A&H

Vanishing spray

Ben448844

RefChat Addict
Is vanishing spray permitted I the FA Vase? I didn't think it was but I saw it in use yesterday so presumably it is?

The Referee Store
A
Is vanishing spray permitted I the FA Vase? I didn't think it was but I saw it in use yesterday so presumably it is?
As you get towards the final rounds of the FA Vase, the officiating teams in operation become higher and higher level. As such, I'd fully expect them to use the many and varied tools that they are already familiar with (buzzer flags, comms, spray etc) to better control the game. The only wrinkle to this is that those officials also need to include sin bins into their repertoire for these games, despite not using them in their everyday matches on higher leagues. Although if you are a 2B or higher referee officiating Step 5 teams then you'd hope not to be getting much dissent in any case!

A

As you get towards the final rounds of the FA Vase, the officiating teams in operation become higher and higher level. As such, I'd fully expect them to use the many and varied tools that they are already familiar with (buzzer flags, comms, spray etc) to better control the game. The only wrinkle to this is that those officials also need to include sin bins into their repertoire for these games, despite not using them in their everyday matches on higher leagues. Although if you are a 2B or higher referee officiating Step 5 teams then you'd hope not to be getting much dissent in any case!
This was quite a lively game with plenty of dissent and the sin bin was correctly used. It stemmed from a penalty decision which the referee looks to have got wrong but that's football and a different matter. But footballers don't care what level the ref is, they just want to win.

I understand that higher level referees are used in the latter rounds and that they'll use all their tools, my question is based on the fact that I thought it was in the competition rules that it couldn't be used, although having read them I couldn't find reference to it so I may well be wrong here.

This was quite a lively game with plenty of dissent and the sin bin was correctly used. It stemmed from a penalty decision which the referee looks to have got wrong but that's football and a different matter. But footballers don't care what level the ref is, they just want to win.

I understand that higher level referees are used in the latter rounds and that they'll use all their tools, my question is based on the fact that I thought it was in the competition rules that it couldn't be used, although having read them I couldn't find reference to it so I may well be wrong here.

Searching through this site, it appears that it must have been here that I learnt about vanishing spray not being used in FA competitions. This source was helpfully provided by @JamesL In 2020 and clearly states that spray is only to be used in the PL, JPL & FA Cup. Perhaps there's been an update since?

Last edited:
spray is only to be used in the PL, JPL & FA Trophy.
I'm almost certain they use it in the EFL, EFL Cup, EFL Trophy, and FA Cup (3rd round onwards?). Might just be me but I'm sure this is the case. Also, it must have changed since as that source is now 10 years old.

Last edited:
I'm almost certain they use it in the EFL, EFL Cup, EFL Trophy, and FA Cup (3rd round onwards?). Might just be me but I'm sure this is the case.

Sounds right to me, but what about the Vase? To be clear, I have no problem with the use of it, the question is more around whether it's now allowed in the competition rules?

In the FA Vase, it's probably used later on in the competition when the matches are refereed by PL/EFL referees. Since 2020, the finals, have been refereed by people including Michael Salisbury and Sam Barrott, both of whom now referee in the Premier League, and Anthony Backhouse, an SG2 ref, so that's probably why. I have never looked at the Vase comp. rules so I'm not sure, but if they use it, it can't be specifically banned surely.

I'm almost certain they use it in the EFL, EFL Cup, EFL Trophy, and FA Cup (3rd round onwards?). Might just be me but I'm sure this is the case. Also, it must have changed since as that source is now 10 years old.
Council Tax legislation is 32 years old. Makes it no less relevant in lieu of any other legislation/direction/guidance/directive on the matter I would say the source is as relevant today as it was then.

I note from a little research that it was further adopted by Football League in 2015 after the trials mentioned in that article from 2014.

I suspect that it's like Comms kits, I have never found anything specifically written down but it's reasonably common knowledge that you're not supposed to use them in games below Step 1, without permission being sought.

(I've checked FA handbook, FA Cup comp rules and Google searched)

Its probably an if you're at a level where you have the kit given to you, you can use it on the games in which you are appointed and so, where the referees are of a senior level, they can use it, having been trained to use it.

The training to use it must be very vigorous!!
I was thinking more around the Comms... Although there is probably some COSHH and handling training that has to be done to keep the H&S and legal folks happy.

Worlds a bit mad like that. I once spilt some food in my office and I wasn't allowed to clean it up as I want COSHH trained. I laughed and said I would use that excuse tonight when my wife asks me to do the dishes... (I also felt bad that someone else had to clean my mess, but apparently that's the world we live in).

I was thinking more around the Comms... Although there is probably some COSHH and handling training that has to be done to keep the H&S and legal folks happy.

Worlds a bit mad like that. I once spilt some food in my office and I wasn't allowed to clean it up as I want COSHH trained. I laughed and said I would use that excuse tonight when my wife asks me to do the dishes... (I also felt bad that someone else had to clean my mess, but apparently that's the world we live in).

Sounds like that person doesn't understand COSHH regs :)

From looking at the relevant fixtures, at least two of the appointed referees would have access to comms/vanishing spray.

Back