The Ref Stop

VAR in FA Cup games this weekend.

Regardless, the undoubtable fact is that having VAR in a cup game only affects the teams and participants in that cup game. It has no impact on a cup game being played in the same competition 30 miles away without VAR.
No, not for me. Not fact at all. Detection of offences, use of cards, behaviour of players etc… big differences in the game. Potential suspensions obvious effect. The same goal being allowed in one match but not in another in the same comp at the same time makes a nonsense of the idea of sport. They might as well be egg chasing in the other semi!

The Ref Stop
What i am asking is would Newcastle have either won or got a replay with VAR used?
Probably not. Wednesday's first goal was possibly offside, but by millimetres. Newcastle's goal would definitely have been ruled out as he was several metres offside.

Also one in the Chesterfield vs West Brom game. West Brom player commits a clear act of VC in added time and then goes onto score the equaliser, with VAR that would have to be a red card and disallowed goal (caveat, it should be, I don't have full confidence they would have given it).

Probably not. Wednesday's first goal was possibly offside, but by millimetres. Newcastle's goal would definitely have been ruled out as he was several metres offside.

Also one in the Chesterfield vs West Brom game. West Brom player commits a clear act of VC in added time and then goes onto score the equaliser, with VAR that would have to be a red card and disallowed goal (caveat, it should be, I don't have full confidence they would have given it).
Expecting the WBA offender to be dealt with retrospectively. Sends the wrong message if not.

From what I've seen this weekend, I feel that it's easier for the refs without VAR. Things can be missed and majority of people accept that without VAR. When something is missed by VAR there is a reluctance to accept it.

Use the money invested in VAR and other technologies to get the LOTG rewritten by ex professional footballers as they know what the laws should be.

Danny Murphy is @#£%^&* clueless.

Things can be missed and majority of people accept that without VAR.
I mean, this is just not true, and it's baffling to me how many people have convinced themselves that it's the case. We have historical evidence of TV companies slating referees, managers getting suspended for comments on referees and even a few cases of top-level referees being attacked or retiring through fear of being attacked.

VAR not being the fix we hoped it would be is one thing. But pretending that everything was fine and VAR is IFAB choosing to meddle for no particular reason is just a weird bit of mental gymnastics.

Use the money invested in VAR and other technologies to get the LOTG rewritten by ex professional footballers as they know what the laws should be.

Danny Murphy is @#£%^&* clueless.
NGL These two statements seem very opposed to one another

even a few cases of top-level referees being attacked or retiring through fear of being attacked.

The only top level ref I heard about receiving threats was the one, I think from Denmark, after the Chelsea Barca game. That's not acceptable.

The majority are fine, like all things it's the noisy minority that get all the attention and airtime. While the majority don't give it a second thought.

If your average pundit is anything to go by, the laws of the game would be 1 line on one page judging by their "knowledge".

Would you honestly trust the likes of Lineker and the utter tripe he spouts on twitter, to be in charge of writing the laws of the game? No thanks!!!

Back