A&H

VAR - Ajax vs Real Madrid

If we're going to be accurate, soccer is a term that was coined in England and has been used there (on and off) ever since. The name of Sky Sports' regular Saturday show is ...... "Soccer Saturday." Similarly, the title of George Best's annually-published book about the sport in the late 60's and early 70's was, "George Best's Soccer Annual."
Correct. Soccer is a shortening of the term 'Association Football' in a time when the two forms of the game were 'Association Football' and 'Rugby Football'. Hence the terms soccer and rugger respective.

The Referee Store
My view on the clip shown is Offside (inferfering with an opponent)
Without the attackers interference on the goalkeeper, the keeper has every chance to make a save

the attackers interference makes that impossible

My view on the clip shown is Offside (inferfering with an opponent)
Without the attackers interference on the goalkeeper, the keeper has every chance to make a save

the attackers interference makes that impossible

Under which of the 4 (or arguably 5) elements of interfering with an opponent?

IMHO, discussions of interfering with an opponent too often result in people asserting "interfering with an opponent" as they view it rather than as it is set out in the LOTG. I think in a referee discussion it is important when arguing for IWO to specify how--using the terms of Law 11--that interference occurred.

Reactions: one
Are we going to use facts to oppose snobbish pedantry? The horror. :eek:
I am offended by that. Actually the correct way to put it is my ego is a bit bruised :) . Pedantry, possibly, snobbish, ouch.

Australia has been going through a name change from soccer to football in recent years. I have been a member of a club management committee which approved the name change from "soccer club" to "football club". Also a management committee member of a local referee association who changed name from "soccer referee association" to "football referee association". Affiliated with local and state football associations and state referee associations which did the same. Well aware of the history and the name backgrounds as I did a fair bit of research a few years ago when we approved the name changes.

My name comment was put with a lot of humour intend and my tongue firmly stuck out of my cheeks. So long as it is not misinterpreted. (EDIT: The first line in this post about being offended and bruised ego is of the same nature)

Last edited:
Under which of the 4 (or arguably 5) elements of interfering with an opponent?

IMHO, discussions of interfering with an opponent too often result in people asserting "interfering with an opponent" as they view it rather than as it is set out in the LOTG. I think in a referee discussion it is important when arguing for IWO to specify how--using the terms of Law 11--that interference occurred.
Possibly by backing into the opponent, impairing them to be at their phisical best to make a save. Seems as good a reason as any as blocking someone's (the GK's view) is also enough to be interfering with play

Back