A&H

VAR Farce

For me the Watford non pen was the worse one. Rarely agree with Mr Shearer, but he was right here - that wasn't just one foul - it was about 3!

The Referee Store
I was so focused on Ali's handball I missed Kane's push.

Villa had a goal disallowed for Wesley jumping to head the ball with the keeper. No one really complained, seemed pretty innocent. VAR ruled that out....

The same VAR ref didn't rule out a clear push by Kane 30 mins later? Lol. The same bloke!

I was so focused on Ali's handball I missed Kane's push.

Villa had a goal disallowed for Wesley jumping to head the ball with the keeper. No one really complained, seemed pretty innocent. VAR ruled that out....

The same VAR ref didn't rule out a clear push by Kane 30 mins later? Lol. The same bloke!

It wasn't the same bloke as Villa were playing Brighton and Tottenham were playing Watford at the same time.

VARs are the same PL referees out on the pitch every week! So yes he would know the handball LAW

Indeed - although in this case not a PL referee, as was John Brooks.

Of course referees sometimes make major law errors (Keith Stroud at Newcastle a few years ago for instance) but yes I think that is basically 100% that he just didn't think it had hit the arm.

I thought all VAR decisions go to one VAR ref in a neutral location? So it would have been the same VAR ref.

How on earth could a single VAR watch all 6 games going on at the same time. Can imagine over the comms "hang on a sec lads, I'm reviewing a penalty in another game so I'll get to yours next" ... :)

Each game has a VAR and an AVAR dedicated to it. They are all in the same room at Stockley Park, but only watching one of the games. Think of it like Soccer Saturday but with a bit more kit … !

1571579606765.png

Lest not forget that I've long since declared the 'pitch side monitor' the most deplorable aspect of VAR, as seen on pantomime soap opera TV around the world. So I commend the PGMOL's stance in showing it the red card
Alas, the utter resolution of the VAR to never concede that the OFR is wrong, has contradicted and scuppered the rejection of the dreaded monitor

The dynamics of the game just don't suit VAR . It can and will be improved upon, but I don't trust FIFA and IFAB to reverse the mess they've caused.
Get rid completely and start again from scratch imo (because I concede that technology is needed and could be beneficial)

VAR isn't the problem.
The ridiculous way some idiot had decided they're gonna be used is the problem.
Other countries have decided not to make a complete hash of it.
The pessimist in me thinks someone high up wants VAR to fail!

Reactions: Nij
It's happened again, only now the profile will rocket because it involves a top team. At least they're consistent!
And then the stupid HB Law takes centre stage

Last edited:
I just have no idea how VAR is being used in the prem. how is that not a foul??

We all know Everyone on his board that that should have 100% been overturned.

Atkinson has not been at his best at all.

You must have missed the WC and WWC then

I certainly missed/didn't watch the WWC.
I'd say the EPL are doing a much worse job than the WC. The WC was a bit hectic at time but they were correcting errors by referees. Now VAR won't overturn a thing.

I'm not buying this 'time' argument - it was first used in football quite a while ago now.
First use of VAR at international was 2016. Three years is nothing in terms of developing these systems.
Rugby union has had the TMO for 18 years, and still encounters problems. Field hockey has fewer decision points than football, has had VU for twelve years and has only just settled the last vestigial problems.

History
VAR was conceived by the Refereeing 2.0 project in the early 2010s, under the direction of the Royal Netherlands Football Association (KNVB).The system was tested through mock trials during the 2012–13 season of the Eredivisie, the country's top football league. In 2014, the KNVB petitioned the International Football Association Board (IFAB) to amend its laws of the games to allow the system to be used during more extensive trials. The IFAB approved trials and a pathway to full implementation during its 2016 general meeting. Lukas Brud, IFAB secretary, said "With all the 4G and Wi-Fi in stadia today...we knew we had to protect referees from making mistakes that everyone can see immediately", such as Thierry Henry’s handball that eliminated Ireland from qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup where the on-field referees were not in a position to view the infraction. Then-FIFA president Sepp Blatter, who was strongly against introducing new technology in football, was forced out of his post due to a corruption scandal in 2015, and the VAR proposal received a warm reception under his successor Gianni Infantino.
A live trial of the VAR system began in August 2016 with a United Soccer League match between two Major League Soccer reserve sides. Match referee Ismail Elfath reviewed two fouls during the match and, after consultation with video assistant referee Allen Chapman, decided to issue a red card and a yellow card in the respective incidents. Video reviews were introduced the following month during an international friendly between France and Italy.A "pitchside monitor" was introduced at the 2016 FIFA Club World Cup, allowing referees to review footage from the field.
The A-League in Australia became the first to use a VAR system in a top flight professional club competition on 7 April 2017, when Melbourne City played Adelaide United though this game was completed without the VAR being called upon.The first intervention by a VAR in a professional league game was seen on 8 April when Wellington Phoenix hosted Sydney FC. The VAR identified an illegal handball in the penalty area and awarded Sydney FC a penalty. The game finished in a 1–1 draw.[15][16] Major League Soccer in the United States introduced VARs in competitive matches during its 2017 season after the 2017 MLS All-Star Game on 2 August 2017. Its first official use came during a match between the Philadelphia Union and FC Dallas, invalidating a goal from the latter over contact made between a Dallas player and Philadelphia's goalkeeper.[VAR was used at an international level in the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup in June, where it was praised but its usefulness was questioned after a referee decision in the final match.
The VAR system was introduced in top flight European football by Bundesliga and the Serie A at the beginning of the 2017–18 season[and by La Liga at the beginning of the 2018–19 season. The system was also used at the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup in October. On 8 January 2018, VAR was trialled for the first time in England in the 2017–18 FA Cup game between Brighton & Hove Albion and Crystal Palace.,and the following day it was trialled for the first time in France in the Côte d'Azur derby game in the 2017–18 French League Cup. It was said to have worked well.
Italy opened the world's first VAR training centre in Coverciano in January 2018.
On 3 March 2018, the IFAB wrote the VARs into the Laws of the Game on a permanent basis.

History
VAR was conceived by the Refereeing 2.0 project in the early 2010s, under the direction of the Royal Netherlands Football Association (KNVB).The system was tested through mock trials during the 2012–13 season of the Eredivisie, the country's top football league. In 2014, the KNVB petitioned the International Football Association Board (IFAB) to amend its laws of the games to allow the system to be used during more extensive trials. The IFAB approved trials and a pathway to full implementation during its 2016 general meeting. Lukas Brud, IFAB secretary, said "With all the 4G and Wi-Fi in stadia today...we knew we had to protect referees from making mistakes that everyone can see immediately", such as Thierry Henry’s handball that eliminated Ireland from qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup where the on-field referees were not in a position to view the infraction. Then-FIFA president Sepp Blatter, who was strongly against introducing new technology in football, was forced out of his post due to a corruption scandal in 2015, and the VAR proposal received a warm reception under his successor Gianni Infantino.
A live trial of the VAR system began in August 2016 with a United Soccer League match between two Major League Soccer reserve sides. Match referee Ismail Elfath reviewed two fouls during the match and, after consultation with video assistant referee Allen Chapman, decided to issue a red card and a yellow card in the respective incidents. Video reviews were introduced the following month during an international friendly between France and Italy.A "pitchside monitor" was introduced at the 2016 FIFA Club World Cup, allowing referees to review footage from the field.
The A-League in Australia became the first to use a VAR system in a top flight professional club competition on 7 April 2017, when Melbourne City played Adelaide United though this game was completed without the VAR being called upon.The first intervention by a VAR in a professional league game was seen on 8 April when Wellington Phoenix hosted Sydney FC. The VAR identified an illegal handball in the penalty area and awarded Sydney FC a penalty. The game finished in a 1–1 draw.[15][16] Major League Soccer in the United States introduced VARs in competitive matches during its 2017 season after the 2017 MLS All-Star Game on 2 August 2017. Its first official use came during a match between the Philadelphia Union and FC Dallas, invalidating a goal from the latter over contact made between a Dallas player and Philadelphia's goalkeeper.[VAR was used at an international level in the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup in June, where it was praised but its usefulness was questioned after a referee decision in the final match.
The VAR system was introduced in top flight European football by Bundesliga and the Serie A at the beginning of the 2017–18 season[and by La Liga at the beginning of the 2018–19 season. The system was also used at the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup in October. On 8 January 2018, VAR was trialled for the first time in England in the 2017–18 FA Cup game between Brighton & Hove Albion and Crystal Palace.,and the following day it was trialled for the first time in France in the Côte d'Azur derby game in the 2017–18 French League Cup. It was said to have worked well.
Italy opened the world's first VAR training centre in Coverciano in January 2018.
On 3 March 2018, the IFAB wrote the VARs into the Laws of the Game on a permanent basis.

Thanks Sheffield - SEVEN years. If the best argument for VAR is 'Give it more time' then we are not in a good place!

Lest not forget that I've long since declared the 'pitch side monitor' the most deplorable aspect of VAR, as seen on pantomime soap opera TV around the world. So I commend the PGMOL's stance in showing it the red card
Alas, the utter resolution of the VAR to never concede that the OFR is wrong, has contradicted and scuppered the rejection of the dreaded monitor

The dynamics of the game just don't suit VAR . It can and will be improved upon, but I don't trust FIFA and IFAB to reverse the mess they've caused.
Get rid completely and start again from scratch imo (because I concede that technology is needed and could be beneficial)

The pitch side monitor argument is just clutching at straws to me. Martin Atkinson would surely have come to the same decision yesterday - more dissent, more time taken.

Agree with most of that BC just don't think the number of genuine errors corrected make it worth all the hassle and the delays to the game.

Thanks Sheffield - SEVEN years. If the best argument for VAR is 'Give it more time' then we are not in a good place!
Nope. Three years of actual usage at international and top-flight level.

Unless you want to include the multiple years for rugby and hockey to get to the stage where they could start to use the system for their international matches as well, which would turn their respective development timeframes into decades(!) and still with potential loopholes and issues, you're talking a low fraction of the time needed elsewhere, in a sport that makes the decisions harder by nature of the range of circumstances they cover and the number of different potential reasons for intervention and the method for intervention.

The best argument for VAR is that it's better than not having VAR, plain and simple. Is the system currently ideal? Of course not. Is it reasonable to expect improvements over the next several years? Yes.

Is it absurd that people are criticising VAR because of its misuse in the PL when it's now well-known that the PL have instructed referees to all but ignore the requirements as stated and avoid using the tool as intended? You bet!

Back