A&H

Very sad

SM

The avuncular one
Due to a hamstring tweak I had today off (i am sad about that, but this is not what my post is about). I saw some incredible sights at some games I went to watch.

Referees happy to accept loud arguing with decisions. Not frustration, plain arguing. Loudly and continual. Using language I wouldn't accept.

CAR abused loudly by crowd for entire half of football. A player on the pitch then shouts 60 yards "you cheating *James blunt*" after the CAR flags correctly and honestly for offside. Ref does nothing. If I was the CAR I would have put down the flag and walked away.

Referees should not be moaning anymore about player behaviour - they aren't the problem. We are. What you don't punish you encourage. there are quite a few of us out there doing lots of encouraging. This makes me sad.

The Referee Store
I completely agree here. I don't stand for any of that rubbish when I'm in the middle, but sometimes when you penalise a player for it, they genuinely look at you like you have 2 heads. Only can put it down to inconsistency week to week.

Only thing you can do really is raise it the next society meeting, doubtful bringing it up with after the game would work out well.

I don't get that, IMO a ref who lets himself abuse wouldn't be "popular", everyone would only thinks he's an idiot who can't get respect

If you are a referee 'who takes no rubbish' then you can pretty much knock 10 marks off your club score before you even arrive because you, unlike last weeks ref, wont take their abuse.

That's the thing thou the club marking system is stupid because if your correct in law the cautioning a player for dissent or sending a player off for foul and abusive language there gonna deduct those mark so I don't do it for them

Seen this way too much. It seems that the higher up you go (at least in my area), the less referees want to deal with dissent. I remember being on the line for the 2nd highest grade a year or 2 back. 2 offside instances where I didn't raise my flag (and both of these went through to the keeper with no problem at all, I'm still quite baffled by the aggressive response from both players and the crowd). Keeper turned and screamed at me, with a liberal dose of the 'F' word and pointing at his eyes to demonstrate his point. Nothing but a word from the ref.

It's fantastic when you're the AR and 20 minutes into the game you've lost all respect for the ref :p Bloody weak refereeing, but I blame the inspectors for this.

But I had a referee back me up today and he cautioned a player for giving dissent and it was only over a push In the back.

Club marks are a big factor in this.

When going for promotion you get stuck between a rock and a hard place. Far too much weighting on them. I know for a fact that the match this season that gave me the lowest club marks of 60 from each team, was my best game of the season

One off from one team for OFFINABUS and one off for two dissent cautions. That caused both managers to have a tantrum and give me minimum marks.

My refs sec knows full well what's happened... But unfortunately the promotion system doesn't give two hoots

That's why there needs to be an assessor on every game personally but there just not enough of them.

There are some instances where moaning is understandable to an extent, so I try and take a view whether the "dissent" is a) understandable and b) not overly aggressive or continuous

I had a tough game yesterday with a lot of niggly whinging from the H team, and on one occasion I denied them a (very) close penalty call in the last 5 mins which a couple of the players went on about for the rest of the game, and after the final whistle. It cost them a chance of a win which would have kept them out of the relegation places and they felt aggrieved. I understand that, and decided to let it go. On another day, I would have cautioned.

Any specific dissent towards me or my assistants (whether Club or Neutral) is always dealt with. With a card of one colour or another.

There are some instances where moaning is understandable to an extent, so I try and take a view whether the "dissent" is a) understandable and b) not overly aggressive or continuous

I had a tough game yesterday with a lot of niggly whinging from the H team, and on one occasion I denied them a (very) close penalty call in the last 5 mins which a couple of the players went on about for the rest of the game, and after the final whistle. It cost them a chance of a win which would have kept them out of the relegation places and they felt aggrieved. I understand that, and decided to let it go. On another day, I would have cautioned.

Any specific dissent towards me or my assistants (whether Club or Neutral) is always dealt with. With a card of one colour or another.

Were you correct in denying the penalty?

Guess what? It doesn't matter! Players need to learn that once you've given your decision no amount of bitching is going to change it......

Just out of interest......how can it be a "very close penalty"? It either is a penalty or it isn't.

There was contact between the A and D but the guy went down very easily and the ball was running out of play for a GK. He made too much of the contact for me to be convinced that it was a foul.

I was in such a good position (inside the box right behind the incident) that I made it easier for myself, on another day, at another angle I would have given it hence it was a very close call.

I've never understood why level 7s are having part of their promotion based on club marks. Surely the clubs involved at their level are to low to be taken seriously, I.e. Pub league teams. I can understand when you get to supply league levels etc as the players/managers are "supposed" to have an understanding of the laws, take the game seriously etc.

At local football I see players/managers with with so little understanding of the laws that any mark they give you can't be taken seriously*.

*before anyone jumps down my throat I know there are exceptions to both things I just said with some exceedingly intelligent/fair minded managers at local football and idiots at semi pro levels.

Back