A&H

USA v Ghana

DJIC

Great example & reminder of Playing in a Dangerous manner = indirect free kick.

‘Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player themself) and includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.,

From 5 mins, but the judgement of distance of the 9.15m 🙈 oh dear!

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...z40FegQIJBAI&usg=AOvVaw30LLsoAnO09iYie0Lhyqj_

Attachments

• 1697664724363.jpeg
    1697664724363.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 23
The Referee Store
Yeah. Good analysis clip. Also a good example that IFK can be DOGSO. Would anyone give this as DOGSO?
If given as DOGSO, is it attempting to play the ball and a downgraded DOGSO?

I don't have too much problem with the 10 yards. It's prob a little short. Camera angles can be deceiving. Pen mark is 12 yards from goal line. The ball is a little closer than pen mark and wall is somewhere between 1-2 yards away from goal line.

Last edited:
Yeah. Good analysis clip. Also a good example that IFK can be DOGSO. Would anyone give this as DOGSO?
If given as DOGSO, is it attempting to play the ball and a downgraded DOGSO?

I don't have too much problem with the 10 yards. It's prob a little short. Camera angles can be deceiving. Pen mark is 12 yards from goal line. The ball is a little closer than pen mark and wall is somewhere between 1-2 yards away from goal line.
The "wall" is nearly 9.15m back, but there are two defenders on the right no more than 3m from the ball.

I haven’t gone back to rewatch, as I watched the game, but I didn’t think it was an OGSO at the time. A GSO, but not an O one. (Though I was also focussed on the “wow” of seeing PIADM called in an international match!)

but wouldn’t have to team the scene much to make it an OGSO. And just imagine the firestorm on the pitch if that happened…

Great call on the IDFK.

DOGSO considerations are considerations. OK one consideration is in doubt - control of the ball. If you take away the offending player you can make case either way I think that the GK might get there.

I don’t think football expects a RC here and the match is gone if you give one - but DOGSO RC is supportable IMHO.

I don’t like no card here. Surely there’s a USB offence here - either SPA or conduct. I think a YC would have presented better.

And then at this level you need to get the defenders back the full distance. If they hadn’t scored it would have been mayhem!

I think he got this spot on, and actually agree with the no card. It’s a freak occurrence and no defender expects to end up sat on the ball in his own penalty area. The ball rolls back between his legs and from that point it’s tough for him to get out of it. IFK seems plenty enough.

I think he got this spot on, and actually agree with the no card. It’s a freak occurrence and no defender expects to end up sat on the ball in his own penalty area. The ball rolls back between his legs and from that point it’s tough for him to get out of it. IFK seems plenty enough.
You think it is accidental?

(Not that it necessarily makes a difference to the offence, just asking;))

I think he accidentally gets into the position, but then doesn’t make any effort to get out of it. But I can forgive that given it all happens very quickly. I’d card if I thought the player had deliberately engineered a situation in which the ball was unplayable.

A card for SPA would certainly be defensible, but I don’t think the game expects it here. And I don’t think it would have helped sell, either. I think it would have just ramped up the frustration with the call.

A card for SPA would certainly be defensible, but I don’t think the game expects it here. And I don’t think it would have helped sell, either. I think it would have just ramped up the frustration with the call.
Agree, any kind of sanction here would just be pouring fuel on the fire that was already burning. It could be SPA, but I'd argue a free hit at goal was better than the opportunity they had before the offence was committed.

Fair play to the referee for giving the IDFK. I think a lot would find a cheap defensive free kick here

Fair play to the referee for giving the IDFK. I think a lot would find a cheap defensive free kick here
Often there would be an appropriate defensive FK. Credit goes to the attackers for not stupidly kicking the defender on the ball. (It almost seemed like the attackers knew it would be an offense to cover the ball like that and the defenders didn’t.)

Back