A&H

Vanishing spray

Sheff Ref

Level 6 Referee
So the PGMO has accepted the use of vanishing spray in the BPL and the football league is to trial it in the JPT. Will it become part of grass roots? I always thought that refereeing at premiership level would be kwpt as close to grass roots in terms of ref technology but there are now two recent developments which grassroots referees will seemingly miss out on. Goal line tech and vanishing spray! My personal opinion is that the spray works and is useful in serving its purpose

The Referee Store
The cost would need to reduce massively before it could be used in grassroots. Or the CFA's would need to supply it, but i can't see that happening as they are generally so tight that they squeak when they walk!

I assume its use will stay "at the refere's discression".

If I can manage a game without it, great - if it is insisted then either provided or the CFA will be getting an invoice from me, inc handling fee.

12 cans at 2 games a can, 24 games a season = £75 a season x 1274(ish) refs in London CFA = £95, 550.00

Someone is going to make a lot of money from it.

Now, where's my trade account catalogue........?

12 cans at 2 games a can, 24 games a season = £75 a season x 1274(ish) refs in London CFA = £95, 550.00

Someone is going to make a lot of money from it.

Now, where's my trade account catalogue........?
I am loving the sexy maths talk!

Does anyone really think we were missing something before the advent of the spray can? Did it really work at the world cup? I am still unconvinced it is not just a gimmick

There is very little point in it whatsoever especially at grass roots level. I have never finished a match and thought, "I could have seriously done with a can of spray in that game"!!! Premier League it will last 2 seasons max.

guys grass roots football will not have it unless you use it yourself which may even be looked upon as poor by an assessor ie like premier league coloured shirts we can not wear them constant verbal's at a prem ref nothing ,same at grass roots red see where were going its not for us

Last edited:
I went to a County IST (in service training) session on Friday

We were told - very clearly - we were not ALLOWED to use it at Grass Routes - and - County would be sanctioning any refs using it

One of the Tutors then showed us how it works !!

Have had a couple of comments in friendlies about it - I say I use my invisible spray instead :)

I went to a County IST (in service training) session on Friday

We were told - very clearly - we were not ALLOWED to use it at Grass Routes - and - County would be sanctioning any refs using it

One of the Tutors then showed us how it works !!

Have had a couple of comments in friendlies about it - I say I use my invisible spray instead :)

Under what rule or regulation are they going to bring charges against referees that use it?

Once again, CFA's making things up as they go along........might just buy myself a couple of tins now......and look forward to the impending charges from the CFA!

It's up to each member association to say if / how the spray will be used ... mine has said "no" so that'll do for me

It's up to each member association to say if / how the spray will be used ... mine has said "no" so that'll do for me

But they have threatened to charge any referees who use it......so i would be curious to know under what regulation they would bring the charge?

again cant argue with that but...................................................
cant go there

Back