A&H

VAR in FA Cup games this weekend.

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
For me VAR should be used for all games or none.

This weekend some games will have it an others not.

Seems to be unfair on the teams that don't have it.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
For me VAR should be used for all games or none.

This weekend some games will have it an others not.

Seems to be unfair on the teams that don't have it.

Thoughts?
They've spent a fortune on technology and employing full-time VARs
Regardless of anything else, they'll want a return on this investment at every opportunity, so it's a fairly pointless debate

Personally, I don't care

I‘ve never really bought the argument that it’s unfair if some games have VAR or GLT. Every game is refereed differently, as every referee is different. That’s really what VAR does. Some games get better refs than others. Some fields are better than others. That’s just life. Teams are playing against the team on the field with them—and both of those teams do or don’t have VAR. I get that It feels odd, but I don’t think it is unfair at all.

in rugby and cricket, only TV games have video ref/3rd umpires. this is no different.

ball will roll for some and against others...

As I swansea fan, watching city beat us 3-2 a few seasons back, when there was an offside, and a blatant dive, we were frustrated that bigger teams got VAR, and if it was at the Etihad, Swansea would've seen a very different outcome under the same set of events.

End of the day, the points been made about return on investment, it makes sense

As I swansea fan, watching city beat us 3-1 a few seasons back, when there was an offside, and a blatant dive, we were frustrated that bigger teams got VAR, and if it was at the Etihad, Swansea would've seen a very different outcome under the same set of events.

End of the day, the points been made about return on investment, it makes sense
twas 3-2 :)

no issue with the dive/offside comments!

Ah my mistake, being of Welsh routes but living in Manchester made it a week to forget :facepalm:
if i have one skill/party trick in life, it's recalling city games, scorers and often the ref. this one sticks in my mind as it was my wife birthday and I spent the first part of the meal checking the score!

incidentally...silva, keeper og, aguero and ref was marriner! celina got one of yours though not sure on the 2nd!

if i have one skill/party trick in life, it's recalling city games, scorers and often the ref. this one sticks in my mind as it was my wife birthday and I spent the first part of the meal checking the score!

incidentally...silva, keeper og, aguero and ref was marriner! celina got one of yours though not sure on the 2nd!
Yep, Celina on the 2nd for 2-0, and a Swansea penalty was the first.

Ultimately the city penalty came from what I remembered being a dive by Sterling, and then off the post and the keeper and in, a string of unlucky events...

Bernado had a great strike for you, but agueros last was offside I think

Yep, Celina on the 2nd for 2-0, and a Swansea penalty was the first.

Ultimately the city penalty came from what I remembered being a dive by Sterling, and then off the post and the keeper and in, a string of unlucky events...

Bernado had a great strike for you, but agueros last was offside I think
yeah our pen was soft and it then did hit the post, the keepers back and then went in. agueros winner was deffo off

I've never understood the argument that it needs to be in all cup games. What happens in a cup game only affects that game, it has zero impact on any other games. If it was used in some league games but not others then I would absolutely say that is wrong, but cup games are different.

IMHO it’s not a level playing field - if in one match you can get away with off the ball VC or DOG-H - but in another match in the same comp at the same time you can’t.

Especially as the effect is compounded by VAR matches being refereed/flagged so differently from other matches.

IMHO it’s not a level playing field - if in one match you can get away with off the ball VC or DOG-H - but in another match in the same comp at the same time you can’t.

Especially as the effect is compounded by VAR matches being refereed/flagged so differently from other matches.
You can get away with different things with different referees though, not really any different.

And games were only being refereed differently with VAR due to incompetent directives to officials from PGMOL. Aside from delayed flags, there should be absolutely no difference in how games are refereed with VAR to those without out, and we will start to see that in England now there is a new broom at the top.

You can get away with different things with different referees though, not really any different.

And games were only being refereed differently with VAR due to incompetent directives to officials from PGMOL. Aside from delayed flags, there should be absolutely no difference in how games are refereed with VAR to those without out, and we will start to see that in England now there is a new broom at the top.
Have to fundamentally disagree with you there. As we saw in the world cup with officials reminding players "the cameras see everything" it is refereed differently. KMI decision making is different, the timing of decisions is different, communication with players is different, the relationship between officials and players is different. Players also behave differently. They act differently, avoid some offences, dissent is different.

To say "absolutely no difference" seems crazy to me.

If they're unable to follow a basic instruction such as "do the same thing you always have", that seems like an even stronger argument for supporting them with tech!

Have to fundamentally disagree with you there. As we saw in the world cup with officials reminding players "the cameras see everything" it is refereed differently. KMI decision making is different, the timing of decisions is different, communication with players is different, the relationship between officials and players is different. Players also behave differently. They act differently, avoid some offences, dissent is different.

To say "absolutely no difference" seems crazy to me.
The World Cup was totally different. Do you see EPL referees stopping every single set piece to warn players about things they haven't done? No, so it isn't a valid comparison.

The World Cup was totally different. Do you see EPL referees stopping every single set piece to warn players about things they haven't done? No, so it isn't a valid comparison.
I mentioned the world cup in the context of the players understanding that the (VAR) cameras see everything.

I did not mention daft warnings at corners - as it is obviously irrelevant to the point here.

I personally have no issue with VAR being used in one game and not another, like others have said it's the same for both teams. I said as much to a friend last season who pointed out it does affect other teams in the way (using the Swansea v City game above as an example) that one team drew City in the next round who potentially could / should have drawn Swansea. This is me purely playing devil's advocate, i'm still not against VAR in the FA Cup

I personally have no issue with VAR being used in one game and not another, like others have said it's the same for both teams. I said as much to a friend last season who pointed out it does affect other teams in the way (using the Swansea v City game above as an example) that one team drew City in the next round who potentially could / should have drawn Swansea. This is me purely playing devil's advocate, i'm still not against VAR in the FA Cup
Good point - simplest solution would seem to just be to kick City out of all competitions, just in case! ;)

I mentioned the world cup in the context of the players understanding that the (VAR) cameras see everything.

I did not mention daft warnings at corners - as it is obviously irrelevant to the point here.
Regardless, the undoubtable fact is that having VAR in a cup game only affects the teams and participants in that cup game. It has no impact on a cup game being played in the same competition 30 miles away without VAR.

Back