A&H

VAR Audio

The Referee Store
Brilliant. Now do it live.
What it really captures is that top level referees are actually very calm, logical, really smart and good at their job.
It removes all doubt and confusion about decisions and just think - the pundits will actually have to understand the laws as they will have heard why a decision was made a certain way.

Yeah, it's another great example. Complicated decision, probably would have made very little sense without the audio (you can even hear the commentators being confused and they typically do get the audio!) and absolutely an example of something that did need clarifying.

Interesting. To the untrained this is pedantry of the highest order.
Assuming he gave a FK which triggers the initial review?
Had the restart been correct initially surely the VAR doesn't get involved there?

Got the impression VAR was the more experienced official here, there was almost a touch of coaching taking place directing him what order to deal with it

It's a funny one isn't it, and it really depends on the A-league post-game discipline system. If there's something in place for the referee to go back after the game and say that actually, he should have shown red for SFP rather than for 2YC, then the player can still be given the (presumably) requisite 3-match ban and the on-field messing around was unnecessary.

I certainly don't get the impression this is the case in the UK - the long-running fiction that "the referees on-field decision is final" means I don't think this could just be tidied up after. Assuming Aus has the same philosophy then I suppose it did need to be done. Not clear if the FK/PK or the YC/RC was the reason for the review (I think PK), but VAR is definitely empowered to judge YC vs RC, so arguably they could have gotten involved to clear up that distinction regardless?

You also hear a cheer from the fans when the YC was "cancelled" - those fans were clearly therefore expecting their player to stay on, so it's definitely arguable that not doing this would have been the better process if it could be "fixed" post-game.

Had the restart been correct initially surely the VAR doesn't get involved there?
Would you not say that it was clear SFP? IMO it was, so VAR correct to get involved (I agree that to the casual viewer it would appear to be unnecessary, but here it would be the difference between the player being suspended for 1 match or 3 matches!)

Would you not say that it was clear SFP? IMO it was, so VAR correct to get involved (I agree that to the casual viewer it would appear to be unnecessary, but here it would be the difference between the player being suspended for 1 match or 3 matches!)

Its clear SFP to me and a missed red, so absolutely VAR correct to intervene.

length of ban has nothing to do with anything, VAR is responsible for reviewing potential straight red cards and it did.

I think that is great use of VAR, it is clear SFP and clearly in the area. The only minor criticism I would have is it would have been better for the referee to have gone and spoken to the players before pulling the card out and cancelling it before then showing red again. Just looked a bit messy and initially people seemed to think the sent off player wasn't actually getting sent off.

Wasn't great initial refereeing, as that is very clear SFP and shouldn't really need a VAR intervention.

Last edited:
I think that is great use of VAR, it is clear SFP and clearly in the area. The only minor criticism I would have is it would have been better for the referee to have gone and spoken to the players before pulling the card out and cancelling it before then showing red again. Just looked a bit messy and initially people seemed to think the sent off player wasn't actually getting sent off.

Wasn't great initial refereeing, as that is very clear SFP and shouldn't really need a VAR intervention.

Is this a case then of the referee knowing in short, they can show either card, as they know fine well they get a chance to " correct it"

Absolutely clear SFP. That is no doubt. But VAR mantra - Maximum benefit, minimum interference or whatever way round it's phrased.
You're going to hold the game up, to show a straight red to a player who has already been sent off for said offence by second yellow?
Irrespective of how egregious an error this is, because, let's face it, this is a bad one, what benefit does THIS game have from that?

Absolutely clear SFP. That is no doubt. But VAR mantra - Maximum benefit, minimum interference or whatever way round it's phrased.
You're going to hold the game up, to show a straight red to a player who has already been sent off for said offence by second yellow?
Irrespective of how egregious an error this is, because, let's face it, this is a bad one, what benefit does THIS game have from that?

how about when ten mins later the opponents make a similiar challenge and correctly the straight red is issued?

As much as I have no interest in suspensions, one team loses player one game, the other team lose their player for three.....

" this" game would now seem officiated unfairly

how about when ten mins later the opponents make a similiar challenge and correctly the straight red is issued?

As much as I have no interest in suspensions, one team loses player one game, the other team lose their player for three.....

" this" game would now seem officiated unfairly
I get it. But that's for the powers that be to sort out.
Not VAR in middle of game.
If the end result of a decision is the same as before the VAR check ie restart, team reduced to 10, surely no one (outside of a refereeing forum) wants the game delayed for that.

If the end result of a decision is the same as before the VAR check ie restart, team reduced to 10, surely no one (outside of a refereeing forum) wants the game delayed for that.
Perhaps not, but it is fully consistent with the VAR protocols. (I think the change years ago to actually show a second yellow instead of just showing the red as was previously done makes it more likely that this would be expected.)

ok what about to send out the message that serious foul play is a red card and not a yellow?

Same as a player on a yellow then commits v/c which the ref onfield has called as aggressive? You would then be in effect saying the punch is a yellow, when, the world needs to know its a red

Last edited:
ok what about to send out the message that serious foul play is a red card and not a yellow?

Same as a player on a yellow then commits v/c which the ref onfield has called as aggressive? You would then be in effect saying the punch is a yellow, when, the world needs to know its a red
Again, im not going to disagree. We all want the correct sanctions applied.

Also, look at this way...

We caution player...show 2nd yellow... He heads off down the tunnel fully accepting... We then get called to monitor... We then have to grab him back from the tunnel... To cancel his yellow... Then show him a red and promptly send him back down the tunnel.

I just don't think it's what VAR is intended for, as much as we both want all the things you've countered with

Again, im not going to disagree. We all want the correct sanctions applied.

Also, look at this way...

We caution player...show 2nd yellow... He heads off down the tunnel fully accepting... We then get called to monitor... We then have to grab him back from the tunnel... To cancel his yellow... Then show him a red and promptly send him back down the tunnel.

I just don't think it's what VAR is intended for, as much as we both want all the things you've countered with

Your example is a very valid point, suppose in that instance we could simply inform the coach, even via the 4th if needed, who can obv confirm whats happened with the tv link, inform the ground via screen etc

absolutely to haul the player back would be deterimental to everybody

I might agree, but VAR had to get involved to give the penalty anyway as the referee clearly gave a DFK, so they might as well sort out the red card at the same time. Also I'm not sure the powers that be could sort it out after, if the referee has given a second yellow I don;t think they could change that unless the referee corrects it himself on the pitch. Similar to how they can't charge someone if the match officials have seen it and not dealt with it, and would be very difficult to say they haven't seen it when they've watched it on VAR.

Like I said, a bit messy, but with the help of VAR they got it spot on both in terms of restart and sanction.

I might agree, but VAR had to get involved to give the penalty anyway as the referee clearly gave a DFK, so they might as well sort out the red card at the same time. Also I'm not sure the powers that be could sort it out after, if the referee has given a second yellow I don;t think they could change that unless the referee corrects it himself on the pitch. Similar to how they can't charge someone if the match officials have seen it and not dealt with it, and would be very difficult to say they haven't seen it when they've watched it on VAR.

Like I said, a bit messy, but with the help of VAR they got it spot on both in terms of restart and sanction.
I agree VAR had to get involved in this one as DFK awarded when it was a PK. If you go back to my original question, if there wasn't a PK/DFK question does he still get sent to the monitor

Totally agree that if he's there for other means he sorts it out there and then.

It's a liveable error, if it can't be sorted post match. Am aware it probably can't be, am saying it should be in the interest of a potentially farcical review.

He heads off down the tunnel fully accepting... We then get called to monitor... We then have to grab him back from the tunnel... To cancel his yellow... Then show him a red and promptly send him back down the tunnel.
seems to me a perfect example of a time that the captain can be used. Point at the tunnel. Show the captain the cancel yellow. Point at the tunnel again, and show the captain the red. No reason to get the player being sent off back. (I’d even be perfectly fine just telling the captains—the fans in the stand can read about it tomorrow, as it doesn’t affect today’s game,)

Back