A&H

VAR Audio

The Referee Store
I agree VAR had to get involved in this one as DFK awarded when it was a PK. If you go back to my original question, if there wasn't a PK/DFK question does he still get sent to the monitor

Totally agree that if he's there for other means he sorts it out there and then.

It's a liveable error, if it can't be sorted post match. Am aware it probably can't be, am saying it should be in the interest of a potentially farcical review.
The other thing to think about is if VAR doesn't tell the referee to review the SFP they are probably both getting incorrect KMDs in the observation. I'm not sure saying to the observer "he was getting sent off anyway" would wash, then you have the issue of an incorrect refereeing / VAR decision making the suspension wrong, and the law of sod dictates that the player will score goals in the games he should have been suspended for.

Referees shouldn't have to worry about post-match suspensions. If a player who receives two cautions instead of a straight red can't be suspended for longer, it's up to the FA or competition organiser to change the regulations. If this happened in the Premier League (and the restart stayed the same), it would quite rightly be ridiculed.

Referees shouldn't have to worry about post-match suspensions. If a player who receives two cautions instead of a straight red can't be suspended for longer, it's up to the FA or competition organiser to change the regulations. If this happened in the Premier League (and the restart stayed the same), it would quite rightly be ridiculed.
No, referees should worry about giving the correct decision on the field of play, i.e. showing a straight red and not cautioning for an act of SFP. The fact that the player was already on a caution is immaterial.

The officials have to get it right at the time. The FA or any other governing body can't change it from a second caution to a red, and certainly not when VAR is in use.

The VAR protocol says

The referee may receive assistance from the VAR only in relation to four categories of match-changing decisions/incidents.

Changing one send off offence for another is not a match changing decision..

The VAR protocol says

The referee may receive assistance from the VAR only in relation to four categories of match-changing decisions/incidents.

Changing one send off offence for another is not a match changing decision..
Yes, but sanctioning something as SFP instead of reckless is absolutely within the remit of VAR.

Doesn't say which match, leaving it as a second caution could have affected future matches 😂
I agree this one should have changed because the ref awarded a FK. And it that was wrong as the offence is clearly in the penalty area.

I'm talking about a scenario where nothing other than a review to change the outcome from SBO to straight red.

I understand it might change the suspension but that's an error, as a spectator of the sport, I can live with. It protects the experience of the spectators in the ground and on Tele.

Wrong decisions happen all the time that change to course of games/seasons, they just don't fall into one of the 4 categories that are allowed to be changed. Wrong decisions are even allowed to stand by VAR as they are not clear and obviously wrong. So, to then start a load of pedantry about the same outcome just does not feel right in the spirit of the game, I just don't think football, outside of referees, would be really that bothered about, what is normally a min 90 second+ hold up where the end goal does not change. Football is a game that flows and it's arguable this type of review would negatively affect the offended against team who may just want to carry on and get on with the game to keep momentum.

I agree this one should have changed because the ref awarded a FK. And it that was wrong as the offence is clearly in the penalty area.

I'm talking about a scenario where nothing other than a review to change the outcome from SBO to straight red.

I understand it might change the suspension but that's an error, as a spectator of the sport, I can live with. It protects the experience of the spectators in the ground and on Tele.

Wrong decisions happen all the time that change to course of games/seasons, they just don't fall into one of the 4 categories that are allowed to be changed. Wrong decisions are even allowed to stand by VAR as they are not clear and obviously wrong. So, to then start a load of pedantry about the same outcome just does not feel right in the spirit of the game, I just don't think football, outside of referees, would be really that bothered about, what is normally a min 90 second+ hold up where the end goal does not change. Football is a game that flows and it's arguable this type of review would negatively affect the offended against team who may just want to carry on and get on with the game to keep momentum.
I see your point, but equally I'm pretty sure the authorities would want it correcting. As definitely would the VAR as (if it was in England, not sure how it works in Australia) he'd be getting a 7.9.

Just had a random thought regarding this thread: If a player is sent off for DOGSO (which, I believe, is normally a one match suspension) and it transpires that this is clearly and obviously wrong, but the player did in fact commit serious foul play (which is a standard 3 match ban) which the referee missed,

Would the referee consult the monitor, cancel the red card and then give another red card so that the correct suspension can be given? Sounds silly to me.

Just had a random thought regarding this thread: If a player is sent off for DOGSO (which, I believe, is normally a one match suspension) and it transpires that this is clearly and obviously wrong, but the player did in fact commit serious foul play (which is a standard 3 match ban) which the referee missed,

Would the referee consult the monitor, cancel the red card and then give another red card so that the correct suspension can be given? Sounds silly to me.
I think that's one that can be gotten away with in post match admin

Back