactly give you a 0 can I?" my response was simple, of course you can give me a 0. Incidentally that is the same amount of hours sleep I lost over it.

The clubs know their mouthy players.....however they don't actually expect you to do anything about them.....you're supposed to put up with it....it's just 'part of the game' apparently.

Don't blame the EPL.
If we all did our job dissent and OFFINABUS at parks level would become almost not existent.
Referees that accept this behaviour are cowards and I wish they would hang up the whistle
Include those that don't send in cards.
I would rather have 50% covergae across the county but the players know when a ref did turn up he wasn't going to endure 90 mins of verbal abuse.

Just a question, are referees that are not up for promotion still marked?

Would love to see mine either way....

Back