A&H

VAR Part 456

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks James. Not particularly pro VAR, but if used think it more practical for the VAR to make the calls, albeit under the guise of the match referee 'making' the decision after 'advice' from the VAR.

That is not the protocol.

The VAR checks every PK or potential PK, every goal or denied goal if the whistle is after the ball enters, and every send off/potential send off. If the VAR does not see anything that warrants review, simply says "check complete."

Only if the VAR believes there was a clear error or a "missed incident" does the VAR recommend an on field review by the referee. (Or, in the case of an objective decision such as OSP, recommend the change without the review.)

With the clear error or missed incident standard, OFRs should be uncommon. (The bar seemed to slip down a bit in the WWC.)

The Referee Store
Wolves disallowed goal for HB. VAR called it. Marriner apparently 'agreeing' with the call

because it's a 'matter of fact' decision. no need to go to the monitor to confirm what the VAR is telling him is a fact. if it was a matter of opinion (defensive handball in the area perhaps) then a video review would have likely ensued

My two cents...for what it’s worth!

I think there needs to be some minor changes to law in order to straighten things out/make life easier for all involved, following VAR’s introduction into the PL.

I’m all for offside=offside...I believe the MLS protocol is to let anything tight go with the on-field decision however, it’s a can of worms as some officials will give an inch, some will give 3+. Where do you draw the line (pardon the pun)? My issue with this is when you end up with the sterling scenario from last weekend. I still can’t see where he’s offside! Drawing thick lines from shoulders/armpits to the ground wasn’t helpful. I believe it’d be much easier if offside was feet only, much easier to draw an imaginary line parallel to the goal line and clarify if it’s offside or not.

Would a player deliberately lean their upper body into the ‘offside zone’ keeping their feet level, to gain an advantage? Can’t see it. Make life easier by ruling it based on foot position.

Sack the red card VAR reviews. Leave it to the officials on the pitch. If they miss it then cite the guilty players the following week. The FA’s line they didn’t want to re-ref games by punishing players after the match has ended is practically out the window now the game is being re-reffed in real-time by VAR. I don’t see the problem with retrospective action.

VAR checking red card offences during play will lead to multiple inconsistencies and incorrect decisions IMO. E.g a palace player drove a straight leg into Bernard’s thigh, studs first on Saturday, no red after review...which would be fine if it wasn’t for the fact I’d put my house on an identical challenge being punished by a red this season. I don’t think something so subjective is the best use of the technology, especially live.

I doubt this will be a popular opinion but officials should answer for their decisions following VAR reviews. For officials at any level, mistakes during live play are inevitable, it’s impossible to get it all right in real-time. However there’s no excuse for a penalty save being allowed to stand once VAR has proven the keepers feet were off the line before the ball was played. That’s blatantly not applying the law by choice. If an official had to explain why he let something like that go, I guarantee he’d be less inclined to let it go again, ultimately making the game fairer.

I’m still undecided on whether or not VAR should be looking for reasons to rule a goal out, without prompt. I’m not sure whether or not a review system would work as per the NFL or cricket? That’s one for another day I think!

My two cents...for what it’s worth!

I think there needs to be some minor changes to law in order to straighten things out/make life easier for all involved, following VAR’s introduction into the PL.

I’m all for offside=offside...I believe the MLS protocol is to let anything tight go with the on-field decision
Uh, no. Under MLS protocol, if they can make a definitive determination, then VAR will change the call. It is when they cannot make a definitive determination that they stick wtih the call on the field--which is exactly what is says in the LOTG. (I don't think MLS is using as elaborate of line drawing technology as FIFA did in the WCs, so they are more likely to not have a definitive answer.)
however, it’s a can of worms as some officials will give an inch, some will give 3+. Where do you draw the line (pardon the pun)? My issue with this is when you end up with the sterling scenario from last weekend. I still can’t see where he’s offside! Drawing thick lines from shoulders/armpits to the ground wasn’t helpful. I believe it’d be much easier if offside was feet only, much easier to draw an imaginary line parallel to the goal line and clarify if it’s offside or not.
Depends on the technology. The FIFA tech used in the WCs uses 3D mapping to drop from above down to the spot on the field, but I understand it is expensive and elaborate to install on a field. But changing the OS law to make VAR easier seems to me like putting the cart before the horse.
Would a player deliberately lean their upper body into the ‘offside zone’ keeping their feet level, to gain an advantage? Can’t see it. Make life easier by ruling it based on foot position.

Sack the red card VAR reviews.
Never going to happen. Send offs--think Webb in the WC--were one of the drivers for implementing VAR.
Leave it to the officials on the pitch. If they miss it then cite the guilty players the following week. The FA’s line they didn’t want to re-ref games by punishing players after the match has ended is practically out the window now the game is being re-reffed in real-time by VAR. I don’t see the problem with retrospective action.

VAR checking red card offences during play will lead to multiple inconsistencies and incorrect decisions IMO. E.g a palace player drove a straight leg into Bernard’s thigh, studs first on Saturday, no red after review...which would be fine if it wasn’t for the fact I’d put my house on an identical challenge being punished by a red this season. I don’t think something so subjective is the best use of the technology, especially live.
I don't get how you think VAR would make send offs more inconsistent than without VAR. With VAR, there is a chance to fix the true outliers (again, think Web in the WC).
I doubt this will be a popular opinion but officials should answer for their decisions following VAR reviews. For officials at any level, mistakes during live play are inevitable, it’s impossible to get it all right in real-time. However there’s no excuse for a penalty save being allowed to stand once VAR has proven the keepers feet were off the line before the ball was played. That’s blatantly not applying the law by choice. If an official had to explain why he let something like that go, I guarantee he’d be less inclined to let it go again, ultimately making the game fairer.
Not sure why you think they don't. All officials that are using VAR are getting evaluated every single game. Rs get evaluated both on the initial decision and on what they do with any review. And VARs get reviewed on whether or not they send things down to the R. There is a lot of accountability for performance at that level.
I’m still undecided on whether or not VAR should be looking for reasons to rule a goal out, without prompt. I’m not sure whether or not a review system would work as per the NFL or cricket? That’s one for another day I think!

That said, don't mistake me for a VAR apologist. I still think they should ditch the whole darn thing. But that's never going to happen. It's not a genie that is ever going back into the lamp.

I've seen the "offside based on feet only" idea a few times recently. And while it might work fine when you're talking about VAR, I'd hate to be the AR on the side of the pitch who's looking at 3 seperate attackers and who would then also have to be able to distinguish which bit of each attacker is which. Prioritise making the on-field decision easy first, any VAR considerations must come second to that.

I've seen the "offside based on feet only" idea a few times recently. And while it might work fine when you're talking about VAR, I'd hate to be the AR on the side of the pitch who's looking at 3 seperate attackers and who would then also have to be able to distinguish which bit of each attacker is which. Prioritise making the on-field decision easy first, any VAR considerations must come second to that.
Yes, feet might work for VAR, but not when I'm on the line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back