A&H

USB?

richard ramjane

RefChat Addict
I was playing on Saturday and we were awarded a goal kick.
our keeper went to fetch the ball which had sailed a fair distance wide of the mark, and he threw the ball to a defender who took the goal kick, straight to our keeper who had just come back onto the pitch just outside the penalty area.
he then dribbled the ball into the area and picked it up, everyone was looking at each other quizzically and it was just something was wrong about the whole thing that didnt sit right. we asked the ref if we were allowed to do that and he said yes, thats fine.
in hindsight maybe a yellow for USB, as we had circumvented the LOTG as per a defender flicking a ball up to head back to the keeper scenario?
any thoughts / input please?

The Referee Store
Cheeky ... but seems entirely legal to me. You'd hope the other team would be wise to it for the rest of the match after the first time it happened!

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Goal kick taken, ball has left the penalty area so is now in (open) play. The GK is always allowed to dribble the ball back into his area and pick it up (except of course if he receives it direct from a throw in or he's already picked it up once in his area). :)

Surely that's an IDFK from the point at which your keeper picked the ball up?

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area...
• touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate

Doesn't mention where the keeper may or not be when receiving the ball, just that he cannot touch the ball with his hands in his area once the ball has been deliberately kicked to him.

I wouldn't be going down the circumvention route here, they probably didn't think about it.

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area...
• touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate

Doesn't mention where the keeper may or not be when receiving the ball, just that he cannot touch the ball with his hands in his area once the ball has been deliberately kicked to him.

I wouldn't be going down the circumvention route here, they probably didn't think about it.
i'm not sure in all honesty, as the ball wasnt in play until it had left the area ? so does that count as being kicked to him by a team mate? he's effectively kicked it to himself

My first thought.
But as Richard says, the ball isn't actually in play when it's kicked to him so I went with my option.
Interesting incident though, since technically, your answer is what the LOTG says..... :confused:

yup, we were all confused as we'd never seen it before, but to be fair the ref was immediate and confident with his response and we all moved on, there were no issues... in fact i think if he'd given IDFK we'd have accepted that... or a booking...
just think in a more feisty encounter it might cause an official issues

Why on earth would you want to do this in the first place?
i think it was just laziness on our keepers behalf he was on his way back to the pen area and the defender was in place to take the kick so passed it to our goalie... he's not our usual keeper, and plays centre half usually, so he'd spent a fair amount of time outside the box with the ball at his feet up until that point anyway !

Got to be an IDFK

Doesn't matter the circumstance. It's a deliberate pass to the keeper

The ball isn't in play when it's kicked to him. The circumstances are always important.

Kicking the ball into your own net results in a goal to the other team normally, but if you do it straight from your own corner kick, no goal is awarded. Another example when the circumstances are important. :)

The ball isn't in play when it's kicked to him. The circumstances are always important.

Kicking the ball into your own net results in a goal to the other team normally, but if you do it straight from your own corner kick, no goal is awarded. Another example when the circumstances are important. :)

Nothing to do with the post. I'm talking about that example. It's a deliberate pass to the keeper

The LOTG does not include a condition that the ball has to be in play when talking about a backpass......

Therefore it's an IDFK, clearly a deliberate kick to the GK.

The LOTG does not include a condition that the ball has to be in play when talking about a backpass......

Therefore it's an IDFK, clearly a deliberate kick to the GK.
i think i have to agree with this, theres no doubt that it was a deliberate kick to the keeper, so that was essentially a backpass which he was not entitled to handle? but, what do you think of the USB element of that ?

No. Seems an accidental bit of dumbness from the keeper rather than a clever trick

yup, i dont think SM was not acknowledging that, but responding to my 'was it USB' question
so in essence, IDFK and no caution looks favourite

Reactions: SM
Back