A&H

VAR - Ajax vs Real Madrid

The Referee Store
You are right bester, but it is a ludicrous decision. You could have had two keepers in the goal and they wouldn't have saved that, and the player in the offside position doesn't even come close to preventing Courtois from saving it.

Very harsh. Nobody would have batted an eyelid if the goal stood. Football did not expect this decision!!!

This a subjective and not a factual decision. The directives need to rewriting to make non- line offside decisions subject to the ‘clear and obvious’ criterion.

In this case I think any interference actually occurs before the header...

This a subjective and not a factual decision. The directives need to rewriting to make non- line offside decisions subject to the ‘clear and obvious’ criterion.

In this case I think any interference actually occurs before the header...
You make a good point. It was clear and obvious he was standing in an offside position, but his interference was not clear and obvious therefore there should have been no VAR intervention, despite being correct in law.

Here another angle.

Screenshot_20190214-113627__01.jpg

A very fine technicality in offside law. No offside for me.

It only at this very minute moment (the pic) that offside has to be considered as he becomes active in an offside position (not before it*). Has he violated any of the four "interfering with an opponent" clauses?

- Not obstructing vision
- Not challenging for the ball
- not attempting to play the ball
- Courtois had no 'ability to play the ball' at that very moment or later so no impact/interference on his ability to play the ball.

The last one is a debatable one though. But for me No offside. Even without Tadic from that moment, Courtois had no chance of playing the ball (@Dutch Referee Blog )

*He is not committing an offside offence until the ball touches the head (for the second header) as he was NOT in an onside position from the previous header.

Last edited:
I think this is much simpler than it looks. When the goalbound header happens, he’s in an offside position obviously affeecting the GK as he is touching him (trying to block him or whatever it is he’s doing).

I got really confused thinking it was the first play that had been called. But now I realise it’s the header I think this is a good VAR decision. And the Ajax player is silly for challenging the GK off the ball.

Does it make any difference if the keeper would have got there or not, is that taken into consideration ?

Does the attacker have any impact on the keeper, 100% he does, did it make any difference to the outcome, 99% sure it didn't.

Look at the keeper and the Real players reaction (and they appeal for almost everything) not one single player from what i can see challenges the original call of a goal.

That says it all for me.

Reactions: es1
I think this is much simpler than it looks. When the goalbound header happens, he’s in an offside position obviously affeecting the GK as he is touching him (trying to block him or whatever it is he’s doing).
Offside is often complex. Certainly this one. A simple offside would not have needed an OFR. Also see below comments :)

Does it make any difference if the keeper would have got there or not, is that taken into consideration ?
Yes it does if you want to follow the criteria in LOTG. A player in offside position simply impacting an opponent does not necessarily make it an offside offence. It has to be either

- Impacting an opponent when the PIOP is clearly attempting to play the ball which is close or
- Impact on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

For me (and i think for you) neither is the case here. If one thinks one of these two is the case then fine with me for offside but if one gives offside just because he has impacted an opponent's movement then it's wrong in law.

Last edited:
Just seen this thread, after having just posted a comment on another thread that the direction the IFAB has been clearly moving towards in recent years is that the offside-positioned player must have a direct impact on the opponent's ability to play the ball.

For me, the player in question has not directly impacted on Courtois' ability to play the ball, it was the trajectory of the ball that did that, so at the very least, it's debatable enough that as others have said, it didn't constitute the 'obvious error' that is required for subjective, non-factual decisions (such as whether a player is interfering with an opponent or not).

Reactions: one
80th minute. As Ajax keeper is about to kick a ball that is passed back to him, it bubble over a plastic cup that is thrown on the pitch and over the keeper's foot, then goes out over the goal line (thankfully not in between the posts). What is the restart?

80th minute. As Ajax keeper is about to kick a ball that is passed back to him, it bubble over a plastic cup that is thrown on the pitch and over the keeper's foot, then goes out over the goal line (thankfully not in between the posts). What is the restart?

Drop ball where object interfered with ball
Mike Jones likes this.

Reactions: one
You would think a referee appointed a UCL knock out game would know this or at least his AR/4th would whisper it the comms.

never saw it but if Sunderland (delighted as I was!) can score a goal in this way v Liverpool then, who know's what anybody is capable of !!

Tbh, I think in my game, if it innocently hit something and caused on problem, say, cup at half way line, then, if nobody is bothered, we play on (as incorrect in law as that is)
granted its prob as little hassle to say, guys, 2 secs, stop, clear the object, and drop ball

i like to think I would not let it influence anything. Jones was guilty that day of the equivalent of gross misconduct . interpretation of the laws, fine, but to totally blasphemous of them is something else

If there is no impact to the game then law actually has provisions to ignore it (interference when a goal is scored and it would have been a goal without interference).

The problem here is that a long clearance from Ajax turn into a corner kick for Real Madrid. What if Madrid scored off the corner?

EDIT: And the fact that every referee (every football fan) knows about how wrong Sunderland goal was, makes this incident even worse.

https://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2019/02/13/ajax-vs-real-madrid-highlights-full-match/#2
2nd half, 35:00 on the vid

Back